McIntosh MC402 Amplifiers

• 3D Glass Design Power Guard
  • Exclusive Output Autoformers
  • Fully Balanced Input to Output

Claudio Martini   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 19, 2014]

Having enjoyed and listening to audio with all different types of equipment Such as Mark Levinson audio research Bryston and quite a few others that I'm leaving out for the last forty years I am now fifty seven, I always seem to come back to the McIntosh sound I grew up with, a McIntosh MC250 the McIntosh MC 2105 and the McIntosh C29 preamp these presented to me a organic rich and layered and extremely musical sound that's very hard to get away from I have always come back and this time for good with a McIntosh MC402Amp C2200Preamp Audio Research CD7CDplayer and MR88 tuner

This review is for the McIntosh MC402 which I believe it is one of McIntosh best stereo amplifiers ever made and I believe that it will become a legend like the MC 2105 in the time to come. I know McIntosh has come out with new amplifiers and a line of extraordinary equipment such as the MC452 and the rest of the McIntosh line which are awesome in terms of build quality and sound but the new Macintosh sound is changing with the times faster cleaner more open detail not that it's bad but I believe that that MC402 will represent the true McIntosh sound of old and will be one of the last amps to have the original McIntosh sound.

The MC402 is MC2105 on steroids rich layered musical very very dynamic smooth and has incredible amounts of power the only thing that I feel that will better it is a pair of MC501 So if you find one of these amplifiers grab it I believe it is the best bargain in Audio today.

casablanca1969   Casual Listener [Dec 31, 2008]
Strength:

1) It is not bulky like those older power amp, so it is possible to place in the hifi rack.
2) Heat dissipation is not as significant as other Class A or Class A/B type amp. though it still feel warm during playback.
3) The meter with blue background is very seducing when viewing them at night with dim room lightings.
4) Sound rich, warm and controlled. It matches well with speakers where the highs are offensive and direct. I use it to drive my JBL4338 and the sound is
very clear but not over exaggerating, detail is good and relaxing for long hour listening.

1) You need to ensure your environment is free of dust and smoke as they will be more tendency to clogg onto your inner side of your meter, which makes it looks like a undermaintain aquarium tank.
2) Though it can emit 400wpc in 8,4 and 2 ohm via the output transformer. However I am still wondering why they cannot increase their power when the speaker impedance are lower. For me more power means more control.
3)At 50kg, you need to have at least two person to shift.
4) Sounds warm and relax, I personally don't recommend it to match with the speakers with layback sound nature. This amp not so suit people who like more direct and forward sounds.

MC402 sound one of the warmest in the solid state power amplifiers. Though it never sound as lively as those famous tube amp like Audio Research, Nagra,VTL, ....etc, it does have to power reserve to drive the speakers loud and have a better control bass than the tube amp.

Similar Products Used: Krell KAV2250, Mark Levinson 436.
Greg Bicket   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 27, 2008]

Extraordinary amplifier--hugely powerful, controlled, utterly silent. Neutral, neither warm nor clinical, just natural. Effortlessly drives challenging speakers. Velvety black quiet passages, instant crescendos. Gives the sense of loafing, heat sinks become barely warm after long periods of playing loud. As happy with classical as with Led Zeppelin.
Great bargain amongst high end amplifiers, holds value, plays to spec for generations. Made in USA.

Anroj   AudioPhile [Feb 10, 2006]
Strength:

Seamless presentation from top to bottom.

Heavy.

I bought this amp to compliment my McIntosh C2200 preamp. I wanted to wait awhile before writing this review to make sure the amp was broken and that I had gotten used to its sound (or lack thereof). I love this amp. It is smooth, powerful, has great bass weight and pitch. The midrange is sweet and seductive and the highs are airy and extended. It also projects a wide and deep soundstage with recordings that were recorded that way and is very true to the source without being dry or anylitical. One of the things I have noticed about this amp is the three-dimensional quality that it brings to recordings. Performers have a presence with natural air and space around them. This amp is just seamless from top to bottom. Highly recommended.