Plinius 2100i Integrated Amplifiers

2100i

Integrated Amplifier

luckiestmanalive   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 09, 2009]

I upgraded from separates to this wee gem of an integrated (2nd hand). I wasn't able to demo it before I bought it so when it arrived I virtually crossed my fingers as I slotted it into the rest of my system (Rega Apollo CD player as main source and Audio Physic Spark loudspeakers) and sat down to listen.

The first thing I noticed was that there was more bass. I didn't know I'd been missing any bass but the 2100i definitely reached lower than my old Plinius 3100. But I was also worried because the music didn't seem to be as engaging as my old setup. So I left it on and played it every night for over a week before I noticed that either I had changed or the liveliness of the amp had improved (Plinius suggest that the amp will improve over several days).

I've had my Plinius 2100i now for nearly 6 months and my main components are exactly the same. The only changes I've made is to add more sources (tape cassette, turntable, tuner) and I've finally nailed the sweetspot for my Sparks. I have reached a level of satisfaction now that easily surpasses anything I've had before, in no small part from this lovely Plinius integrated. It is neutral and detailed and I can't fault it up or down the frequency specturm. It makes the music and musicians come alive so I love (even more than I did before) to bring new music home to listen to.

As I suspect I would have to pay an awful lot more to better it, I can see me keeping this wee integrated for a good few years. Upgradeitis has been curbed by the concern that any change now might just as easily be a loss rather than a gain...

Clay   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 03, 2000]
Strength:

Great soundstaging, smooth throughout entire frequency range, loads of power to spare. $300 off list price.

my remote won't work (Waaaah!!)

Got this unit at a sale at my local hi-fi shop. Originally listened to the Plinius 8100 against the Creek 5250? (unsure of exact model) While the Creek had a very sweet sounding midrange, it lacked punch in the lower end and seemed a bit too relaxed and constrained for my tastes. So I opted for the Plinius 2100i Mk2, which has a much more solid low end, better dynamic range, and overall sounded much more natural (to my ears, anyway). Plus it was $300 less than the 8100. It even makes my crappy 2-ways sound good! However, it also shows up poor source material too efficiently--after re-listening to most of my CD collection, I have a pile of discs that will be traded next time I go CD shopping.

Minor annoyance: the volume control on the remode won't work--Gonna take it back tomorrow and see if they can't fix it in the shop (or give me another unit).

The 2100i seems to mate well to the Rotel rcd-971, though I'm guessing cable selection to be very important.

What they say about the units warming up is true--my unit started to sound better after about 5 hours.

While I was demoing the 2100i, another guy was demoing the Plinius 8200 with the NEW Rega planet. What an awesome combination!

Equipment used:
Rotel RCD971 w/ sorbothane feet
Quest viper interconnects
MIT zap2 speaker cable (will upgrade when I buy speakers)
Precise Audio 2 way monitor (made by Onkyo a few years back)

Similar Products Used: Old ps audio model 4 preamp with B&K st-140 amp. Compared against Creek integrated amps (4&5 Series) and Rotel 60w integrated amp.
jim   a Casual Listener [May 11, 1999]

MrB has posted a negative review for all the Plinius products. Does he work for Krell? He can't have heard all the Plinius amps! Anyway, I have the 2100i and it is the best amp for the money. Period. Warm yet tough. I matched it with Sonus Faber Concertos and the sound is as good as I have heard.

Terry Mitchell   a Casual Listener [Feb 04, 1999]

This the entry level Plinius available in New Zealand. It is essentially a stripped down version of its bigger brothers with a preamp stage included, producing 100w/channel. It has a very solid sound with deep bass, and a sweet and detailed mid range and treble that has a very slight hardness. A very enjoyable entry level product.

vasco amado   an Audiophile [Apr 23, 1999]

PUTTING BEHIND THE AUDIOLAB, ARCAM, ROTEL, PIONEER AMPLIFIERS OF MY PAST AUDIOFILE LIFE I FINALY FOUND THE SOUND OF MY DREAMS. NAME: PLINIUS 2100i.TRUE HIGH END BARGAIN.
COMBINE IT WITH THE LIKES OF SONUSFABER OR MONITOR-AUDIO.
DON`T BELIEVE ANYTHING ELSE. JUST LISTEN TO IT.
(ESPECIALY WITH MERIDIAN 506.20 CD PLAYER)

Paullindemann@prodigy.net   an Audiophile [Jun 19, 1999]

The Plinius SA-50 is transparent and clean, and free of any veiling which is prevelent in Krell amplifiers. The sound is very much like the Threshold - but more dynamic, with ultra fast transients.
The sheer musical ability of this amplifier captures the best of tube and solid state - what an articulate amp!! The class A circuitry cancels nonlinearities and crossover distortions which haunt notable amplifiers such as Krell and even Levinson.

The amplifier does run a tad on the warm side - classic A-typical due to the circuitry, and the switch to enable class AB to take over is an interesting concept to circumvent over heating at prolonged usage at eggregious volumes (ie parties). No issues in driving my Ventures to moderately loud volumes - but I'll bet the SA - 100 would make ALL my neighbors hate me (or envy me).

SYNOPSIS
The SA-50 is a very good buy for it's price class - better sounding than Levinson, Krell and many other "Best of the Best" amplifiers. When I compared the Plinius 50 to the Goldmund Power amps, the SA - 50 started to sound not quite as dynamic and transparent....keep in mind the Goldmund is a $5,000 amplifier.

A great amplifier which an audiophile should try and judge with his/her own ears - as everyone is entitled to their opinion...no matter how obnoxious their uttering may be.

CLOSING

suriya   an Audio Enthusiast [Sep 28, 1999]

I very love this am. like another.i used with tannoy P10 DENON 735 speaker cable is indigo 2 inter MIT2. but i have a problem when i turn a volum about 10.30 - 12.00 am. it had a noise sound from tweeter have any one got problem like me please help. (the plinius deadler said it's ok. but not me i can't listen music with noise sound)thank you

Stephen Nichols   a Casual Listener [Mar 28, 1999]

Meridian 200 CD Transport, Meridian 563 DAC, Tannoy Profile Plus 636 speakers, Plinius 2100i Integrated Amp.
WOW. What a great little amp. 100w per channel of really clean sound. Tried an Arcam amp but the sound was too slow and a bit dull. A Luxman amp was nice but had too many bells and whistles for me although the sound was OK. But the Plinius won out in the end.

Also it was nice to be able to support 'Kiwi' made equipment.

David   Casual Listener [Nov 22, 2000]
Strength:

Musical

I have had this amp 5 years, and I love it. I am not an audiophile, just someone who loves music, so I don't know what jargon applies to this amp. What I do know is that I spend many hours a week listening to music, everything from hard rock to jazz, and this amp enhances my enjoyment enormously.

Clay   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 05, 2000]
Strength:

REmote now works!

This is a follow-up to my first post--I called the dealer about the buggy remote--he swapped it out with a new unit and sent the other unit back to the distributor. All my previous comments still apply--this is one heck of an amp for under 2K!