Plinius 9200 Integrated Amplifiers

200W x 2 into 8 ohms, phono input, preamp out, tape loop, processor loop.

Lance B   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 11, 2007]
Strength:

Dynamic, clean, clear, extended tight bass with an excellent sound stage.

None.

Wow, what a revelation!
The Plinius 9200 amp with 200W/channel into 8ohms and 340W/channel into 4ohms certainly has plenty of grunt. My speakers are the Orpheus Aurora 3's and as they are 4ohm I have plenty of power on tap to drive them to realistic sound levels.
Treble is clear, detailed and smooth with absolutley no harshness or hardness. You can hear every little nuance of the high frequencies with crystal clear precision.
Midrange is clear, dynamic and has plenty of depth and width to the instruments and vocals to give a very wide and involving soundstage.
Bass is tight and so well controlled, very well extended, not a hint of muddiness, and very dynamic. The bass kicks you in the guts and keeps on going never letting up the pace.
The overall sound is warm and inviting and with superb dynamics that give a realism I have never experienced in an amp.
When I first connected it up and listened to a few of my favourite tracks, both my son and I were simply amazed and couldn't believe how good this amplifier sounds.

Customer Service

Have not needed it.

Similar Products Used: Marantz PM64 II which has 100W/channel inot 8ohm and 170W/channel into 4ohm. The Plinius creams it!
Lance B   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 10, 2007]
Strength:

Extended bass, delicate clean treble, intricate, wide sound stage, low distortion even at high listening levels, brutal dynamics.

None that I can hear!!

Wow, what a revelation!
My previous amp was a Marantz PM64 II with 100W/Channel and quarter A class which was considered a very good amp in its day. The Plinius blows it away, dynamics, clarity, depth, sound stage and bass extension are all outstanding. This amp is brutal, yet delicate, I am hearing intricate details of music that I had not heard before.
The treble region is never harsh or grating, but smooth, detailed and delicate.
Bass extension is amazing as it drives my Orpheus Aurora 3's with authority that commands attention. When I first connected the amp up and played some of my favourite music, my son and I sat there in amazement saying that it can't be that good! I have since had others listen and they also are amazed. Every note of bass is controlled, and never muddy, grunt applenty!
Midrange and sound stage are amazing. There is depth as well as width to the music and clarity that is spectacular. With a good recording you can hear the type of room the musicians are playing in.
My Aurora 3 speakers are 4 ohm and the Plinius 9200 can deliver well over 300W/Channel into a 4 ohm load and with this much power on tap it has a commanding control over all aspects of the frequency response.
Of major delight is the lack of distortion. It isn't until you try and talk to someone sitting next to you that you realise how loud the music is and you have to shout, a mark of lack of distortion. Nowhere in the frequency range is there any discernable distortion at these very high levels of playback.
Dynamics are in another class. It kicks you in the guts and keeps going, never letting up to the point that you think you are there with the musicians.
Highly recommended!

Customer Service

Have not needed it.

Similar Products Used: Marantz PM64 II with 100W/Channel into 8 om and 170W/Channel into 4ohm.
mtaha   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 10, 2005]
Strength:

Terrific Sounstage Warm Incredible detail High value for the money

none

I have bought the Plinius 9200 more than a month ago and so far I am totally impressed by its performance. Its music stage is wide and deep and the high frequencies are incredible. It is very warm with a great amount of detail. I know that my source Onkyo DV-SP502 is the weak link in my system and also the Dynaudios are stronger on the lower end but I feel that the Plinius compensates for all of that.

Chris K   AudioPhile [Mar 08, 2005]
Strength:

Very musical amplifier.

None

This is a very fine and musical amplifier. At the same time is very accurate in the reproduction of any type of music. It has excellent high frequency response with alot of air , excellent mid frequency response ( voices) and very good low frequencies. The voices are very close to a good single ended 300B amplifier but with better dynamic headroom. If my memory serves me right it is very close or even better than a Plinius SA100 MKIII with an M16 pre amp that I used to have a few years ago.It is part of my main system and I use it on a daily basis, I do not need to use my single ended 300b amplifiers any more and this is a great achievement for Plinius.

Similar Products Used: I have been an audio enthusiast for the last 30 years and have used most of the well known European and American hi end equipment, you name it and I have used it, also I have used alot of so called underground staff .
jack43   AudioPhile [Oct 12, 2004]
Strength:

Marvelous deep, wide soundstage with fantastic dynamics and inner detail.

Remote only controls mute and volume, but thats it as far as I am concerned.

At the urging of a friend who was long time in the high end audio business, I put his Plinius 9200 into my system. Absolutely blew me away--replaced about $10K of well known high end preamp and amp and blew both of them away. I have long been a 'snob' regarding integrateds, but no longer. I'm not a professional reviewer so I don't have the appropriate vocabulary. Just do yourself a huge favor and listen to this!! Absolutely one of the great sleeper steals out there. And, you get a wonderful phono stage to go along with this deal. I have no idea how the Kiwis pulled of this magic.

