NAD 317 Integrated Amplifiers

80 Watt Integrated Amplifier - Remote Control

ronald   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 19, 2014]

i bought this amp for 50 euros,not much for an amp this age and still working so i don t recognize any of the crappy quality discribed in some reviews here.
The amp sounds very powerfull and has a nice warmth as well but to bad its not very dynamic and can sound slow and compressed sometimes.

derrick   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 18, 2011]

I purchased this amp about 14 years ago,(brand new) and it has'nt given me any problems.there is a slight buzz in the left channel, but i can barely hear it. yes it's been there since new... I have a pair of energy c4s, and a rotel cd player hooked up to it every since I bought the amp. about 8 yrs ago I purchased the nad 214 power amp on ebay, and bridged them. their working perfectly! i'm very satisfied with my system, all I can say for the people that are experiencing problems is that the past owner may have abused the amp, or maybe mine was built on a wednesday.....

Terry690   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 04, 2010]

Hiss in left channel is real and a very common problem from brand new. Good sound and punch for the bottom end but this amplifier is fragile. It has been serviced twice for the same problem but never really fixed. It now sits on a shelf because nobody seems to be able to fix the problem. I have several NAD products and like the quality but the price is high. Other NAD amplifiers do not seem to have the problem the 317 has. I hope to get it fully repaired and back to work soon.

Jardy   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 18, 2010]

Very powerfull, but little bit too rough sound for my taste. Articulation mid and high frequensies is good, but this amplifier lacks some clarity in bass. I think this is very good amplifier for watching movies, but only semi good for enjoying music records.

talldude777   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 27, 2009]

Despite all of the bad fuss about the "buzz" in the left channel this unit produces, I decided to buy one from a local seller at a bargin price. After spending a few days with this NAD 317, all I can say is that I am totally impressed with this little powerhouse.

This unit is combined with an entry level NAD 522 CD player and pushes my Polk Audio SDA-2B's.

Very smooth, detailed sound with great bass response. This one is a keeper and for the price I paid it is a real bargin.

NAD and Polk seems to be a great budget combination for a regular guy like me who does not like to spend too much cash on his audio gear.

jw   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 05, 2008]
Strength:

Simplictiy, durability, value for money

NAD components do not share the same exterior appearnce. Different swithes, colors, displays, corners.

Connected to Piega P4 speakers (from Switzerland): excellent sound, no problems of any kind for the last 8 years.

Never needed

Similar Products Used: -
jukeboxtheater   AudioPhile [Jul 11, 2007]
Strength:

transparency, power, compares favorably to pre/power amp combos

slight buzz in left channel

I've been using my NAD 317 integrated for over a year now and it has performed flawlessly. I must confess that I became alarmed after reading some of the negative reviews on this website, but I can only relate to my personal experience. The hum in the left channel, as indicated by other reviewers, is real. Actually, for my unit at least, "hum" is really too strong a word. I would call it a slight buzz that is only audible when my ear is less than an inch away from my left tweeter. And my speakers, Paradigm Studio 40's, aren't exactly known for their treble reticence. Hardly much of a nuisance... I agree with the reviewer who asserts that the "hum" originates in the pre-amplifier section, which can easily be demonstrated by following his instruction.

Other than that, the 317 is one terrific sounding integrated amp, very open and transparent with terrific bass. The power on tap is amazing and comparable to a good pre-amp/power amp combo. I even compared my amp to the much lauded NAD C320BEE, which I borrowed and inserted into my system after reading all the positive press. The C320 didn't really seem any more transparent to my ears, but the loss of power and bass control was obvious. For myself at least, it was no contest. I can only theorize that the problems associated with the NAD 317 have either been greatly exaggerated, or both good and bad units exist. Judging by the fact that the amp was only manufactured for a relatively short period, I personally believe the latter to be true.

Similar Products Used: NAD C320BEE, Sony ES, Adcom
Montok   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 18, 2007]
Strength:

None

Over-priced, badly designed,

This unit started out fine, but after 3 years started having intermittent right channel break up, distortion, and etc.. I did some research and found out many NAD models have these sort of problems. I proceeded to contact NAD customer service and they gave me the "it's out of warranty" talk and as i looked more into the issue I realized that this is a design issue that NAD should have been responsible for. Everyone knows that amps sound better through time, however the volume and balance controls on this unit are soldered to a small pc board very badly. this board is not secure, so when the volume controls is moved around it weakens the solder joints and after time one or the other channel will start to fail, not to mention the heat that runs through the board. NAD refused to take any repsonsibilty, or even mail out the small part so one would be able to fix it themself, it's just 2 screws, a nut, and 2 cable connections. I was opting for a Rotel but Dr John at Sound Factor, Encino CA persuaded me to buy this junk. I would stay away from NAD like the plague, they package badly designed junk and sell them as high value audio gear by cheap design hidden by behind an expensive looking unit. If you look at Ebay when this amp shows up the sellers usually desribe the inherint NAD flaws. There are many other better choiices than NAD and better priced untis. NAD's lack of any responsibility to stand behind their product for a $800.00 unit is another reason to not buy their products.

