ROTEL RA-985BX Integrated Amplifiers

100 Watt Stereo Integrated Amplifier w/ Remote

USER REVIEWS

[Jun 10, 2018]
Tede

Strength:

If u can : get your own - best is its detail, speed-slam and fun way of playing I was lucky paring this width Tannoy Revoution/Yamaha cd-n500 best combo ever heard (not even Rotel Ra-1592, Denon PMA-1600 nor Marantz 8012 beats it side by side test) so i had too keep it

There is of course limits to power, but overall strong

Price Paid:
1998
[Jun 04, 2011]
Winston
Audio Enthusiast

This amp amazes me from the first time i pushed the power button and hit play on the CD Player. This open and wide stage and dynamic with a extremely fast and punching bass and unbelivable depth. The clarity of hights and mids are wonderful and you can almost grip into the seperation. I was lucky to get this beautyful amp via ebay. My wife isnt a audio enthusiast, but after she listend her CD´s on this amp in combo with ASW´s she told me, she never before heard that kind of detail and punch in the music. Great Stuff and if you get grip on one at ebay, go for it !

[Feb 05, 2005]
STIFA
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

DETAIL DYNAMICS TREMENDOUS TREMENDOUS HUGE BASS EASY LISTEN

remote could be better organised but its cool when you get used.

I bought this wonderful integrated from a friend and it was the best sonic upgrade I have made in last 2 years. I was so surprised when first notes hit the air, It was damn EXCITING. rotel ra985bx nad c542 audioquest/vdh bi-wired B&W 802 You could imagine my surprise , because I have heard/owned following : Rotel Ra/02, 1070 Nad (almost all , not impressed but good CD players from NAD) Arcam Diva and FMJ range (wonderful) Electrocompaniet 3 Linn Karin, Musical fidelity (too much $) and this Rotel beats them all in terms of DETAIL and EXCITEMENT. Thought I have heard it all till now but this amp made me realise how much detail is implemented in music. Another DAMN good thing about this integrated is DYNAMICS. It kicks so fast and without loss of detail that is labeled by many that came in my house as "most heart-shaking amp I ever bought". Bypassable tone controls, many inputs, zone operation for second room ,bi-wire quality outputs, remote.:) Tried it with many CD players and it draws every single bit of data out of them. Try Nad or Arcam CD players they are a mind-blowing match with Rotel. Another thing is easy-listen with so much dynamics that at very low volume you can hear all the details without loss of bass/dynamics/detail. AWESOME. Thought I found my match with Musical Fidelity for last 15 years in this area but this made me shiver.Really. Sound is best described as: detailed and crisp highs smooth and forward mids fat and controlled bass Could be descaribed best as the "american" sound with parts of "english" sound. Very near Adcom ,Arcam and other. So natural.

see above

[Jul 12, 2004]
zamario
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Sound, sound, sound

None, it worked perfectly for more than 7 years and it is still working wonderfully

I have owned this amp for about 7 years and I just think it is GREAT! Sound is perfect, controlled and very musical. I don't know if it is possible to find better for the price and, if you find it second hand just go for it. I recently decide to change setup for a Home Cinema system and even if I spent much more I still don't have the same quality on stereo!!

Arcam, Technics, Rotel

[Mar 15, 2004]
ppeter1
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

None

Looks ugly,sounds ugly

Received as a trade-in for more expensive gears which i have sold.It was my worse amp.in my 30 years hi-fi experience!!!Even with cables such as VdH First and Wind was unlistenable!Without finesse,lacking freq.extremes,it has only power and nothing else!Smaler Rotel's sounds better!

many!

