Onkyo M-501 Amplifiers

USER REVIEWS

[Jun 06, 2003]
Sergio Nascimento
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Well built, clear sound, does not heat, good bass.

None for the amp.M501. But I feel the lack of digital inputs on the preamp P301. Unfortunately nothing is absolutely perfect.

I have used the Onkyo set (amp M501 + Preamp. P301) since 1997 with excellent results. My front speakers are the fabulous Yamaha NS-1000 (22 years old and still working fine with their Berillium dome tweeter and midrange speakers). On 2,002 I tried to replace the Onkyo set (M501/P301) for the Yamaha A/V Receiver RXV-1000 (just to build a home theater ). The RXV-1000 is great for videos. But it doesn´t has the punch and the overall sound quality of my (old) Onkyo M501/P301. As I listen lots of CDs and MDs I decided to sell the Yamaha receiver and reinstall the Onkyo set again. I lost my home theater when I sold my Yamaha RXV-1000, but with the Onkyo set (amp/preamp.)I´m now enjoying my CDs/MDs/DVDs(shows)with a better audio quality.

Similar Products Used:

Yamaha NS-1000 front speakers, Marantz SL-63E CD player (reclocked), Sony MJE-920 MD recorder, Pioneer 909 CD/DVD/LD combo, Audioquest and Monster audio cables

[Mar 04, 2003]
megarios1
Casual Listener

Strength:

Enough power to run most speaker sistems, runs cool, clean sound compared to other amps in this price range.

Cant get satisfying sound at low volumes.

Bought this amp and the Onkyo P-301 pre amp to match. Overall, I am quite pleased with the results. For the audiophile on a budget this is definetly a very good bang for your buck. My only complaint is that I cant get satisfying sound at low volume, but this could be the speakers I´m running Mission 773e. I also have a pair of Niles outdoor speakers and the amp has plenty of clean power to run both A+B speakers at the same time. Even if I run for a couple of hours at half volume the amp will not get hot, compared to previous amps. Overall a very good value!

B&K, Denon, Pioneer Elite

[Apr 25, 2002]
victor palma
Casual Listener

Strength:

bajo precio, excelente poder

no tiene entradas de mic.

spanish?. bueno el ampli me funciona bien pero al subirle mas de la mitad del volumen distorsiona o en algunos casos se apaga, quisiera saber si se puede operar a menos de 8 ohms y como, aunque me gusta su sonido, espero cambiar despues al M-504 o M-508, a proposito se puede operar el M-504 o M-508 con el Preamplificador P-301?, espero alguna ayuda.

[Jan 24, 2000]
George
Casual Listener

Strength:

Cheap amp

Quality

I just recently purchased this amp from J&R for less than $250, only to realize that one of the channels has no sound.
From what I could tell by listening to one channel it is quite impressive with wide dynamic range,subtle details, and clean bass through my Kappa 8.1. But I don't know how reliable it is based on my experience. So I returned it and exchanged for a HK PA5800.

None

[Feb 21, 2000]
Paul Garrett
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Non distorted sound at high volumes, deep bass.

None so far

I purchased this amp in order to power by surround sound speakers individually. To my surprize this amp sounded much better for the fronts. I have had no complaints. I have Bi-Amplifyable speakers and they sound awesome with this amplifier. I have listened to a few amps in the store prior to purchasing this one and can honestly say that this amp wins hands down. AudioSource and Harmon Kardon (do not know the model, but it was 5 channel 80 or 85 watts per). I am very pleased and I am looking to buy one more. I paid about $289.99 in JandR.

[Mar 15, 1999]
Pierce Cotter
an Audio Enthusiast

I noticed that no one had entered a review for the 501 amp. I picked up three, thats right, three of these on ebay for between 125 and 175 each. They are rated at 150 wpc at 8 ohms, only 15 watts below the 504. No fancy meters but the power is there. I use two of these connected to the preouts of my Kenwood 1090vr receiver to run the front AR312HOs and the rear 208HOs and a bridged Rotel 850 to run my center channel. These units not only look good but they have all of the oomph needed for a quality home theatre system. An audiophile might not like it for cd only listening but at the price and the power, you can't beat them. There are no fans, and they don't run hot. In fact the Rotel bakes at high volumes while the Onkyos don't even begin to sweat. I use the third 501 with a p301 preamp and DX1500 cd player (fastest loading player I've ever seen) in my office and with the 301 you even have dual room capability. Check it out, or go pay a grand or more for an amp that you won't be able to tell a difference on. I have nothing but good things to say about this amp. Onkyo does it again by giving us quality and quantity at a price we can afford!

[Dec 07, 1999]
Alex
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

A great amount of power at a low price point.

None that I can think of.

I originally was using the Adcom amp to drive some subwoofers, but it tended to distort too easily. I picked up the Onkyo, attracted mostly my its price and power output and I am very pleased. It is hard for me to make any comments regarding soundstage or anything like that because I am powering some passive subs with it. But it does a great job of what I am using it for. If you are looking for a powerful amp without emptying you wallet, check this one out.

