Threshold S-300 Amplifiers

S-300

Was Available As Three Different Models From 1980-1994 (S-300 SeriesII / S-300 Stasis / S-300 Stasis A/AB) - 150 Watts

saocosaoco   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 31, 2008]
Strength:

Musical, warm, beautiful robust looks, power, sound and resale price.

Are you kidding?

I am not much of an audiophile therefore, I can't not get too technical about this amplifier. All I can say is that is one of the best amplifiers Nelson Pass designed back in the day. I am very glad I purchased this outstanding amplifier. I mostly listen to two channel sound using Klipsch RF-83 and they makes these babies ROCK!!!!!

Similar Products Used: Proceed, Linn, Arcam, Carver.
felitopaz   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 17, 2008]
Strength:

Looks, sound stage and beautiful construction.

NONE.

I'd recently purchased this wonderful amplifier and sent it to Jon Soderberg for upgrades. He changed the caps, installed Cardas posts and IXYS fast recovery diode.
I hooked it up to my Anthem AVM 30, Marantz DV9600, Klipsch Reference 7 speakers with Dean Wescott crossovers and I played a SACD. All of a sudden I was in heaven listening to the wonderful details this amplifier produces. I use a Classé CAV-150 to drive the center,surround channels, and the lows on the front Klipsch RF-7's. I use the Theshold to drive the RF-7 highs. The sound stage is very open and detailed. I have used Sunfire, Aragon, NAD, Parasound A-21 Halo and this amplifier is by far the best of them all.

Similar Products Used: Classé, Parasound Halo, Sunfire, Aragon, Anthem, Marantz.
Satch   AudioPhile [Jan 16, 2008]
Strength:

Plenty of power, very stable, never runs hot even when driving a pair of Apogees at high levels, revealing, detailled but never tiring, firm bottom-end. Looks are dependent on taste: I like it, but I can imagine some people find it to macho looking,

Small speaker-cable connections, that's about it.

Bought the S/300 Stasis secondhand to go with a pair of difficult to drive DIY loudspeakers. It did a good job with them. I only realised how good the Threshold is when I changed my loudspeakers to a pair of Apogees, who are ruthlessly revealing. I brought the amp to a qualified technician, who checked everything. All he had to do was to change two small capacitors and adjust the bias again, proof of a well-designed and well-built amp.

Similar Products Used: NAD 214 and self-built Class A poweramp.
soundtruth   AudioPhile [May 07, 2002]
Strength:

There is no weakness, so that is the strength. It has been a faultless diehard in my system for 20 years. In comparison if I could have purchased a car that did the same, they would be sitting champagne glasses on the running engine, and charging $100k+ for it.

None!! But if you own one, sent it to Jon Solderberg for a very painless upgrade. It will not give you balanced inputs like the E upgrade, but he can make these amps sing like no other. If you already have the E version, even more reason to get Jon to upgrade it! You would be hard pressed to find any amp that would match it. You can find him on a search at Vintage Amp. Please tell him I sent you. Or If you can''t find him, contact me; trich727@aol.com I''ll put you in touch. Actually if you own any Threshold or Forte amp or preamp, you will be miles ahead of buying new interconnects or speaker cables to get your gear to sound at it''s best. Thanks, Tom

I took out a loan to buy this amp when I listened to it "back then", it was that good. In 1996 I paid $600.00 to have it upgraded to an E version (to the same as an 350E), it remains the best audio investment I have ever made.

Similar Products Used: Levinson, Bryston, B&K, Hafler,
Neil   Audiophile [Nov 13, 2000]
Strength:

Clearly proves that solid state amplifier designs have not progressed much in the past 15 years. This is still one of the best solid state amps I have heard period.

Big, bulky, Threshold no longer in existence.

I heard this amp when I was 15 years old and it blew me away. I just found a used one in mint condition 10 months ago and bought it. I had been listening to many new solid state amps, and this one takes the cake. I'm using it with a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 and Snell D speakers. It sounds beautiful! If anyone has an s/300 in Silver they would like to sell, I would gladly buy another for my second system!

Similar Products Used: Too many
Daniel Tremblay   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 17, 2000]
Strength:

Dead quiet, runs cool, lots of power to drive Totem Signature Model One in bi-wire config

Nothing really Iwould have to compare it with ML,Krell and the others to pick any weaknesses.Main power switch is not of best quality.

It's a great sounding amp, it has lots of current delivery and doesn't sound harsh, I can leave it on all the time. I have it with an YBA 3 pre-amp and the 2 really sound great. If you can find one go for it, remember to check the main switch.
happy listening