NAD 306 Integrated Amplifiers

Integrated Amplifier

Lasse Dahl   AudioPhile [May 09, 2013]

Bought this amp a year and a half ago, handles my speakers amazing, best amplifier i've had!

If you come across one of these amps, i suggest you pick it up, its cheap and handles most speakers well!

otisredding   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 08, 2003]
Strength:

Great soundstage for the price. Seems to have current to spare.....nice caps.

Maybe a little high-mid heavy but that's a taste issue........

I bought my NAD 306 in 1994 and I'm still using it. Initially it drove a pair of Bose 601s beautifully (until divorve parted me from them.....) and now I am driving a pair of KEF Cresta 3s. The 306 manages to make even these modest speakers sound HUGE and quite nice. My latest upgrade was the NAD C541i CD player which has shown me even more of what the 306 is capable of. You get HEAPS of current and it never seems to run out of energy or sag when you drive it hard. If you find one of these I suggest you snap it up. I recently tried the 306 next to a C350 and it held it's own pretty well with the (much more powerful) C350 only winning in the power stakes, not the soundstage or tone. I reccommend this amp highly.

blue_uuchi   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 31, 2002]
Strength:

The whole machine...!!!

It has got a little to much buttons, if you compare to other NAD machines...

I think that this is one of the best integrated amplifiers you can buy for that kind of money. With dubble pre out, tHAT it´s bridge able is one big + too!! I think it sounds great, better than most of the integrated amplifiers that a have tried!!! I JUST LOVE IT!!

Similar Products Used: Audio Pro A.7
Peter   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 27, 2000]
Strength:

A lot of power!
Good sound for the money

The design is ugly!
Low buildquality, plasticfront, thin cabinet, plastic knobs

I sold my NAD 306 two years ago, but I still think of it as a good amp. But how did it sound? The answer is: It did'nt! What i mean is that it simply reproduces the music as it is without adding or subtracting much. In my oppinion that is exactly what an amplifier should do! At the time i bought it, it was the best you could buy for that kind of money (about 450 US $). Compared to the twice as expensive Thule IA 60B the NAD 306 does more than half the job!

Similar Products Used: Thule IA60 B
Luca Arnulfo   a Casual Listener [Aug 13, 1999]

I bought the NAD-306 as my first amplifier. I felt in love for the total absence of frills. It does a great job, coupled with a pair of Infinity Reference 40 (3 ways) and a Pioneer PDS-801. Also in this price band a good wiring pays. Analitycal enough to make you imagine the fingers on the guitar chords. It let me down when thare`s too much to show, I mean too many loud instruments, but it may be it`s just question of tase. And if you want to upgrade there`s plenty of possibilityes: pre-out and power-in and two couple of loudspeakers connectors.

Roland Mabo   an Audio Enthusiast [Sep 27, 1999]

I've had the NAD 306 for four years now and despite the new electronics entering the market all the time, I don't feel that I need to upgrade. Why? Simply because the 306 is one of NAD's finest amplifiers ever built. It's a true, and sadly underestimated, classic.
It has good features (separate listening/record selectors, two tape-loops, tape-copy function, pre out/main in, bridgeable etc.) and excellent sound quality.

The overall sound can be described as powerful, dynamic and rythmic. This is a highly musical amplifier with lively character. It likes to be driving hard, but it's also a smoothie when required. When the soft-clipping is turned off, it's like a curtain being raised from the music. Detailing and imaging greatly improves. Soundstage is big and precise. Bass is deep and taut. Mid is articulate and lifelike, the treble is extended and detailed.

This is a neutral sounding amplifier, perhaps slightly on the bright side of neutral. It lacks the warmth of previous NAD offerings. It likes good quality recordings.

Despite it's lively character, it never sounds harsh. Smoother than Naim, and more upfront than Linn.

A great buy for the money. Sadly, it's no longer in production. However, the new NAD 317 is a good replacement.