Musical Fidelity B1 Integrated Amplifiers

• Line inputs & Sensitivity: 200mV CD, Tuner, CDV, Tape 1, Tape 2

USER REVIEWS

[Feb 22, 2018]
Ste-65

Strength:

Hi, I am fifty years old Italian audiofile. I bought MF b1 28 years ago and it has flew admirably a pair of Wharfadale Pavarotti until two monthes ago. Rarely I've heard something sounds better and never at that price.Precise and contained bass, medium high transparent and natural, credible voices. Optimal reconstruction of the sound scene. In the last few monthes I thought to must buy a new integrated 'cause I heard something didn't work anymore, but it was not my b1, unfortunately it was my Wharfadale monitors. I went to a hi-fi shop bringing my ampli with me, I' ve heard it sound with a couple of Scasonic and with a pair of red 5000 Russell K. those I buyed, it sounds awesome again, even better, as if it was new!

Purchased:
New
[Jul 19, 2015]
Black JuJu

Hello,
I have had a numerous amount of equipment (Marantz, Sansui, Rotel etc..)
Well i coukld get this amp for 100 euro including shipping costs.
I unplugged my belo0ved sansui from the B&W speakers DM-220i hooked up this MF-B1.
.................................................................................................................................
Never looked back. It is clean and has an enormus soundstage compared to the sansui.
It also is much more analitical than my rotel with sounds to warm for me.
It is only 30 watt or so BUTT my speakers are very sensetive and i can really make my windows shake. Next Amplifier i will buy will certainly be an Musical fidelity product. I AM HOOKED!!

The Music i listin is very diverse but you can say that it is 90% Heavy Metal.
Truly this is the BOMB!

[Jan 14, 2015]
Terry Wiltshire
Audio Enthusiast

Have had the Musical Fidelity B1 for 24 years now and what an amazing piece of equipment its been partnered with My Rega Planar 3 which is even older with originally a pair of Tannoy e11 Speakers, But had to change them to a pair of Kef Coda 7's. The fact that this amp is still going after all these years and hasn't missed a beat is a testament to British HiFi at its best and still sounds as good as the day I bought it if not better. You Just need to listen to it to appreciate it.

[Aug 27, 2014]
Van Kriekinge
Audio Enthusiast

The mf B1 is juste amazing. I'm 19 years old and I got this amp form my uncle. I put it with a pair of Castle Durham 900 (20 years old :P ) and it sounds great. I'm not an audiophile, I think I'm too young to be an audiophile.

[Oct 12, 2012]
nc
Audio Enthusiast

i am from india. saw the many reviews of the mf b1 and so bought one from ebay.co.uk and had it shipped. i tried it with a few speakers - pinnacle quantums, b&w lm1 and sonus faber concertino. it sounded dead. an electronics repair guy took a look inside and told me that it has not been used for a while and so it would improve upon use. so i had it hooked up to the sonus fabers and persevered. after a month or so of listening atleast a couple of hours daily, it suddenly woke up. warmth, liquid midrange, musical bass, detail i have never heard before - you can even hear the emotion/spirit in the voice of the singer. this is not a musical equipment - but a musical instrument!

and if it is like this with the sonus fabers which are hard to drive speakers, i would think it would work even better with speakers easier to drive. it sells for like 80 pounds on ebay uk and so it is great vfm. but it is kind of fragile with plastic sides. so if you have it shipped make sure the seller packs it really well.

[Mar 27, 2010]
13oots2
Audio Enthusiast

Saw one of these for a very reasonable price of £100+P&P, so grabbed it for comparison with a NAD 3120 that had been upgraded by Fidele Audio.

The build quality is quite good but uses a fair bit of plastic in the construction, which loses the B1 one star.

The NAD is a nice warm sounding amp but switching to the B1 made me realise just how much detail I was missing. There is better control of bass and instrument separation is amazing, the NAD has a more powerful bass but far less control and sounds muddy in comparison.

Considering the NAD with upgrade comes to over double the cost of the B1 I would have expected it to be better in most respects. The B1 simply excels in every department of the sound and even has a half decent MC/MM pre for your turntable.

Harder to find than NAD 3020 but if you see one grab it, it may just pleasantly suprise you!

[May 27, 2007]
Johnny Gee
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Incredible soundstage, and instrument seperation, Fantastic phono stage, Minamlist timeless looks, Quality british manufacture

the input selector can spin on it's own and not change source, but an easy fix, i used supergle on mine and it's been fine for the last 7yrs!
The on off switch light can flicker from time to time.

I bought my B1 15yrs ago through the small ads and it's still going strong, infact i'm looking to buy another for a second system. Don't be put off by 35watts, thru my celestion ditton 442s it's never been passed midnight on the volume dial and the windows shake!! It is not quiet in my book!! Unless your living room is the size of a swimming pool and have no neighbours you won't find the volume lacking. I have listened to many other newer systems and far more expensive kit and nothing has made me want to part with this amp. You can get them on ebay for less than £100 and they will blow away modern £500-£600 pound amps. It made me buy the eqivalent MF CD1 then T1, I paid a lot less than people pay for a "high street all in one flashing light system" and it blows people away when i turn it up.

