Accuphase E-206 Integrated Amplifiers

USER REVIEWS

[Sep 12, 2017]
Per
Audio Enthusiast

I have been dreaming of an Accuphse for my whole adult life, but it never realky was the right time. Yamaha receiver, Quad gear and finally more compact whifefriendly gear came across. The I bought a large house with a lot of space, and put my B&O in the living room, some other gear in the bedroom, my french Carat hifi in the guestroom, - AND THEN i bought the old E-206, restored my old JBL112 AND my Bose 901, put it together with my Rega Planar with SME series 3 and Ortofon pickp, AND began buying my old vinyl records on the market.
I'm sold, I'm in love. Accuphase is simply the best. Vintage hifi is SO cool. Gives me the feeling of originalty an seriosity back. Im 57 and feel 18. Cool, cool stuff in every way.

[Aug 31, 2013]
Vasily
Audio Enthusiast

By the time I first looked at this amp, I've walked a long road on my search of the best amp. It all started in November 2012 when I changed my good old Kenwood receiver for a used Rotel RA-972 back from the nineties. It simply blew Kenwood away. Then I looked for an amp with a built-it DAC, because I wanted to plug in CD and PC directly and see if it worth a try. It wasn't with Rotel RA-12, the newly marketed amp. It made me feel that Rotel has lost grip as a manufacturer of good sounding products. RA-12 is a mess. Then I looked at NAD 304, built 1994 and highly praised ever since. Not bad it was, indeed. But I wanted more and felt unsatisfied - I wanted to buy a good amp and stop my quest, at least for a couple of years, after changing 3 amps in less than a year. Accuphase E-206 was highly recommended. Why Accuphase? First, NO Accuphase sounds bad. Secondly, all these guys are built like tanks to last seemingly a few decades, not less. Third, Accuphase doesn't produce cheap amps - that's a good sign.
When I listened for E-206, it was a real revelation to me. All that I had been looking for was there - good speed, solid bass, open vocals and crispy highs with a lot of detail. The overall sound character is smooth with a little emphasis on treble. It is almost "tube-like", for a lack of a better comparison. Again, the amount of detail this fella brings to you is just amasing!
As for construction, it leaves no doubt - this is a killing machine. 18 kilos of japanese engineering, front panel is almost 1 cm thick, all major knobs are metallic, binding post for speakers can accept very thick cables, if needed.
My E-206 is most likely built in 1989 and it's in perfect running condition - everithing works as a Swiss watch with no signs of aging whatsoever. For 1000 USD it was a good bargain. I'm very satisfied with this amp. If you ever see one for less than 1000 USD and it's in perfect comdition - buy it on the spot with no doubt! Even if you already have something comparable, you'll be able to resell it with no problem.

[Apr 12, 2003]
Ivan
AudioPhile

Strength:

Present every strength you can think of at this price and outdo all rivals.

Lack of remote control and powercord was not changeable. But at the time this product was launched, these were not really a must.

This was the Accuphase product I bought and made me poisoned as a hardcored Accuphase follower. This amp is analytical, fast, clean, good control on low and high, warm and open mids and highs. Though it was Accuphase's lowest model, it never falls short of Accuphase's trademark: airy, a bit sweet, smooth yet powerful. The listerning room will get a full house of airy feeling (live music feeling) whenever a record is being played thru this amp. Its sonic character is, to some people, relatively on the bright side, due to its analyticality. It therefore needs right matching of equipments. A decent CD player is a must as it will reveal all the deficiency of the front end source. The best match is of course Accuphase's own CD player. With right matching, it is good for producing all kinds of music with the best at vocals, classic, pop/rock, jazz, chamber. I used to turn it up for 8-10 hours a day to the max loud level. It only goes warm but never sweat and all the time in good order. It is a very reliable machine that builds to last and has been over-engineered comparing to other brands' stuff

Many Accuphase and others

[Jun 07, 2002]
Peter L Coolsma
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

* Very neutral and revealing sound with tremendous slam and authority * Great looks -get one in the colour YOU like best: Champagne or black * Abundance of functions * Built like a tank, great finish and inside-accessability * Very stable, will handle almost any speaker * Great resale-value

* Using the balance-control clearly degradates the sound * Needs an "open" rack to properly dissipate its heat * MC stage sounds great but its hiss almost reaches groove-noise levels

