Accuphase E-202 Integrated Amplifiers

USER REVIEWS

[Mar 03, 2017]
Fred M audio enthusiast
Audio Enthusiast

Recently purchased a e202 and decided to treat it.. Installed nichicon gold kg main filter caps as well as some others and the sound is amazing. Nice clean power and beautiful to look at too. These are getting hard to find. Extremely well built This unit will probably stay with me till the end and hopefully the next generation will enjoy it as I will.

[Dec 11, 2009]
John Sterling
Audio Enthusiast

In 1974 I lost everything I owned in an apartment fire started by my downstairs neighbor leaving a pot on the stove. Luckily, no one was injured but the small complex was 1/3 destroyed. I was 23 and watched helplessly outside on the street in the rain with my neighbors the day after Christmas as my still smoking couch and most other possessions were tossed from my balcony into the pool below by the firemen.

Bought the E-202 at Lawrence Stereo in Birmingham, AL with some of the insurance money and have used the E-202 continuously ever since. Not one problem ever. Had the unit cleaned and inspected once fifteen years ago.

A little more than ten years ago we built a home and included a whole house speaker system. The audio folks wanted to include a new amp, but as I am a good part Scot I suggested we wait to see if the E-202 could handle it all. Glad I did.

This amp drives five sets of speakers simultaneously with no sweat. Long time friends who used to make fun of my "retro stereo system" stopped long ago. No matter what the music (or Alabama football game radio broadcasts) the sound is incredible. You cannot use all the power and every part of the sound spectrum is crystal clear. Looks cool, too.

Yesterday I brought out a Marantz ST-400 tuner I got along with the E-202 and wired it into the amp. I was pleasantly surprised at the sound and it got me to thinking about how long I had had these things. This morning I googled the E-202 and found your site and the many interesting reviews. Thought I would share my experience.

I lucked into my E-202. I knew and still know little about the unit. It is better to be lucky than good, I guess. The guys at Lawrence Stereo did me right. They had much more expensive gear, but respected my budget.

I was told the Kensonic company spun off from Kenwood and the design team was run by a guy from Kenwood and included people from Luxman, Marantz and maybe MacIntosh. Whatever, they knew what they were doing.

That fire was the best thing that ever happened to my ears.

[Sep 17, 2009]
Alex
AudioPhile

There is little I can add to so many reviews but since I have been using one of these for at least 4 years or more I thought I'll add my bit.

I've paid about $400 for it and it was money well spent. Great amp, built like a tank and it sounds great. I am sure that to surpass the sound quality of this one I would have to spend two to three times my $400. I believe it was built in 1976 most amps of that time tend to have a noisy phono stage, this one is as quiet as it can be and the sound is top quality. Hasn't got MC input but if you don't need to listen very loud there is suficient power for what I consider a reasonable level with MC. I have recently bought a black cube phono stage (cost me more than double the whole amp) and is better than the one included in this amp but despite that the phono stage of the accuphase has nothing to be ashamed of.

It seems the most common problems are very noisy/crackling volume pots, mine is perfect but I often read about it on the descriptions of the ones for sale.

To wrap it up: a 1970's amp that will squash a lot of new amps (and at a fraction of their cost).
If you find one in good condition is unlikely to disapoint you.

[Apr 26, 2009]
csacred
Audio Enthusiast

WONDERFUL! I bought mine 6 months ago and became quickly addicted. This is the best integrated solid state amplifier I've ever owned (I've had many over the years, integrated & separates, solid state, digital & tube).
I won't repeat what's already been said but I wanted to share how well the E-202 matches with my Rogers Ls3/5a speakers, It's a match made in heaven (never before have my speakers sounded that big).
My modest set up is in a 12' by 16' room and consists of:
Speakers Rogers Ls3/5a (15 ohms from 1978) on Sonus Faber stands (28" high) with Linn K400 speaker cables (8' long & split in half), Linn Ikemi CD player with silver interconnects and a power subwoofer Gallo Accoustics MPS-150 (barely needed most of the time, the Accuphase has this rare ability to make the Rogers sound big and fat). The sound I get is exactly the way I love it; clean, detailed and shimmering yet warm and deep, always liquid, never harsh or fatiguing, all in all VERY INVOLVING.This combo is also very versatile and sounds consistently good with most, if not all, music styles.
I am very satisfied and have no desire to change anything about it, what a relief!

[Apr 23, 2009]
pinchechris
Audio Enthusiast

just thought I would add to the already impressive 5 star rating with almost 20 reviews (almost unheard of in these forums). I'm waiting to hear from someone who doesn't like this amplifier. This is truly an amazing piece, especially considering it was built 30 years ago. The thing I can't get over is the build quality. All the electronics are wired onto removable pc boards making them extremely easy to work on/repair. The volume knob has such a pleasing weight to it and it feels as though it's gliding when adjusted. I've noticed (as other people have already stated) that opposed to sounding "warm" it's very clear and transparent. The sound it produces is extremely accurate, not over complimentary like my dear and beloved Marantz pieces.

When I originally brought this thing home (found on craigslist for $50.......yes I finally have my own fairy tale barn-find story!) I wasn't sure how much I I liked it. I had it paired with B&W DM602 speakers and it was a bit bright and tinny. When I brought down the NHT superzeros from the office I was much happier. Add a velodyne sub and I was thoroughly blown away. *read the reviews on those superzero's. Absolutely incredible speakers when paired with a quality sub* Those B&W's sound great with the Mcintosh and Marantz vintage amps that tend to be warmer. They have a boosted high that sounds great with some amps, too much with others.

