Sonance Sonamp 260 Amplifiers

USER REVIEWS

[Apr 04, 2008]
ncampbell
AudioPhile

Strength:

Solidly built with audio circuits isolated from power supply circuits

Substantial toroidal transformer (A 260 weighs about 20lbs)

Stable down to 2.7 ohms

100w per channel into 4 ohms

Very reasonably priced on the used markert.

I have been very pleased with the performance of the 260's I own so I am struggling to find some obvious weaknesses.

A lack of brand awareness would be the only weakness I can come up with.

The Sonance Sonamp 260 is a very capable amplifier. The 260 provides 100w per channel into 4 ohms. I have used 2 x260 to bi-amp Martin Logan electrostatics (notoriously difficult to drive) without any problems and I have also used the 260 to drive wo32 subwoofers.

The 260's provide a wide soundstage with firm control over music. Imaging is excellent and the overall sound can be characterized as neutral. The 260 can be used as the main amp in a 2 channel system or for upgrading an existing surround sound receiver.

The 260 is never going to compete with a Krell or Classe amp but will make a significant improvement over the amplifier in a surround sound receiver

The Sonamp 260 has always been very reliable. I have 5 260's currently and have never had any problems

OVERALL
[Jul 29, 2001]
Steven Mylrea
Casual Listener

Strength:

Good basic amp. Comes on when thereis a signal otherwise is off. Resonable incomparison to denon, etc.

I had 3 260's powering different speakers around my home. I have had only one short out. The prouble is that was the one least used. I have a Marantz 240 from the 60's that is still working. I also have a Carver TFM-25 and a Adcom GFA-555, but those are newer units. They work just fine

It is a nice amp for just listening to music but does not seem to be as stronge as they say. I am out of their warrenty, so I will throw it. I will bee looking for a different manufacturer on the next ones I get. That will be soon because we are adding on and I want to put two pairs of Klipsch SA-3 outside.

OVERALL