Yamaha MX2 Amplifiers

MX2

tendim   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 16, 2009]
Strength:

- Integrates nicely with the matching Yamaha CX-2 amplifier.
- Beautiful construction.
- Clean sound.
- Consumes only 340W for 150wpc.
- Plenty of power for a decent 2-speaker setup.

- HUGE.
- Level out knobs on back of unit are a bit confusing; being aligned vertically you think that one knob is for A speakers and the other for B speakers, but in fact they are for "left" and "right".

I purchased this to complement my Yamaha CX-2 preamplifier, and replace a Rotel 6-channel amplifier that I was running in bridged mode. The amp is hooked up to a pair of B&W 685 speakers. Huge improvement over the Rotel unit. Sound is a lot cleaner.

Customer Service

N/A

Similar Products Used: ROTEL RB-956AX
  AudioPhile [Dec 20, 2003]
Strength:

Warm sounding for solid state (compared to my old amps at least) High power, very clear and detailed.

Bass is a little sloppier than the Parasound amps when running A & B to bi-amp, most likely due to the low impedance it sees in the 4 ohm Mani-2s

I purchased this amplifier on impulse (cheap), thinking I could use it to drive my rear speakers or center channel. however after unhooking twin Parasound HCA-1000a amps that were bi-amping Totem Mani-2 front speakers just to try out the Yamaha, I decided it deserved to stay where it was, and the Parasounds should drive the center and rears. The Parasounds were very tight on the low end, imaged well but had a rather uptight quality to them ,which I had mostly blamed on my source CD player. However the Yamaha was warmer and airier, giving some more life and realism to the already fantastic image and soundstage.

Similar Products Used: Integra, Parasound, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz, Halo, Krell, etc etc etc.
franz   Casual Listener [Dec 09, 2001]

a real good power amplifier, i´m rel happy with this amplifier