Anyway, I'm ranting so I'll quit. Really fun amp to own, I will never get rid of this piece. For the price these go for on ebay (rarely over $500) they are a steal. It would cost thousands to get this kind of sound and quality in a modern amplifier.

[Jan 18, 2009]
MorePower7701
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Crystal clear sound, very full midrange and decent bass.

There is plenty of power to drive most speakers with these.

Phono stage is very good, no improvements needed IMO.

Speaker Terminals

This is a really great peice of audio equipment. I bought mine for a some what low price, because it needed work. These are very easy to rebuild, the circuit board unplug, so replacing componates are much easier. I replaced about 80% of the electronic componates, and yes parts have gotten better. If you are about to get one of these of a decent price, electronic parts, capacitors, transistors , resistors and so on have gotten much better than what was used 30+ years ago. One of these with a quality rebuild is something great, I have not seen anything $$$ for $$$ that can match the performance.

Customer Service

Techics
Luxman
Yamaha
Sansui

All intergrated amps, the Accuphase blow them all out of the water

[Jan 15, 2007]
william_blair
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Excellent construction, nearly perfect reliability.

None

I bought this amp after a great deal of consideration in 1974. My previous system had been stolen so I was starting from new.
I first looked at a McIntosh integrated transistor amp which put out 70 watts per channel ( I can't remember the model) and a pair of KEF 104 speakers. I then went to another store where the owner showed me the E-202 which he highly recommended. It was cheaper then the McIntosh and also had a considerably better power output rating. However, I still had not decided on speakers.
While the KEFs were not bad, I was not entirely satisfied with their performance given their relatively high price. So I listened to a number of other speakers and narrowed it down to 2 models: the AR LST and the Dynaco A-50. I found the LSTs to be similar to the Dynacos except for the bass respense which was a little lower. However, LSTs needed more power than the E-202 could produce to really drive them properly.
After further consideration I went with the Accuphase and the Dynacos. The Dynacos are great speakers and are perfectly matched to the E-202s, being rated at 100 watts at 8 ohms. Their only drawback is the mediocre finish and perhaps a lack of prestige associated with the Dynaco name.
It has now been 33 years and I'm still using the same combination. The Accuphase has been bulletproof except for the relay going about 15 years ago. The Dynacos still sound as good as when I bought them but have been banged around a bit resulting in a few scratches - something that would be a little more upsetting with a better finished set of speakers. In any case the E-202 has been entirely satisfactory. It has lots of guts and allows me to play my classical music as loudly as I want without a problem - especially when the neighbours have a loud party next door. Shostakovich never sounded better!

Marantz receiver c. 1972

[May 27, 2006]
Ed
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

POWER , FINESE , STYLE AND SOUND. IMPRESSIVE MUSICALITY

WITH A BIT OF ADAPTING EVEN THE SPEAKER BARRIERS ARE NO ISSUE

HAVE BEEN COLLECTING UNITS ON eBAY FOR 5 YRS. HAVE OWNED THE BEST FROM PIONEER , SANSUI , MCINTOSH , LUXMAN AND MARANTZ. I NOW SEARCH NO MORE THE E-202 IS SIMPLY BAR NONE THE BEST AMP I HAVE EVER HEARD PAID 370 US AND WONDER WHY THE GUY EVER SOLD IT. RETRO SILVER NICE METERS AND THE SOUND IS FAN FRIGGEN TASTIC. MATCHED IT UP WITH A T-101 AND I AM IN HEAVEN. YOU CAN SPEND THOUSANDS MORE TO EMPTY YOUR POCKET BOOK AND IMPRESS YOUR FRIENS ---BUT WHY? DRIVING A PAIR OF 300 WATT SANSUI SPL800 SPEAKERS AND AT TIMES A PAIR KLIPSCH LA SCALLA'S YEOW

Customer Service

NO ISSUES AS OF YET

Similar Products Used:

MC INTOSH 4100 - MARANTZ 18 AND 2325 - FISHER 400 TUBE - PIONEER SX 1980 AND 1050 - SANSUI 9090DB AND MANY MORE

[Jan 21, 2005]
gcknapp
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Ample power, retro styling and meters, strong bass and soundstaging. Weighs a ton, and sounds excellent. 3 line level inputs, 2 phono stages, 3 tape inputs. Awesome look and sound.

Speaker connections-thats all.

I have recently reacquired this beautiful integrated after a 17 year upgrade itch that finally subsided. Bought my Accuphase in 1976 with a pair of Bose 901's (high-end at the time) from Apple Tree Stereo in Elgin, IL. Kept until 1988, at which time I purchased Creek, Exposure, Rotel and Bryston amps over the next 16 years. Recently visited the friend to which I had sold my Accuphase. He had relegated the unit to power basement speakers-his primary system is home theater. To make a long story short, it is now back in my main system, driving a pair of Meadowlark Swifts with a Rotel RCD-961 CD player. Still in perfect shape, cosmetically and sonically. Am grateful to my friend for keeping this great amp pristine.

Similar Products Used:

Bryston, Rotel, Marantz, Creek and Exposure integrated.

[May 11, 2004]
finn52
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Musicality. Superb focus. Goes with any speaker.

Speaker terminals. Speaker terminals and Speaker terminals.

This is indeed a great amp. My newly bought integrated Bryston is for sale. The E202 simply spanks the Bryston in every aspect. Espesially its pin-point focus is terriffic, not to mention its musicality. Just go buy one on the second-hand market. Goes for 100 - 350 £.