[Dec 17, 2002]
GhostlyFriend
AudioPhile

Strength:

Warm, smooth but accurate bass Astounding female voices Top of the bill for classical and jazz

None yet (well, the remote then, but others have said that and once you get used to it, it doesn't matter anymore)

Well here's another absolutely positive comment on this remarkable amp. I play a Rotel RCD 991 and ELAC CL 202 speakers. After more than a year the sound still smashes me. The bass is present but smooth. It is as if you can hear the thumb against the strings. Female voices are awesome, Barbra's Send in the Clowns lifts you straight into other levels of awareness. It gives a very broad and deep soundscape. The music is everywhere in you room.

NAD 302

[Dec 14, 2002]
georgec
Audio Enthusiast

I have owned this integrated amplifier for about 7 years now. I have to say, it is one great sounding piece of equiptment. I have it powering Vandersteen 2Ces, and coupled with a Rotel 955 CD player. The sound is crisp and clear. Listening to Paul Simon or Sarah McClaughlin is really enjoyable. The soundstage is open, with instruments and vocalists sounding as though they are in the room. I mean, you can hear very subtle sounds like a slight parsing of lips or inhaling from a flute player. The bass is also tight and driving, but never muddled. I have been very happy with this piece and would recommend it highly. At its price, no wonder Rotel stands for value in hi-fi stereo.

[Jul 23, 2002]
George
Audio Enthusiast

To the reviewer below - you silly listener. Who tries to run a surprisingly difficult 4 ohm load with a Rotel integrated? No wonder it crapped out all the time. Get yourself some appropriate amplification. This is a great amplifier when paired with speakers of decent efficiency (don't try anything under a six ohm load or 88db sensitivity) You'd need to spend more than the retail price for this Rotel to get an amplifier for those speakers. This is great mid-fi equipment. I give it a high rating because that's what it is, it doesn't pretend to be able to drive high-end speakers who present those kind of loads. Recommendations - give it a separate power outlet, replace the stock jumpers, give it relatively efficient bookshelfs or small floorstanding speakers. This is not an extraodianrily high current amplifier, so it will not be for tough speakers. Within the confines of the price, its tough to beat. Also try the Arcam integrateds. Just don't dilude yourself by believing this is a replacement for Classe, or some other serious power amp. But if you recognize it for what it is, good value for the money, you will be very satisfied with this purchase. If you want an integrated for difficult loads, you'll have to spend around the $1600 price range (retail)... consider a Musical Fidelity A300.

[Mar 27, 2002]
gashuffer
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

True 100 watts right down to the bottom end, value for money.

Stupid amount of heat created, piss poor reliability.

I''ve had my Rotel for about five years now, and while I''ve grown to love it''s warm, albeit sometimes mid-harsh sound, I''m sick and tired of it breaking. Now I must admit I beat the living crap out of it, running a pair of Seas Odin''s (A surprisingly difficult 4 ohm load) full bore every weekend, but it''s failure rate is depressingly high. Initially something got cooked from the rediculous amount of heat that the amp produces, so I installed a fan. Now I seem to blow some sort of fuse every couple of months. I don''t really know the cause of the fuses blowing, which makes me sound like a wanker, but I''ll ask the going-to-get rich-off-me tech guy what the hell is going on this time. It''s too bad, because for the money it''s really a very nice amplifier. Right now I''m running my Odin''s off a Denon 3300 av amp and it blatently just doesn''t have the balls. One other thing, the remote is a complete joke. My poorly designed battery terminals broke after two battery changes.

Bryston 2b, Denon AV3300, Luxman R-117

[Jan 12, 2000]
Greg Mohler
Audiophile

Strength:

Clarity, Dynamics, Smoothness

Plastic knobs!

After listening to many integrayeds over the past year I decided on what gave the best bang for the buck. The Rotel combines a lot of the traits found in other amps to produce an engaging sound at all extremes.WHile I wouldn't point out one particular strength I would say that it provides clean detailed highs along with controlled robust bass and clean spacious mids. It is very powerful and can drive many speakers to loud extemes most amps under a grand cant. For $800 list it has the best combo of attributes in an integrated under a grand in my opinion.

Acurus DIA150, Creek 4330R, Bryston B60R, AR Complete