Plinius 8200 Integrated Amplifiers

The Plinius 8200 Integrated amplifier is our attempt to blend the performance of the SA series power amplifiers with the capabilities of the M series preamplifiers. Internally the 8200 incorporates a power amplifier based on the SA series circuit and a line level preamplifier based on the M16's line stage. In addition there is a phono preamplifier of unique design to satisfy vinyl lovers. For home theatre use there is an externally accessible processor loop with connectors on the rear panel.

Fred44   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 24, 2003]
Strength:

The quality of sound and build. Bargin price.

Remote and odd location of mute button.

This is a review of the 8200 MKI, which I bought on sale as at the time Plinius had just released the MKII. The biggest thing I noticed was it takes a good month or more for the bass to fill in. As some of the other reviewers have mentioned it gets noticably better over that first couple of months. I have only listened to the MKII and the 9200 models in the shop and they were not run in so I can't really make any comparisons. However I have had a good listen to an old Plinius SA50 and by comparison it had a much weighter, smoother sound; although the soundstage seemed lower than my 8200. These amps are absolute bargins in New Zealand. The only downsides is the remote which only works from close quarters and is rather too mechanical in operation. Also the mute button on the amp would be better on the front.

pissillo   AudioPhile [Jan 05, 2003]
Strength:

Honest presentation

A bit closed in. Lacks a certain magic.

I lived quite happily with the 8200 for about 6 months. I use it with Maggie 1.6s.There is really nothing this amp does wrong. It is an honest amp. I've had the pleasure of Rowland Concentra I and II, Classe CAP150, Rega Mira, and recently Continuum Unison. The phono stage is quite good. It controls the bass with a firm grip. It lacks the harmonic richness of the Concentras, but that may be an unfair comparison, given the price discrepancy. For me, it was more than adequate. Now I've upgraded to Coda's Stage amp and the changes are remarkable, not at all subtle. The depth and width of soundstage has improved. Detail and bass have improved. It moved me to upgrade to 3.6s. For the money and all that you get, the 8200 is very nice. I would be interested in hearing the MK II, which has much greater current capacity.

Similar Products Used: Concentra I and II, Classe CAP 150, Continuum Unison, Rega Mira.
richardc   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 13, 2002]
Strength:

very detail, smooth & rich sounding with greater ambiance and stage depth. This is one high end integrated that you find only in the higher end audio pre/power separates. Very value for the money!

Require thorough run in. Remote controller tends to be bulky & a hassle to change battery.

After several serious auditions, I decided to consider integrated amp. Yes, like many, I'm skeptical about Integrated & would only want a pre/power separates. But I reckoned that a good quality built pre/power separates tends to come from the higher end category; not really good value for the money, after all, it got to be good when you pay so much more. Then my perspective change when I audit the Plinius 8200. It's like having an expensive pre/power separates all-in-one. The standard of integrated has certainly improved & the 8200 is really a class higher than most amps (such as Krell, Masterclasse, Myryab, etc) I know. Once thoroughly run-in, I'm captivated by its open, clean & natural sound reproduction. Oh, that sweet sound reproduction really makes music ticks! When I played various classical tracks (such as Beethoven Symphonien Nos 5 & 7, Yundi Li Encores, etc.), every nuances remained & so revealing. The result is simply terrific! I play mostly jazz music vocal, especially female vocalist like Izzy, Laura Fygi, Diana Krall, Wang Hong Yin, etc. & ST4 units exhibited superb imaging, richness, details of this materials very well, or I should say again terrific! The mid-bass thickness & transparency are of very good quality where you only can find it in higher end of audio units. The sound quality is really warm & very "tube-like" which matches my 'bright' NHT very well. The 8200 seems to always able to play with most materials with greater authority, richer sounding & makes most recordings sound more realistic with greater sense of stage depth. I can't seems to stop playing my CDs now & all my previous CDs (old recordings) seems to have injected with new lease of life & all played with greater musicality.

Similar Products Used: Arcam, Rotel, Sucgen, Perraux, etc.
dochroch   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 10, 2002]
Strength:

Detailed presentation that still preserves accurate and beautiful mids.

Bass, if anything (probably my powercord and lack of a dedicated circuit).

