NAD 3020 Integrated Amplifiers

20 Watt Integrated Amplifier (1978-1983)

Nigel   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 24, 2017]

Anyone who like me has been into HI FI gear for 40 years or more will have learned a lot about individual products. I have had many, I have auditioned many, and yet until recently took only the word and mouth about the NAD 3020. I thought at last i would buy one and listen to it myself. One word describes the Nad 3020 and that is not is not nice to post so here is an acceptable one, AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I like others cannot believe my ears. I have had valve equipment, high class high cost equipment (and still have) but boy oh boy what an amplifier. It does have a valve-like delivery smooth and very detailed indeed. The mid range frequencies could be a slight problem with some speakers that are super efficient, but that need not be a problem because you can adjust the treble frequencies. The bass goes a good way to Australia (down) and you can feel the softness in your body, it rolls out at you with authority but not boomy. This is one amplifier I should have taken more seriously some 30 years ago. It would have made a wonderful benchmark to judge others and not just budget ones either. I had heard it in shops but never in the comfort of home. This amp will stay with me for many years to come, I may at some point think of recapping but at the moment it is a case of leave well alone. Get one quick!!

Ron   AudioPhile [Jan 07, 2017]

Purchased as a student in 1980. Every time I take this amp out and shake out the cobwebs I find it still performs better than anything else I've purchased. And by performed I mean it is more pleasant to my ears.

Jo   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 17, 2016]

Stunning! Buy one if this happen to see one for sale. Matches well with my b&w CM5 s2. The combo is jaw dropping. This is truly a giant killer. Got this for $300 very mint, with box and manual. Beats my rotel separates rc1550 rb1080 hands down. Exceptional amp. Buy one and be in audio nirvana. :)

Jarvis   AudioPhile [Sep 19, 2016]

This is the best sounding integrated amp available to mankind. Only weak point is its very limited power, but if it's power amp section was stronger the 3020 wouldn't sound that good. His majesty Sir BEE got it perfect with this one and established NAD overnight in a hifi scene dominated by the fantastic Sansui AU and Luxman L series.
NAD intentionally degraded sound quality litle by litle in the models that followed the original 3020 namely a,b,e,i,d, etc in order to offer the best in more expensive models.
The original 3020 and in particular the floor mounted transformer model is the absolute best sounding one, and most sought after and expensive of course.
This is a very special integrated amp, not "for the money" as many say, but for any money. I will not try and describe the sound, as many have done that very well over the years. I can only say how happy I am I managed to buy 6 of these amps while they were still offered for sale. All original floor mounted transformer ones. I have tried every model that followed and tested it extensively, nothing comes close to the real thing. Many will dissagre, but only because they are owners of a model with a letter after 3020, or with a rear plated mounted transformer...
If one comes in your way, fight for it. It is as an important piece as it gets. Fantastic sound, this amp does what you dream of...

rob   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 28, 2015]

after listening to this gem 3020A i am convinced this is the best amp ever produced under $1000 back in the day , i bought this nad last week for $100 and is better than any marantz out there, i was floored when i heard mark knoffler s latest CD on this amp. No wonder its considered top 10 amps of all time Bass is full and deep , It delivers a full bodied sound , its natural and oh so rich and clear . good bye expensive gear and hello greatness.

George Melendez   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 16, 2015]

What can I say but WOW!!! I've listened to some great and expensive gear in my days with all the trimmings you can think of but the NAD 3020 Integrated Amp is truly an exception to the rule. This little amp rocks the boat. My set-up was rather simple and humble, four 305 Bose speakers, a NAD tuner and a Panasonic turn table with Audio Technica pick-up, that's it. My friends with high end expensive gear went hay-wire & nuts when they would heard what was coming out of the speakers. I wish I still had this set-up. I purchased both the NAD amp & tuner for $450 in 1982 but it was stolen a few years later. If any of you guys know of anyone selling both the amp and or the tuner please contact me. Thanks and hope to hear some good news.

Thanks, George

email: melen001@hotmail.com

Richard   AudioPhile [Apr 14, 2014]

I bought my 3020A in 1980. It served me well for many years. Then, somewhere along the line I got it into my head to upgrade to something much fancier. Since that unit is on the fritz at the moment, I decided hooked up the old NAD.

I'm amazed. The thing sounds absolutely fantastic. I don't mean "pretty good for a 300 dollar, 35 year-old amp" but, rather, good by just about any standard. I think I'll leave it where it is in the signal chain, and repurpose the beast that replaced it.

Best integrated amplifier ever.

magster65   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 16, 2013]

I had a 3020 in the mid 80's and moved into a 3140 in the late 80's for the additional speaker hookup... yes, I still have it. I have the matching 4020 fm tuner and 6140 cassette deck too. I had a Rega 3 turntable - Grace arm - Nagatron cartridge (wish I still had that). I made countless tapes for many years! NAD equipment is great stuff and I'm keeping it for life!

hififan   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 17, 2012]

Love this amp, sounds awesome for an old amp very good sound. Sounds much bigger for a 20 watter expect surprises if you get one cheaply and in good oprerating condition. These can be repaired fairly easily or modded by a good technician

tone911   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 30, 2011]

Bought the 3020 for $200.00 after reading reviews, mostly out of curiosity, paid what most would find a large amount of money for an amp built in 1978 but after listening to it for some hours found it as good or even better than alot of well respected amps of today.
Very good seperation but well balanced, warm and involving very analogue sounding especially when warmed up for time. Highs frequencies are excellent, midrange very nice and clear, lowrange punchy and very robust, making the soundstage very well balanced, and without listening fatigue.
Equipement used with the 3020 for this reveiw Marantz CD 63SE player and Mission 731 pro speakers.