Pass Labs Aleph 4 Amplifiers

Aleph 4

100 Watt Stereo Power Amplifier (1998-1999)

dave   Audiophile [May 08, 2000]
Strength:

Open,very tight lower end,bloom around the instruments,works extremely well with british speakers

Damn ugly,and could heat up a basement in winter

If you ever needed one affordable solid state amp in your life time this would definitely be it.Surpasses all the acodlates that audio magazines wrote.Brings all the positive aspects of tube ampification mixed with the control of solidstate equipment.This baby is a keeper....

P.S combine this amp with a very reveiling speakers(preferably British) and your're in audio heaven.

Similar Products Used: Bryston,Krell,Coda...
Gary Gendel   Audiophile [Nov 23, 1999]
Strength:

clean, effortless sound. Drives almost any load.

High heat producer. Relatively large.

I always believed that once the distortion measures got small enough, one amp would sound the same as another. The Alpha 4 proved me wrong. I heard better definition and a much more effortless sound from my homebrew (time and phase aligned) speakers than I had ever thought possible. Initially I thought the high end was missing based on the extreme smoothness of the vocals. But further listening and measurements convinced me it was a more accurate reproduction. Since purchasing the Alpha 4, I've built a hybrid ESL-T/L speaker pair to replace my previous design (see http://pluto.njcc.com/~genashor/Speaker for pix). It drives the reactive ESLs without a hint of struggling. I'm still in awe listening after a few months... it's like listening to much of my vinyl for the first time. The main drawback of the Alpha 4 is the heat it dissipates. When on, it get uncomfortable to touch. I've had to keep it out of my custom cabinets for fear of it overheating. The 1 hour warmup time is usually not a problem for me, since I usually set aside a few hours when I listen seriously anyway.

Similar Products Used: Leech, Krell, Bryston, AR.
Jonathan Spratt   Audiophile [Feb 13, 2001]
Strength:

Extremely tight melodic bass, valve-like warmth & palpable presence, build quality, completely grain-free presentation

idles at 500 watts & 55 degrees! 1-2 hour warm up time

2-stage (push only) designed pure class A gives a sound emphasising all the benefits of valve & transistor lineages without their drawbacks etc - electronic genetic engineering! Big black cube with 2 inch fins - I've had winter dinner guests huddle around it and warm their hands thinking it to be a storage heater! Needs fork-lift truck to move. No more harsh white noise electronic highs - this is the end of the power amp trail until component failure. Was reasonably priced in UK.

Associated equipment:
Sugden Masterclass CD into Kimber KS1130 balanced
Pass Aleph P pre amp into JPS balanced superconductor
Kimber BiFocal XL into ProAc Future 2's
JPS PowerAC & JPS Digital AC & Kimber PowerKords

Similar Products Used: Krell 300i, Arcam 10/10P
David   an Audiophile [May 28, 1998]

Simply the best Amp I've ever heard... or not "heard".

Jeff K   an Audio Enthusiast [Jul 05, 1998]

I bought this on a friends recomendation. I have been using a pair of Levinson amps. I am truly shocked and joyed at what a improvment this amp is. It is clean and pure and dosnt have any edge to it. I think its a bit expensive considering its a stereo amp of 100 watts, but, Im not returning it either.One negative, it takes about an hour to sound its best. BIG DEAL!
I have been in the music industry for almost 20 years and I am rarley suprised. This was a great suprise. Im also buying the matching pre-amp this week.

Kyle   an Audio Enthusiast [Jul 21, 1998]

Just got this amp last month... The best Ive ever heard, much better then my krell gear which Im now selling. I was concerned it was only 100 watts, but it sounds more dynamic and clean then the krell which was 250 watts.
also own:
Proac 4
Krell pre (changing to a Pass pre)
Krell CD
Dynalab 101
all Alpha-Core cables

Jon   an Audiophile [Nov 02, 1998]

You know at this price range i would think you would want more power than 100 watts. WRONG! oh and by the way it, it kills the krell

TJ   an Audiophile [Dec 14, 1998]

I just bought this Amp a few weeks ago and my jaw has continued to drop as the amp has continued to sound better through it's burn-in period.
I don't know how it can get better than this! It doesn't sound exactly like tubes, but the warmth and palpable presence is there. It doesn't sound exactly like solid state, although the dynamics, speed and bass control is definately there.

It doesn't sound like anything else I have ever heard except for the live performance. It sounds like...MUSIC!!!

I'm sure there will be a music dictionary some day, that when you look up the terms, transparancy, rhythm, speed, dynamics, ultra-high resolution, incredible and awesome, It will say..."see the Pass Aleph 4 amplifier!"

Thank you Nelson Pass for bringing the live performance into my home and renewing my passion for listening.

This Amp is better than 5 stars! It is in a class all of it's own!!!

Signed,
Sleep deprived and loving it!

Bill Sands   an Audiophile [Jan 31, 1999]

Listen and say its not the best youve ever heard!!

Zoran   an Audio Enthusiast [Oct 04, 1999]

Wanted !!!I listen Pass Aleph 4. I really impress with that sound. Can anyone send me Electrical Schemes for this.