Parasound HCA-1500A Amplifiers

205 Watt Power Amplifier

USER REVIEWS

[Sep 13, 2022]
roxannpfwpo

Strength:

Most preamps in this price range are HORRIBLE and should not be used (like for instance the PHP-850) which robbs this amplifier of detail. But then again that may be desireable if you are hooking it to a cheap cd player that probably sounds harsh and digital. Exhaust system repair

none . .

Purchased:
New
[Apr 08, 2007]
Analog fan
AudioPhile

Strength:

Fairly nice sound stage price paid was fair but not worth the $1000.00 MSRP

Poor performence in low ohm loads

This product as with all parasound products leaves much room for improvment. Dont get me wrong its not a bad amp but if you need HCC (High Current) to drive speakers that are a bit hungry for power, this amp would be a VERY poor choice and sadly its one of the better sounding amps Parasound ever made and by the way the HALO series is the sames basic design with a couple more output devices and a nice silver finish for say O three times the price for the same sonic performence. They basicly brought out the (CLASSIC SERIES) as a lesser quality product then brought in HALO as the upper end product and being built off shore its prettie spendy. All in all back to the 1500a its a nice amp to have as a backup in case you Krell or Conrad Johnson goes on the fritz but for magnepan or martin logan this amp just wont keep up.

Customer Service

The absolute worst, there techs can (according to them) do no wrong. If you have a problem with a product they will say there is no problem its something else in your system it couldn't be our product but ship it in and we can (test it) then tell you our product works fine. It blows! Not a very good way to take care of customers.

Carver Hafler Adcom

[Apr 04, 2007]
audionut
AudioPhile

Strength:

Easy on the $$

Mostly the company who produces them. Snobs!

This amp like all parasound products leave much room for improvment dont get me wrong its a fair amp to have as a spare but I found in the case of magnepan this amp just wont cut it. It shut down from lack of current or HCC to put it short. It does ok on speaker that dont demand much power but this amp falls very short in that aspect. As far as the sound goes it is much nicer sounding then the HCA2200 of the HCA1000 But as with all parasound amps it is a bit laid back in the upper midrange (SLOW) For the money paid it is a good spare to have in the closet.

Customer Service

SUCKS!

HAFLER P7000 (MUCH BETTER) CARVER M-1.0t

[Jul 21, 2003]
pietroserrano
Audio Enthusiast

Just to share with everyone who is enjoying the HCA 1500A. I use the RCA out of the amp to send line level signal to my M&K subwoofer and oohh boy, does it make it articulate, fast,deep, and powerful. This is the way to go if you have a subwoofer - IT GOES WOOOOOFFFFFF big time. Enjoy.

[Apr 21, 2003]
Paul Barber
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

GREAT for the money

When all is said and done it's still an inexpensive amp so it will not be the "best" you can get by far.

This amp is good for the money there isn't TONS wrong with it. It's sort of smooth in the midrange (but it "can" be harsh at loud volumes but its not that bad). There isnt' TONS of detail but its sufficient. The soundstaging isn't that great but really, i'm comparing it to much more expensive amps. The very fact that I find no problem compairing this amp with units costing thousands more is a big compliment to this amplifier because it truly sounds like it should be somewhere within the realm of what it considered "audiophile" quality. It's cheaper smaller brother is a reccomended component in stereophile so this unit is truly respectable. If i only had a few hundred to spend and I needed some respectable power because my speakers aren't super sensitive this would be my first choice. It can also be upgraded by ModHi-FI.com which will greatly improve It's level of quality. Perfect for cheap good sound as would be required in a multi amp home stereo system or a housewide audio system. If this amp makes up your dedicated stereo system then don't fret. For the majority of people out there this unit is good enough, in fact this unit creams virtually any reciever. For a nice cheap setup with good resolution, try a cheap passive unit like the creek as a preamp for this amplifier. Most preamps in this price range are HORRIBLE and should not be used (like for instance the PHP-850) which robbs this amplifier of detail. But then again that may be desireable if you are hooking it to a cheap cd player that probably sounds harsh and digital.

lots

[Jan 23, 2003]
Steve in Az
AudioPhile

Strength:

Bang for the buck. Build quality and performance. Available power and current capacity.