Janek   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 07, 2004]
Strength:

Excellent dynamics, resolution, 3D soundstage. Very musical and involving.

None

In my search for a new integrated amplifier I listened to Plinius 8100. It was musical, involving piece of equipment. A good sign. I ordered Plinius 9200. When it arrived ......... OK it needed burn in. After the burn in which took about a month Plini plays wonderfully. Soundstage is expansive and 3D. It's high resolution allows spatial cues pass through and recreate ambience of the venue. Spacious sound indeed. Bass is powerful and so well controlled. Art Blakey is a real thunder. The amp is so dynamic. When I listen to my friends equipment their CDP's seem to slow down. And vocals, they are so involving that a few hours with music pass so quickly and you want more. Highs, well, I can listen to some old jazz recordings for the first time and with pleasure. Smooth, without any hint of aggressiveness and extended. Plini just plays music.

jack43   AudioPhile [Aug 13, 2004]
Strength:

Bottomless power, very believable soundstage, incredible inner detail

Slight amount of noise on phono, may just be an abberation on my unit as I understand that the phono stage is normally very quiet

This is an absolutely amazing product. I replaced a Levinson 330 Amp and an ARC LS25B Mk II and the 9200 absolutely smokes them! Marvelous authority, speed yet delicate high end. Wide, deep soundstage. Phono is terrific. I was a skeptic on integrateds but no more. I go to lots of live chamber concerts and the Plinius sounds like live music. Even captures the wonderful energy of Cello low notes. You have to hear to believe, because I didn't! It's not just a great value for the money, it's an incredible amp period.

Similar Products Used: Never used an integrated before...
hifi1971   AudioPhile [Aug 05, 2004]
Strength:

Very enjoyable to listen to. Zero listening fatigue but very involving. Very powerful integrated. Excellent phono stage built in. Great build quality. 7 year warranty. Attractive appearance. Very good value considering ittakes up little space and outperforms many higher priced separates - tube or ss.

None. Plinius should make a matching CD player.

Extremely musical and coherant amp. The 200 watts/channel drive my Avalon's with great authority and control. There is a tremendous amount of detail but is utterly natural and "live" sounding. No high frequency harshness at all. Superb amount of resolution that does not highlight the music unrealistically. This amp simply sounds more like instruments and voices rather than a piece of electronics. Could be left on all the time and does not use a lot of power while it is standing by. Nice solid remote. The only similar magic I've had with my system were with the Pass Aleph series - but the muscle of the 9200 is addicting and more satisfying. These New Zealander's know their Hifi!

Similar Products Used: Plinius 8200, Audio Refinement, Krell, ARC
Circleman   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 11, 2004]
Strength:

Very involving & live sounding. Enjoyable Natural presentation of music.

You need to hear the 9200 to appreciate the way it handles a piece of music. Ideally a well recorded piece. I haven't heard a more involving amp in my system since I got into this 20 years ago. Instead of doing the typical bass, midrange, treble impressions. I think what impressed me the most was how well everything is woven together as a coherent musical whole. Most impressive was the "live" quality that was taking place in the room. It made me forget all about the audiophile stuff and just get lost into the music. I will say from my experience that Plinius amps need to be left on to sound their best. They also benefit from a good quality powercord and a dedicated line. I listen mainly to vinyl and the phono stage is superb. I listen to mostly acoustic music, jazz and classical and it handles the demands of each effortlessly with authority and grace. The cost/performance ratio is extremely high. I have nothing but praise for the 9200. Highly Recommended

Similar Products Used: Plinius 8200mk2
mcgee   AudioPhile [Jul 08, 2004]
Strength:

Tube-like smoothness. Very high resolution and detail as well. Superb build quality. Great value.

Remote only controls volume and mute function. Lack of dealers.

Great integrated amp that rivals the best separates. Smooth, dynamic and detailed. I have owned tube systems for years but was tired of worrying about leaving them on too long or for background music. Also, the bass was good but not great. The 9200 lets you have the best of both worlds. It has the sweetness of tubes without a hint of any loss of resolution. It has the frequency extremes that solid state is know for while retaining the "magic" in the midrange I thought only tubes could produce. This one is a keeper. It reminds me of my CJ setup but with much more power. I used to have a 8200 mk2 as well - which was excellent. But the 9200 has greater bass control, better dynamics and the same great midrange. The difference is pretty obvious.

Similar Products Used: Plinius 8200 mk2. ARC CA-50. Conrad Johnson CAV-50. CJ Premier 11a. Audiable Illusions. Arcam FMJ. Meridian.