McIntosh MC7270 Amplifiers

McIntosh MC7270 Amplifiers

DESCRIPTION

270W Solid State Power Amp (1985-1991)

USER REVIEWS

[Mar 20, 2019]
PanheadXR290

Strength:

Hearing bad reviews of a nearly 40 year old amp where the unhappy owner/listener didn't take the time & effort to replace the amps 40 year old capacitors astounds me,how can anybody be so simplistic they don't understand any other electronics nearly 4 decades old wouldn't still have fully functional transformers & capacitors is beyond me,the fact Mc-7270s are still highly sought out & command a $10 per watt price is a huge testament as to how truly excellent the amps design implementation & build quality really is ,anybody see any 40 year old Krell , Conrad Johnson or Bryston amps commanding a $10 per watt resale price ? NOPE ! The MC;7270s strengths are it's insane build quality ,it's severely underrated continuous wattage output that is always right near 350 watts on my amp Dyno ,the 7270 packs enough punch to drive difficult loads in speakers with large ohm swings as low as 2 ohms up to 50 ohms without triggering the sentry monitor or PowerGaurd circuits ,it's ability to be ran as a 700 watt monoblock at 0.05% THD while being able to continuously meet the power demands of transient peaks & transient waves with an astounding 2,400 watts of power is unequaled by any other brand 270 wpc amp ever made,except other McIntosh amps ,a huge strength is the amps timeless asthetics ,I have my Mc-7270 in the same system as my 30+ newer McIntosh gear ,my 7270 sits with a pair of 1,200 watt Mc-1201 Monoblocks,a pair of Mc-252s ,a brand new MCD-5500 CD/SACD player ,a 1 model old C-2500 tube preamp and the jaw dropping beuatiful McIntosh LB-100 , the 4 decade old Mc-7270 is right at home with all my new electronics & dosent appear one bit outdated ,again I challenge anybody to show any other brand of amplifier that's 40 years old and looks just as modern ,if not more modern than any other brand of amp ,there isn't any .

I've owned 5 McIntosh Mc-7270s since new & didn't replace/upgrade the 4 I was using as 700 watt monoblocks until the Mc-252 came out ,it's 1 and only weakness is it's permenantly attached power cord ,upgrading the 7270 to run modern power cords via installing an IEC receptical takes away resale value ,I still have 1 of my 5 Mc-7270s powering a pair of McIntosh LS-350 speakers and it performs flawlessly .

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
1986
[Mar 02, 2019]
dshute

Strength:

The MC7270 is a solid performer even today 30 some years after it was built. Few amplifiers in it's price range can do it's job without listener fatigue at higher volumes while keeping each individual instrument where it was intended to be in good recordings. Really shines with other comparable equipment and cables. Purchased this beauty at Audio Classics in Vestal, NY.

Will also reveal poor associated equipment and or cables.

Price Paid:
1987
[Aug 13, 2017]
Richie
AudioPhile

I love this power amplifier, i own both tubes and solid state amplifier of different brands, this particular model, the MC 7270 is one of the best SS amplifier i've owned, very powerful and delicate as the same time, open, wide soundstage. It has to be matched with an excellent tube or SS pre amplifier, like any other high end amplifier to sound it's best, the source is equally important as the power amplifier, if you can find an excellent to mint unit, do not hesitate to get it, they appreciate in value as it gets older, the combination of the handsome looks, the blue dual meters, built quality and the excellent soundstage makes this amplifier one of the very sought after vintage amplifier.

[Mar 10, 2000]
Gene Stuart
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Abundant power for all types of music even when using lower effeciency Magnapan Tympani 2c speakers..Very musical ...does not color sound in any way.. extremely sweet open highs.. warm goosebump midrange.. bass on Matallica will rock your world..Lucky enough to purchase from Gordon Gow while the company was visiting all its dealers in 1986 and autograpged by Mr Gow.One amplifier that makes you look for tubes hidden somehwere inside rather than transistors..Just an incredible piece of work !!!

Just not enough time in a day to listen to it...

