McIntosh MA2275 Integrated Amplifiers

• Electro Magnetic Input Switching
  • Gold Plated Input and Output Connectors
  • Front Panel Headphone Jack

Sony6million   AudioPhile [Dec 11, 2009]

Summary:
Very warm yet transparent. All my CDs now have emotion to them now. I don't know if it is typical of a valve/tube amp as this is the first I have owned but it sure is enjoyable. Sometimes you think it is not that fast, or accurate, but you do just keep on enjoying the music it makes and forget about the hifi qualities. If you do want to analyse the sound though, it's all there, just a different presentation. If you like your music low fat, fast, tight and accurate then look elsewhere. This is full fat and all the goodness. If you want an emotional, warm sound that is still very transparent, this could be the last amp you ever own. The wife said it sounds great - what more praise can I offer up?

Strengths:
Feeling, makes everything musical, weight, body, slam, you forget the hifi and enjoy the music, great build.

Weaknesses:
Looks are an acquired taste, heavy at 35kg and takes up a lot of space, horrid remote control,

Similar Products used:

Gryphon Atilla
Musical Fidelity AMS35i
Luxman SQ-38u

Louis   AudioPhile [Feb 28, 2009]

In a nutshell, MA2275 is like having an C2200 "lite version" and the MC275 re-issue in one single box.

From the value standpoint, a huge premium (I paid $4800 plus shipping) considering you could get many other top notch integrated amps at near 1/2 to 2/3 of the price, notably Jadis Orchestra Reference ($1900) which was the other integrated amp I considered buying. However, considering the C2200 + MC275 factors, and the gorgeous tank-like constructions, MA2275 is good-value.

For the sound standpoint, MA2275 is something that makes you enjoy music. If you are into swapping equipments, you may not get much fun out of this, esp. shipping this unit (110lb packed, 140lb with pellet) is quite a hassle (you just cannot ship this right without the original box plus the pellet, using freight service). This integrated amp generates typical sweet McIntosh sound that is very very addictive,very hard to let go.

I must say I listened to MA2275 much more than most of my previous setups because of the "stand-by" feature. I am just too busy to leave my equipment warm-up for however long before listening. With MA2275's stand-by mode, it only takes 30 seconds to be ready, and I don't have to worry too much about burning tube life nor something catch fire during unattended "warm-up".

Before I end the review I must go back to the value standpoint. MA2275 is GREAT value, since you're unlikely to swap it out. Yes it cost more than many quality integrated amps, but chances are you would not keep them, and thus the ongoing equipment-merry-go-around may cost you much more eventually.

Glenn   AudioPhile [Oct 27, 2008]
Strength:

Looks: its a McIntosh with those nice blue meters and silver knobs. What can I say?
Sonics - difficult to think I could ask for much more. Smooth and detailed. Very substantial bass when called for. Does a terrific job on jazz, classical and classic rock. Perhaps if I listened at elevated levels it would run out of steam. But does an excellent job at levels I'm confortable with. The 2-tube MM phono stage is also very quiet. I could stand it to have about 5db more gain.

Nothing I've found as of yet.

Another 5-star review for this great sounding and great looking integrated amp. Perhasp it does not have quite the grunt of the MC275 it is replacing, but is so slight that I really don't nothice the loss. I've never thought highly of the stock tubes McIntosh provides with the the MC275 and had a set of Tung-Sol reissue 6550s and 12AX7s and Mullard 12AT7s for the MA2275 when I unpacked it. A noticeable improvement over the KT-88 and small tubes with the McIntosh name on them. Am driving a set of Joseph Audio RM7XL monitors with the MA2275 and using an MR77 tuner, Sony SCD-1 disc player and Yamaha PX-2 with an AT150MXL cartridge for vinly. The monitors are supported by a 10" powered sub, but I am not a fan of loud bass, so am very pleased with the set-up.

Customer Service

McIntosh is noted for good customer service. Thus far, the Audio Exchange has been great.

Similar Products Used: MC275 amp with BAT VK-31 preamp.
MC500 amp with C38 preamp.
Yamaha A-2000 integrated.
Sony TA-8650 integrated.
Sony TA-F808ES integrated.
Bryston BP-60 integrated.
Sony TA-E86B/N86B pair.
Yamaha B-2 VFET amp.
Too many more to mention. I've been at this for 40 years.
Jasinski   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 04, 2006]
Strength:

Great Bass for a tube amp. Build quality and classic looks.

None I can think of

Bought this integrated 6 months ago because I was tired af all the years of trying to match amps and preamps. Put it into a system with my Quad 988s and could not be more pleased. Great natural sounding bass and beautiful highs. Rugged build Quality and classic McIntosh looks. Iv'e never used kt-88s before because I love the sound of a good el-34 based amp. I shouldn't have worried as once the amp settled into my system it just sounded great. I really never considerd McIntosh before but sure am glad I gave it a listen.