NAD 310 Integrated Amplifiers

20 Watt Integrated Amplifier (1995-1998)

Konrad   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 01, 2015]

Great AMP for the money very clear highs and warm vocals.

The bass is not too strong but it's very dependant on the recording you are listening to,
I will probably be looked down on for this but I pair it with an ADC sound shaper EQ when I need a little bit more bass and it has worked wonders.

It also have a nice feature were if you have an EQ you can bypass it completely to ensure it doesn't make the signal dirty.

Jason   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 14, 2012]

This was my very first amp on my audiophile hobby. Paired it with a denon sc-m37 speaker and a ac ryan mini for mp3/flac audio. Went on to acquire a b&w DM601 S3 and NAD T760 AV receiver due to the B&W's hungry power requirements. After mixing and matching for a while, found the NAD 310 and sc-m37 pairing to be much more musically enjoyable. The NAD 310 was able to churn out a noticeably cleaner and more detailed signal. Instruments strikes with more precision and depth while vocals sounded sweet. The T760 was more powerful but sounded a bit flat. Was expecting the b&w and t760 to perform better but surprisingly the 310 and sc-m37 win hands down due to their openess, clarity and warmness.

MS   AudioPhile [Sep 02, 2011]

PIcked it up for 125 bucks after reading about its internals, which feature a truly unique circuit design using both mosfet and bipolar output transistors. Switching from a morrison elad and rotel combo to this it was immediately apparent that this amplifier shows a spectrum of distortion. However, it is a pleasant and tube like distortion with the kick of solidstate. Still not as much punch as the 30watt rotel but well worth the price especially if under a hundred bucks. I think its ideal for smaller single driver full range speakers, where its harmonics and sweetness could shine. High efficiency speakers would fare well probably too. Im using psb alphas and am quite satisfied.

Kelvin M   Casual Listener [Sep 25, 2003]
Strength:

Hands down, this thing will (at medium volume levels) blow away any amp in its price range (especially those over hyped Yamahas, Denons, etc.). Keeping it powered up all the time has had no detrimental affects. I've never had the automatic circuit protection trip, even when trying to abuse it (left it cranked at full with 3 ohm speakers and left to buy groceries). Handles bass well at low to medium volumes, but loses it near the upper end. Clear and smooth sounding in my judgement. Internal components are top notch, right down to unique torodial transformer and high quality caps. Thumbs up for NAD putting the money where it was needed. Its a shame most people don't appreciate that kind of quality.

I like simplistic and robust products, but NAD was far too cheap on the outside controls. Those knobs and buttons are just plain crap, no heft and they feel hollow. Even the texture of the plastic looks and feels cheap. Please, at least give us an aluminum front plate and knobs. One more thing, I know this would've added to cost, but how about making it bridgeable? Although some folks complain about the performance, I give it a 9/10 based on price. For the casual listener that wants purity, it's the best bet.

Purchased this sweet little amp new while in my last year of university in engineering. Decision to buy was based on previously seeing the insides and being impressed by the quality of the components and ultra simplicity of design. An awesome performer considering the price. This amp has never been turned off since '95 (It stays powered up 24hrs) and has driven many different loads. At present its my primary computer amp, driving a pair of Energy Pro 22. Excellent for ambience and low to medium level volumes. Huge headroom for such a tiny amp. A real bargain today at used prices.

Similar Products Used: Before the NAD, had gone through the regular adolescent type receivers (Sony then Yamaha). Currently using a Rotel integrated and loving it (purchased used). I attend many auctions and am constant
Gary Lee   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 23, 2003]
Strength:

Clean, smooth sound. Good for vocals and soft music. Cheap on the 2nd hand market. Great for the price.

lacking in bass. Can't go too loud.

My first foray into Hi-fi. Have been messing around with dolby home cinema in the past, and always been curious about 2 channel stereo. Out of the box, it has the typical minimalist NAD look, but with tone controls, and an assortment of buttons. The amp is a real lightweight, but looks good enough. Equipment used, are Marantz CD67SE, Mordaunt Short MS10i's with wireworld tetra III speaker cables, and QED Qunex 2 interconnects. Sound-wise, this little amp surprises pleasantly. Soft to moderate volume levels are where it belongs, as the amp is not bassy at all. Smooth, clean and with enough detail to satisfy my jazz, and classical needs. But when the music gets busy, soundstaging starts to fall apart and what little bass there was fades away. I've since upgraded to something with more power, a Cyrus 2.. but i still keep my NAD, for listening to digital radio thru my satellite receiver.