Customer Service

Never Needed

Various Marantz, Denon, sony, Arcam, etc upto £500GBP Nothing compares

[Nov 05, 2006]
dharmasteve
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Vocal and Bass prfectly in front of Soundstage. Solid and firm.

No remote control or I would be using it to this day

This review is almost 20 years retrospective

This B1 amp is still working away in my daughters house powering some pensionable Tannoy Mercury speakers. The only reason I replaced it was it had no remote control. Since then i've had an Arcam 8R, an NAD, an Marantz 7200 and now a Musical Fidelity X-80. I loved my Arcam, the Marantz was too polite. My B1 is aggressive and naughty, but really plays. The B1 though was as good as all of these. Bass was further forwards in the soundstage as were vocals. My old Tannoys were really big standmounts. Maybe a bit slow, but really musical and the bass was unbeatable. Recently I saw a review really attacking Musical Fidelity. That review is only sour grapes. MF are probably the most consistent of all manufacturers and I have only had good experirences with their products> The B1 holds its own to this day. Well done MF

Arcam, marantz, nad, other MF

[May 20, 2006]
edphipps
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Convincing, involving, musical sound

Bass a bit lacking

I bought the Musical Fidelity B1 almost by accident (early days on eBay!) while shopping for my daughter's first hifi amp. I tried it in place of my Mission Cyrus Two and was astounded how much more musical the B1 was - a really pleasant shock!

I know it sounds corny, but it's what we're all after - suddenly I wasn't listening to a CD, I was listening to music - at the concert. Singers convey real emotion, instruments sound like instruments (not just musical noises). I sold the Cyrus Two (to someone with a PSX which is meant to improve them considerably) and he seemed happy.

Perhaps it's system matching - I was using a Sony XB930QS as source, and listening on Castle Severn 2SE speakers. Typical material is female vocal (Sarah McLauchlin, Alisha's Attic), prog rock, some pop, some classical.

It doesn't go very loud, the bass is probably a bit lacking, but it's just so realistic. It's currently in my second system having been displaced by a Luminous Audio passive preamp and 2 xRotel RB951 power amps costing 4 times as much, also from eBay, but I'm beginning to wonder if I was right... bass is better, but the whole thing is less involving.

Similar Products Used:

Mission Cyrus Two, Luminous Audio Axiom pre-amp, Rotel RB951 power amps (bridged), Sony amps

[Apr 20, 2006]
Andy
AudioPhile

Strength:

imaging, depth, great allrounder, built to last, and all to the MF ideals, all about the sound

High level listening is not its forte

This was a replacement for my Audiolab/ biamplified quad setup. I had at the same time a rotel Ra971 mrk 2 (for monitoring in a studio). The B1 could Match the sonic presence of the rotel, which was no poorer cousin, in the sound department of the Audiolab/quad setup.

Due to health reasons i had to get rid of all my expensive equipment, and this B1 Amp, certainly fullfilled a hole for me with very decent sound quality, after the Audio/quad setup was sold. Very transparent and sweet, with plenty of weight, and for the time, 1987 excellent depth and detail. I heard so much of the A1 Amplifier, from Musical fidelity, but this was released around the same time and was largely forgotten. A shame as It really is a true audiophile on a budget amp. The only time it ever sounds its price is when you turn it up loud, and i mean loud.

This baby can do joe satriani, system of a down, Prodigy, but its just best suited to Classical and Jazz, soft rock. Its using this type of music you will hear exactly what it can do, vocals and instrument placement are dispersed wisely in a nice big soundstage. I bought a Cyrus 1 amplifier at the same time for not much less money, compared to the MF B1 it sounded flat, and lifeless. Stereo imaging was not as defined, and I personally, apart from the superb build of the Cyrus, didnt like it. that was used for a part time monitor amp for synths, as it was a handy size.

Now as it is getting to the point i need some realworld power again im going towards the nonpretentious Pro audio route. I have been using a Rotel RC960BX pre amp and a SAMSON servo 260 power amp (used in studios, for reference monitoring), and this sounds much tighter and in control at high levels, (levels the average person would run out of the room). Its 85 watts rms @ 8ohms.

and although great I still would like more control, so Im trying out the crittically acclaimed Behringer A500, 160 watts, rms @ 8ohms. Not many people like the sound of nightclubs in their bedrooms, But living in a soundproofed detached house, its nice on the odd occasion to crank the volume up and not worry.

So all in all for what it is, the B1 is a very excellent amp, the great plus also is that it was built at the height of vinyl, and the phono stage sounds beautiful too, i used a Rega planar 3 with goldring cartridge G1024GX , and it sounded excellent.

I dont see or hear nothing about the B1, But if i didnt want the power i needed It would certainly still be in there. Its very rare to hear anything about this Amp, as i found out , taking the gamble and riding purely on the sonic intentions of a company like Musical fidelity. their equipment, rarely lacks passion or quality, this epitomises both, a great unknown, unsung Amp that sounds as good as anything of any note in the last 20 years!

Customer Service