Having lusted for this magnificent beast for a decade or so, I've finally made my dream come true and bought an E-206. The Rotel it replaces was a winner in its own right but at a much lower price-point. Having grown so accustomed to the Rotel's sound, and having had a hard time imagining what the Accuphase could do to better it; once hooked-up, I was immediately struck by the Accuphase's much bigger dynamics, greater openness and ability to reveal details. Regarding bass-reproduction, it really opened up something like an entire extra octave! I use an early Rega P3-Linn Basik LV/X-Dynavector Karat Ruby combo and a Denon DCD-1420 -kindof vintage stuff by now but still very capable: Just HOW capable has only now become clear. My Rogers LS 3/5a's almost sounded relieved, like "Phew... Finally we get the big power-supplier we needed!" They're only now revealing their capabilities in the lower octaves, whereas I had long accepted they just did'nt have any. They proved me wrong! My Stax Lambda headphones also revealed that recordings which always were a bit tiresome to listen to, aren't so bad after all -the Rotel just didn't have the upper-high smoothness needed here. Having been manufactured in the standard champagne-gold AND in black; with a little persistence and patience, you'll be able to find one in the colour you prefer. I personally feel an Accuphase should be champagne, so that's what I got. BTW; on the Accuphase-site, you'll find a comprehensive list of all products they've ever made, including their technical specs. So... It's a winner! Especially when you take in account the current E-212's retail-price... PLUS its -by now non-standard- phono-stage.

Similar Products Used:

Replaces my Rotel RA-840 BX2, used for 17 years. No other amps in current use.

[Apr 15, 2002]
Capricorn
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Huge power and extreme accurate sound. Excellent balance in the whole frequency tape.

??

The one and only!! Since the first tests (It´snow 7 years ago) with this Amp I changed my religion to Accuphase. Absolute invincible in this price class. I expected a lot and received a lot more!

[Oct 23, 2001]
Tobias Sjödin
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

The power!

my neigbours.

I love this amp, it make my Cervin - Vega d 9-e rock like hell. The only thing I dont like with this amp is that my neigbours kidds cant sleep. If you want power in your system then accuphase is the amp for you.

HK 7000, Sony TA-VE800G.

[Oct 11, 2001]
Peter Irvine
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Better than my NAD / Carver combo - Clean Clear and powerfull

Runs Hot with the Dahlquist DQ-10's. Needs a couple of days to "warm up" properly.

Awesome amp - If you aren't into excessively loud music - this is the amp - whatever the style of music (my kids like rap and rock and love the sound).
Sound improves if you do not turn it off. Leave turned on for two or three days before using. do not turn off!

NAD preamp / Carver amp

[Oct 25, 1997]
CH Shih
an Audio Enthusiast

Even before I hooked this intergrated amp into my humble system, my mind began to think of standards by which to compare this Japanese, no nonsense, hi-end amplfier. The only product that came to mind within the same price class, was the muched hailed Krell KAV 300I which I've also had the pleasure to audition recently, and I must say, I was very impressed by the Krell!

-- BUT --

Once everything was in place and the disc started spinning, the Accuphase took centre stage and powered thru every piece of music my friends and I had to perfection!! It was that exciting.

The soundstaging was bigger and deeper than the Krell and it went lower and higher than the Krells along the frequency extremes. My Castle Harlech's are known to have weak bass and a slow, easy listening-presentation along with a unique (sometimes unpredictable) soudstaging. With the Krell, my system sounded smooth and bold with the amp accentuating the characteristics of the rest of my system, but the Accuphase gripped these speakers and turned them into something totally unfamiliar to us! The bass began to thump low and hard with authority and the treble and midrange opened into a new dimension. The placement of the instruments became more precise with an airy nature to them allowing details that were heard never before on certain discs to creep thru clearly.

Some might describe this as been too clinical, but this amp is by no means as dry and surgical as the Audiolabs. Many people have warned me before hand that Accuphase are notorius for over-the-edge lifeless sound, but I'll have to disagree. The energy and life this amp was able to inject into most of my recordings was amazing. It had so much control over the sound that the volume knobs kept beckoning me to crank it up higher & higher to see when it will start to strain. Unfortunatley, I didn't have the heart to blow my speakers! Even at extremely loud levels, this amp held its composure. The Krells were able to hold its own at high levels too, but the bass tended to go awry once a certain level was reached, the Accuphase did not.

We spent 5 sleepless nights weathering the complaints of neighbours to go thru our CD collection and by then end of the loan, we had concluded that the Accuphase E206, an older amp (introduced 1989 now replaced by the E210) compared to the Krell KAV300i, is still an exceptional amplifier by any standards.

One word of caution though, like the Krell, this amp also favours a more forward presentation, even on subdued speakers and a lush CD player like the Marantz 63KI. If you partner it with over-bright componenets, the sound might be unbearable to some.