Similar Products Used:

Adcom GFA-545 (100 watt/channel amp)

[Feb 22, 2000]
Charles Hollander
Audiophile

Strength:

Great Sound at any price. Stunning at $250.

Speaker Matching: This amp is particularly sensitive to the load it sees. Because of its switching power supply, it doesn't want to drive electrostatics, or low impedance speakers like D-Appolito configured systems. On the rear panel is clearly written, "Do not use with speakers lower than 8 ohms." This is the key. If you have a speaker that has a relatively flat impedance curve, one that never drops below, say, six ohms, you can get great performance from this amplifier. I think, as good as I've heard. The reason the amp gets such mixed reviews, here, and elsewhere, is that no one seems to be watching out for the load it drives. When, according to luck or probabilities, the speaker is well-matched, the reports are raves: when poorly matched, the reports are terrible. This tells me that great performance is there. The right speakers will bring it out. Bass, treble, midrange. It's all there. What I particularly like is the ability to handle sopranos without breaking up. For me that's the test.

I find this amp really superior on my dynamic speakers. It makes BASS without boom, Highs without tizz, midrange as natural as you can expect. It has spaciousness. It is punchy. It can startle you with its naturalness. On the other hand, whatever the engineers put on the record, it can get out. It plays all music well; not just classical, or jazz, or rock. It is soprano-friendly. On the other hand, it is baritone-friendly. It is a simple, no frills design. That makes is a great value. With the right speakers, it is a great amp, A GREAT AMP.

The usual stuff.

[Oct 07, 2001]
Chris Behrens
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great value for the money!

Physically wider than typical stereo components. Strange binding post speaker terminals.

First of all, let me explain my perspective. I am not an "audiophile." I will not spend $100 on interconnects. I am, like most enthusiasts, an audio lover ON A BUDGET! Unlike other reviewers, I will not rate this amplifier in comparison to amplifiers 10 to 15 times in price. I will review this amplifier like someone who want to upgrade their current system, but needs to stay within a budget.

For the money, this is a great amplifier. I recently bought a pair of Acoustat Spectra 1100's (electrostatic loudspeakers), and I needed a powerful amplifier to drive them. Despite what some people have mentioned about this amplifier's inability to handle complex/low impedance loads, this amplifier drives my ESLs wonderfully. Changing from my Sony intregrate reciever/amplifier to this amplifier created an amazing difference in sound. The soundstage widened incredibly. It was like I was listening to my music in a can before this amplifier. The dynamic range is so much more broad with this amplifier. It sounded as if I had added a powered subwoofer. The details in the treble and midrange really come alive in the music. Voices sound powerful, but not strained. To anyone who is interested in owning electrostatic loudspeakers, or who have a pair now, you must buy a dedicated power amplifier to really hear what all the hype is about.

As far as power, this amplifier is ideal for a small to medium room. Remember that ESLs are quite ineffecient, so if you use traditional cone speakers, this might work for a larger room. In my medium sized apartment living room, I can't even turn my pre-amp past it's 10 o'clock volume position without my ears starting to hurt, though the sound does not sound strained or clipped.

Physically, I have a problem with the width. It would not fit in my entertainment center, though my cd player, vcr, and preamp fit fine. The binding posts do not allow a pin speaker connector to go through the post. As far as looks, I think it looks wonderful with it's shiny black metallic paint with rack handles.

In summary, if you have unlimited budget, DO NOT buy this amplifier, because it will never be a Dynaco or a Mcintosh. This does not have a 50 pound power supply and it's capacitors are not "as big as a beer can" (but hey, most people aren't intimidated by the size of their capacitors.) If you refuse to buy anything ever sold at Circuit City (can you say Velodyne?), don't buy this. If you have less than $200 to spend, and you want a quality improvement over an integrated reciever/amplifier, I certainly recommend it.

Sony Pro-Logic Reciever/Amplifier STR-D511

[Sep 13, 2001]
Robert A

Strength:

very easy to use and extremely dynamic. They can serve all kinds of speaker driving tasks.

I use two of them for dances. One night after pushing some large P.A. speakers for about 4 hours one of them over heated and went into protect mode. I let it sit for a couple of minutes and it was fine. That was two years ago and the amp still sounds as good as my newest one.

These amps are the best power amplifiers for the price. I have four of them and I use them to run all sorts of speakers. I use three of them for my full range 6 channel surround speakers. I use the other to power 4 - 15" subwoofers at 2 ohms per channel (400 watts at 2 ohms) and it handles it fine. To say it won't handle a low impedence is a lie. I've been pushing these 15's for three years now without any problem. These amps are really well built and offer very clean power( less than .07% THD from 20Hz to 20KHz). They work best with a lower impedence as they put out more power.

Similar Products Used:

outlaw audio, harman/kardon, qsc, Sherwood, sony