None...at ANY price.

Outstanding build quality and performance. Midrange presence is excellent, treble is airy and free of grain. High current power supply ensures tight, deep bass and over-the-top dynamics. Background noise is non-existant and power is more than plentiful. You'd have to spend 5 times the money to improve upon this amps capabilities. Associated equipment: Parasound P/HP-850 Preamp Cambridge Audio D500SE CD Player Pinnacle CGT speakers (bi-wired) Audioquest interconnects Audioquest speaker wire

Carver, NAD, Adcom

[Feb 17, 2002]
chenrezig
AudioPhile

Strength:

Transparancy, soundstage, power, value.

None.o

Wow! Bought the Good Guys demo unit as a second unit for my home. I''m very impressed with the quality of sound that it provides! It surpasses amps costing $2,000 to 3,000 that I''ve heard. I use it to push power hungry, 4 ohm Magnepans which it does with ease. Alot of people complain that these speakers lack bass, but this certainly isn''t the case with the HCA-1500A. I''m so impressed with the results that my next purchase will most likely be a pair of Parasound monoblocks for my main system!–

Bryston, Rotel,

[Jan 10, 2000]
Mike
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

strong tight bass,smooth clean mids, clear focused highs, slightly warm but still very transparent, line outs for easy bi amping or sub hook up, twin input gains, awesome build quality. runs cool compared to my adcom 5500

This is a very nice amp, loads of power. rythmic, musical very low noise, extremely detailed without the least bit bright. much better match for my monitor audio silver 7i's than my adcom. together they're way too bright, you could cut glass with kirk whalum's sax at high volume. the adcom is with my klipsch forte's now and is much happier. anyway for 1000 (i got mine as a demo for 900) its well worth an audition, telling you it's the best amp for the money is silly, sound is a very personal thing and any component taken out of context means very little, but i listened to nad, acurus, rotel and onkyo in the same price and the parasound is the one that said take me home. if i hadnt had the chance to hear the parasound i would have bought one of the others and been very happy as well.

parasound 850 preamp

adcom 5500, onkyo 501

[Mar 24, 2000]
Dan
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Very powerfull, quiet,

Flimzy casing

Just bought this unit second hand, replacing the Sima amp and using it to drive homemade subs in stereo. Very powerfull and deep bass . I just could not believe the change in the bass even thou I'm using the same drivers. For deep bass, you need the power and this amp has lots of it.
Cannot comment on the rest of the audio spectrum. For me a 4.7 for sound and 5 for value.

Bryston 2B, Sima 3050

[May 03, 2000]
Randy Rogers
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Build quality, price/performance ratio, GREAT customer support, loads of clean power, elegant aesthetics

none

I recently purchased this amp to power my mains (Infinity SM155) because while my receiver did a great job (Pioneer VSX-D906S) of driving them, I needed more power for the bottom end being that I am not using a sub. This was especially true when watching Dolby Digital DVD's. All I can say is WOW! The bass was not the only improvement. When listening to plain stereo, I am experiencing my cd's as I never have before. The ability to CRANK this bad boy up with no distortion is absolutely phenominal. Needless to say, DVD is stunning. To the gentleman who says if you don't own Krell you have junk, I have two words for you: diminishing returns. I am a professional musician and passionate music lover. I do not call myself an "audiophile" because of what I feel conveys a self-superiority attitude. Suffice it to say that I have a well rounded opinion about sound and the faithful reproduction of it. As others have stated, it is best to audition pieces for yourself and make the call. I will state that by far this is the single best upgrade I could have implemented to improve the sound of my ENTIRE system. Even at sustained high levels, this baby doesn't even get warm! If you're considering a power amp that gives you great performance, superb customer support AND a TEN YEAR WARRANTY, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better contender-especially for a grand. For more info, check out Brent Butterworth's review at etown.com. Happy listening!

none