This review is for my Plinius 8200 Mk-II. Even though both the Mk-I and Mk-II are designated 8200 series, there are significant differences between these amps. This is my third Plinius! I've owned the 8150i and the 8200 Mk-I. Perhaps I spend upgrade money too easily, but I like the Plinius sound and the Mk-II is better than the Mk-I. As another audiophile friend says, the 8200Mk-II sounds like a supertweaked 8150. Where the 8150 has a lush mid-range sound without microdetail, and the 8200Mk-I has a superdetailed sound with out the lush mid-range, the 8200Mk-II seems to have both. The sound is more ravishing and astonishing than ever. I've also tried out the new 8200's phono section, and it's even better than the 8200Mk-I's. Incredible detail and holographic presentation. However, I will say that most people would be 95% happy with the 8150 or the 8200. If you can get either of these used at good prices, I'd jump at the chance. However, if your're a persnikety audiophile and only want the best for your ears, the 8200Mk-II is your baby. Note: This integrated amp needs honest speakers -- if you have faults either before or after the unit, you will hear them.

Similar Products Used: Other Plinius amps
Sin KH   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 10, 2002]
Strength:

Power with refinement. Very good build quality. Came double boxed with a individual inspection certificate. Build with a lot of pride.

Perhaps not for absolute bass slam.

The Plinius replaced my NADC370. Both amps are very good but the Plinius has that much more refinement over the whole frequency band. The 8200 has enough power to drive my Dynaudio Audience 70 with both punch and refinement. With the Rega Planet 2000 feeding the signal, the system has a good balance of pace and rhythm without losing definition and the touch of vocal warmth and emotion. The 8200 needs to be kept on all the time to sound best. Really opened up the qualities of the dynaudios.

Similar Products Used: Arcam Alphas, Rotels, NAD C370 (a very, very good amp at the price).
Charles   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 10, 2002]
Strength:

Audiophile performance for an affordable price.

None for the money invested

Excellent value for the money, especially when one includes the phono stage at no charge. I replaced a Manley Stingray in my system with the 8200 expecting to give up warmth and air in the mids and highs. The 8200 created much more presence and immediacy to the music without sounding sterile. My Green Mountain Continuum 1.5 speakers really sing now.

Similar Products Used: Manley Stingray Arcam Alpha 10 Edge M8
Charles   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 08, 2002]
Strength:

Quality throughout for reasonable dollars

None for the price

I listen ensemble jazz, classical,some blues, acoustic,etc. through Green Mountain Continuum 1.5 three way floorstanders (rated 89db efficient). I had driven these speakers with both a Manley Stingray and Arcam Alpha 10, certainly less expensive options on a retail basis than the 8200. In this case the price is more than justified by the quantuum leap in listening pleasure. The soundstage much deeper and well defined, the instruments being played more separate and distinct within the soundstage. What most surprised me was the liquid warmth of the midrange compared to the tube driven Manley. The comments on adequate burn-in time are accurate. This unit needs at least 100 hours to show its stuff. Compared to other amps I''ve owned including the touted Krell killer Edge M8, this amp is the value champion.

Similar Products Used: see review
Andrew   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 30, 2001]
Strength:

Effortless power, drives difficult loads

This is a review of the 8200p which is the same unit minus the preamp stage. This replaced a Rotel RB870BX power amp which I had run for around 8-9 years. The speakers I have are a very difficult load to drive, and the Rotel never quite got there, especially at lower volumes. They sounded thin and edgy, and became boomy at higher power levels. I finally gave up and was looking for alternative speakers when a salesman suggested that I look at the amp instead. That was the single best piece of advice that i have ever got, the difference with the Plinius is stunning in a word. I tried a pair of Musical Fidelity X-A 200's and an NAD 216 previously, but wasn't convinced and was still blaming the speakers. Now I have a system that delivers accurately from the source in a way that is totally involving at any listening level. My wife totally noticed this upgrade, much to my amazement, as she is normally a skeptic when it comes to audio expense. I am not a total fidelity nut, but have finally arrived where I want to be, with a system that delivers astonishing sound. I listen to classical, Jazz and Guns'n Roses, the Cure etc.
Components:
Van Den Hull D102MKIII Specials and Hybrid Interconnects
Wireworld Atlantis II