No matter what you listen to.. Chipmunks to Chopin.. You will not be dissapointed .. A definate 5 all the way.

[Feb 09, 2001]
ben garland
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

build

overall sound

This review is on the Mac 7270 power amp, in the past 25 years I had the pleasure of owning about 3000 audio items have always found Mac to be a excellent buy in quality and sound, one always knows that you will always be able to sell your Mac for what you paid or more.this amp is the 7270 a 270 watt per channel amp.in sound this amp is not the best I have heard from mac, in fact I find it to be the worst.i have owned the CJ premier 11a and the quicksilver silvers both are tube type and that maybe a unfair comparison,but in the past I have always loved the Mac sound but not this time .the 7270 is just flat lifeless,it may very well have been my sources but I must say it just sounded flat dull.if you are looking for a Mac I would urge you to be well aware of the sound before you buy the 7270,on the other hand in the right set up it may very well be a great sounding amp.

Similar Products Used:

cj premier 11a,mesa baron,quick silver monos,martin logan aerius speakers,dynaco cd ,micromega cd ,and rega planet cd

[Feb 09, 2001]
Larry
Audiophile

Mac. Great quality. Average Sound.
Always was. Still is. Great consistency.
Beautiful to look at. Agree, you can
always find someone to buy it used. It
clearly beats the pants off panasonic.
It clearly is good enough for 90% of the
stereo buyers, although so is panasonic.
I say chunck your panasonic, chunck your
Bose and buy Mac. It is absolutely a
big step up from these.

[Oct 29, 1998]
Larry Anvik
an Audio Enthusiast

My MC7270 is now about 8 years old and it just seems to keep sounding better each time I turn it on. To be honest, I originally picked this amp from several others in the same price range for more than just sound quality. Namely, I don't particularly enjoy the hassle factor and expense that go's into swapping out an important piece of my system. Moreover, I was drawn to the legendary quality and durability of the McIntosh marque. I haven't been disappointed on either score. While many equipment manufacturers have come -- and more than a few gone -- the McIntosh name quietly continues building exceptionally high quality components. The evidence of this is the broad and liquid secondary market for Mac equipment going back 20 years and more.
Regarding the MC7270, it delivers high definition mid and treble without the expected solid state harshness. Or at least my ears are incapable of picking up any. Needless to say, the bass is delivered exactly the same way it was recorded. I particularly enjoy the bass definition at low volume. Try it sometime. Its rare that an amp will deliver adequate (i.e. in balance with other frequencies) bass at very low volume while tone controls are defeated. Finally, I have a teenager in the house who likes to crank up R.E.M. on the system when Dad is out. Thank goodness for the power guard circuit, which detects serious clipping and automaticaly adjusts the gain down to compensate before component damage can occur. One other thing I like is those large and accurate Mac meters. They have a very useful peak-reading feature that freezes the needles at the highest point since the last reset. Input sensitivity is switchable at 0.75 or 2.5 volts. Power output is selectable at 1/2/4 or 8 ohms and the amp can also be configured as a 540W mono block quite easily, although few people will really ever need north of 270W/channel. Best of all I can count on the Mac being there trouble-free for as long as I like and that it may someday be passed down within the family. Its kind of a McIntosh tradition. Rating: 5

[Dec 29, 2000]
Rick Cesario
Audiophile

Strength:

Rugged, reliable, great sound and ample power.

No weaknesses. This is a great unit.

I have used this unit since 1987 and its performance has been flawless. I have it coupled with Infinity 9 Kappa speakers which togther provide excellent sound throughout the audio range. Beats the pants off any sub/sat combination any day of the week.

I wouldn't trade it for anything.

C30 Preamplifier (McIntosh)

[Apr 25, 2000]
Ruben Garcia
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Clean Sound

None

I fell in love with this amp. I used it for my music. I have a Marantz SR7000 as preamp for movies and to power the surroands. But for my music specially jazz and clasic there is nothing like the Mac. I am so happy with it. If you are thinking of buying this baby make sure you got a good one. I paid $2200 for a used one. as far as I concern is one of the best investment I have ever done. House of Music in San Francisco

Mc 2125