Customer Service

Very Poor, NAD lacked repsonisbility for their product and were condescending in communication.

Similar Products Used: Rotel, Crown, Hafler, Pioneer Elite, Denon, Yamaha
Sean   AudioPhile [Apr 20, 2007]
Strength:

None

Heavy steel chasis gives impression like it's something more than it is. Just cheap electronics in a nice metal case.

Atrocious support from NAD

Garbage
The more you listen to it the more the problems add up. this amp actually sounds worse the more you use it. NAD decided not to do anything about the design flaws that would show up years later (after warranty of course) I contacted them as a lot of people have paid good money and ended up with a bad amp. NAD won;t do anything about it, stating that it is not under warranty. I believe NAD should have taken the steps to right this issue. They ended up ignoring me and pointing towards the nearest service center. NAD wants me to spend more money on their problematic integrated amp. If you do a little research you;ll find out that this model along with quite a few others have circuit design issues, the contact goes bad and you start losing a channel. I will never again buy anything from NAD again. I have a Pioneer receiver that has has lasted 5x as long and was $200.00. Sounds great and even works.

Sean

They are out to lunch

Similar Products Used: Rotel, Pioneer Elite, Proton, Adcom
elaficionado   AudioPhile [Jan 07, 2003]
Strength:

Superlative sound; excellent build quality; highly musical reproduction of CDs, tapes and DVDs. This amp does justice to all kinds of music. DVD movie soundtracks and TV broadcasts benefit from the clarity, definition and dynamic range of the NAD 317.

None whatsoever. Reviewers who complain must have damaged units.

The NAD 317 is a spartan integrated amplifier of excellent build with just enough inputs and outputs to satisfy all but the most demanding users. An advantage of its design is the rear preamp outputs and main amp inputs which allow the sound hobbyist to patch in an external processor or equalizer. The appearance of the unit is one of elegant simplicity. Its performance is on par with amplifiers that cost many times its price. As heard with an NAD T550 DVD/CD player as the source and a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers as the reproducers, the sound of the NAD 317 is sweet, smooth, detailed, with very wide dynamics and exceptionally clear reproduction of voices. A solo instrument like the piano, or a full symphony orchestra, comes accross with great lateral impact, superb transient attack, warm ambience and extended decay. When listening to classical music one has the definite feeling of being transported to the sound venue of a concert hall. The 317 does justice to all kinds of music. The Platters in Mercury's digitally remastered Milleniunm Collection CD sound as though they are performing live in front of you. One forgets that he is listening to a recording. If pop music sounds wonderful, the reproduction of operatic, symphonic, chamber and jazz works is nothing less than sublime. Not just the tone but the inner timbre of every instrument can be heard and savored. The soundstage has impressive depth, height and width, with excellent imaging and details. The voices of individual male and female soloists, as well as those of large choral ensembles, are reproduced with astonishing clarity but without any hint of exaggerated sibilants. One can hear the unique colors, subtle qualities and nuances of each vocalist's production. Such recordings as Handel's "Acis and Galatea" (Christie, Erato label) and Handel's "Messiah" (Pinnock, Archiv label) are just heavenly! The Hallelujah Chorus is breathtaking both for the clarity and grandeur of the voices. An opera of massive forces, like Verdi's "Aida" (Solti, London label), comes through with both tremendous impact and refinement. Thus, the loud trumpets in the Grand March have plenty of bite but, for the first time in the many years I've been listening to this early 60s recording, do not sound overly bright and ragged. Leontynne Price who was famous in the title role sounds as she did in the theater - glorious! In the fifteen months since I have been listening to music through this amplifier I have not heard any unmusical or otherwise undesirable sounds. There is a very slight low frequency hum in the left channel, which NAD explains is part of the toroidal design, but it can be heard only if one holds his ear up to the speaker grill. The nearly inaudible hum disappears completely once music begins to play. At its list price of $800 this amp is one of the great bargains of the audio world. At the $375 web price tag from a fine retail store I got away with highway robbery.

Similar Products Used: Acoustic Research, Harman Kardon, Kenwood, JVC, Onkyo, Denon.