Similar Products Used: Rotel NAD Musical Fidelity
ben garland   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 15, 2002]
Strength:

sound,price, build

none

this review is on the plinius 8200 (not a upgrades 8150i but a new 8200) the unit looks like the 8150 .actually sounds like a 8150 but does it perform like the 8150 or is it better?it does cost more and yes it does have more watts but is it better? well i owned a 8150 and a 8200 i sold the 8200 a few months ago, it is a great amp ,and it performs flawlessly while i owned it the bass was like my 8150 (quiet a slam) the highs were excellent ,i would recommend the 8200 to anybody i found the performance way above the dollar spent ,but for some reason it did not have the same tonal response as the 8150. i was told that plinius did not use the same parts in the power supply as used in the 8150,if this is true then i guess that would explain the sound differences,but let me say no matter which amp you choose the 8150 or the 8200 you will be more than happy as both sounded great,and both have enough power to drive any speaker,and both beat the pants off the krell,and other integrated amps of the $3000-$4000 price range

Similar Products Used: krell300i,mac6450,others
Ryan Hansen   Audiophile [Jun 19, 2001]
Strength:

High power for an Integrated. Smoothness usually only associated with tubes. Good control of the bottom end. The sound is very immidiate and alive.

Nothing significant as of yet.

Where to start... After being exposed to many Integrated Amps as well as Seperate units, I'd have to say that the Plinius 8200 is something of a bargain for the asking price of $3000.00. It combines power, refinement, and subtlety -- qualities which are often difficult to find in an integrated. Not many Integrateds I've encountered boast 175 watts/per channel into 8 ohms (250 into 4 ohms). However, with a lot of speakers on the market-- say, Energy Veritas, B&W, Dynaudio, Magnepan -- high power is of utmost importance if the loudspeakers are to reach their potential. So, if you own speakers which need a little waking up, this may be the Integrated for you. The Absolute Sound magazine has raved about this integrated, so I thought I'd check it out for myself... I bought one.

Power aside, the 8200 shines in other areas of performance. The most dramatic improvement I noted in my system was in the area of low-end reproduction. Bass notes simply came through with greater control and image placement. I had not heard this on my Energy Veritas 2.2's with other Amps. For me, the bottom-end has plenty of heft and control. The Plinius 8200 has a great knack for hitting the note, then letting go if it. Hate amps that sound "slow"? The 8200 is the antithesis of such products.

Ah, the midrange. Some other reviews have compared the midrange of Plinius amps to that of single-ended-triodes. While I wouldn't use that statement, I would comment that the midrange is very open, sweet, and alive sounding. Vocalists sound "in the room", with great image placement.
Piano and other instuments sound so smooth and liquid, tube-like in a lot of respects, without the drawbacks associated with tube equipment. With the Plinius, what I don't hear is the excessively thick midrange sometimes heard on tubes.

The top end is nicely rendered. I can confidently say that the Plinius unit is not overly bright in any way. This is a benefit with a lot of speakers, including my own. Again, I hear a sweetness to the sound. The treble is very open, and airy. Strings are projected into the air very distinctly-- with this amp I'm less aware I'm listening to box speakers.

To sum up, this amp has a refinement which I find rare in solid state, while also offering the power and slam of top-notch solid state electronics. It sounds best when left on at all time, and also offers outstanding build quality. I haven't mentioned it yet, but Plinius is imported from New Zealand. Thankfully, the Plinius corporation has packed the unit well for the long trip. It is double packed, with two sets of boxes and foam. While unpacking, I was left with only feelings of confidence regarding this product. The 8200 also comes remote controlled. You can adjust volume up, down, and hit mute. The remote is heavy, and reminiscent of the Brystons', for those more familiar with that product. Input selection, however, is only manual. That's fine by me. To check out the look of this component, go to pliniususa.com. You may choose either silver or black. Oh, you also get a 10 year warranty. That's quite generous by any standard.

Plinius may not be the most widely distributed product, so call Advanced Audio to find a nearest dealer at 716-741-6063
or e-mail advancedaudio@mindspring.com

There are many Integrateds on the market, but I'm happy with my choice. After a few weeks of break-in, I couldn't be more satisfied. You might be impressed too.

Associated Equipment:

- Rega Planet CD

- Rega P2 'table (I forgot, the phono section of the 8200 is quite good too. Better than the Acurus unit I previously used)

- Marantz ST-17 tuner

- Energy Veritas 2.2 Loudspeakers

- All cables by Tara Labs

Similar Products Used: Bryston B60, Anthem Integrated, Creek 5350SE, others...