Similar Products Used: none
Rio   AudioPhile [Mar 18, 2002]
Strength:

The vocal is very warm, and the bass is tight, the trable is crisp. Use toroid transformer.

The staging is not to perfect but for this price range it is still the best one. One thing that annoys me is "thump" when the power is ON. And for your info that this amp produces 20 V DC then decreases bellow 100 mV (Without Load test). So I recommend to built external Speaker Protector

I buy this amp for my first system, and it costs $50 (cheap). At the first time I can’t believe that this Amp will satisfy me. Then I test this the result : I cannot say that this Amp has little power, altough it is only 20 wpc but the strength to kick the speaker is amazing. I use the tone defeat feature to bypass the tone control. The Design It has combination Mosfet and BJT (Single Ended configuration) in the final stage that also combines the strength of two transistor type. The circuit of this amp is designed very good. The Power Supply unit uses toroid with CT where the upper one is for one channel and the bellow one is for another channel. The advantage of this design is to give the maximal channel separation, but the disadvantage is producing "Thump" when the capacitors are charged. I played CDs (Keb Mo, Anne Murray -> Secret Love) and the result is woww. Altough this amp is cheap but it has defeated my friend''s Amp which has price higher than this. I use it with CD player Technics SLPG 490 ($100), Tannoy Mercury M2.5 ($200) and I can''t find any weakness w/ this amp. But when I use my friend''s system : speaker Martin Logan ($3000) and CD player Rotel RCD 991AE ($1000) finally I found that the staging of this Amp is not too good and the bass is not controlled well (bummy). But whatever it is this Amp is very great for my starting system. My System consist of CD Player Technics SLPG 490 (w/ optical Output) Integrated Amp NAD 310 Speaker Tannoy Mercury M2.5

Similar Products Used: Musical Fidelity A1, Cyrus 1, NAD C300
Ivan Mow   Casual Listener [Apr 19, 2000]
Strength:

Inexpensive, Clear Sound, Circuit protection for overheat.

Thump sound when you turn it on, No remote control

I found this amplifier have a clear sound and low distortion. Beside's that, it is inexpensive and affordable for a 20wpc amp. Also, it has a protection for overheating or short cct. Nice amp......!

Harbir   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 05, 1999]
Strength:

Enough power, very well made (considering the price), excellent sound

none

Great little amp! its only 20wpc. if you need more, buy a sony reciever. If 20wpc is enough for you, then this is a lovely piece of equipment. It has character by the bag loads!

Matthew   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 04, 2000]
Strength:

Detailed, natural and pleasing sound; well-built, inexpensive, compact; tone defeat switch.

No remote, annoying "thump" from speakers when turned on.

I had been considering spending $500+ on a good boom-box for a second system in a 12x14 room, but decided that I valued good sound over convenience even in this context. I don't need a radio tuner, so this basic integrated amp is perfect for me. Despite just 20 watts, I get ample loudness at 1/3 volume with my B&O RL-1000 speakers (bookshelf size). Presumably most affordable small bookshelf speakers will be fine with this amp.

I was concerned by the loud "thump" when I first turned the amp on. After nearly 2 years of use averaging about 2 hours a week, there's no damage to the speakers.

$200 each for the 310, a good single-CD player, and a pair of bookshelf speakers, plus a decent 1/2 meter interconnect, 15-20 feet of speaker wire and sales tax should get you a fine basic system for $700-725 all-in. Another $50 for stands is a good idea. No boom box under $1000 will come anywhere close in sound quality, and you can upgrade the system in pieces.

Kow K   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 15, 2001]
Strength:

price, quality

none for its price

Hmmm, it seems my previous review got removed. Did i do something wrong? Anyway, I came here to do a favor for this product today. As I experiece more with other overpriced gear, it turned out that I was too critical about this product. I rated 4/4, or even 3/3, I guess. Now, I changed my mind. I rate 5/4. As for price, NAD 310 is a killer. As for sound quality, it is more than average. The only product I can say really matched its price/performance was Alesis RA 100. But RA 100 isn't as versatile as 310, so 310 can be still more valuable.

Hey guys at www.audioreview.com, are you gonna remove my review again?

Similar Products Used: Audio Innovations Alto, Harman/Kardon PM625, Rega Elex, Classe CAP 80, Alesis RA 100, Nikko Alpha II