McIntosh MC2205 Amplifiers

USER REVIEWS

[Mar 22, 2017]
george nakamoto
Audio Enthusiast

I bought my 2205 in 2000 from hi-fi haven, a McIntosh dealer in whittier cal. they've been in business since the early 50's. my first units were a Marantz and phase linear and 4 bose 901 series 2 speakers. this amp is built like a tank. I've had my amp meters stuck all the way to the right meaning at least 250 watts per chanell contiuous. my 4 bose took all that power and with power guard working I didn't have to worry about distortion. if you like your music loud you need a McIntosh amp with power guard. note. the mc2300 which is pretty popular doesn't have power guard!

[May 14, 2009]
max11499439z

My setup:
McIntosh MC 2205 amplifier
Martin Logan Ascent speakers
Rotel 1070 CDP
SignalCable Ultra interconnects
SignalCable Ultra bi-wire speaker cables

Note that like a previous reviewer, I have not added a pre-amp to this relatively simple system in order to remove any unneeded pre-amp coloration. With that said, the sound of the system and the perfomance of the MC 2205 is excellent. Resolution of vocals, guitars and percussion within a wide soundstage is very good. I have listened carefully to my fovorite CDs including Genesis Second's Out, ELP Works, King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King, Yes Close to the Edge and Pink Floyd Meddle and can now pick up nuances thet could not be perceived with entry level equipment (in my case Adcom 550 amp).

[May 13, 2009]
Marc Mosbacher

My system:
Rotel 1070 CDP
McIntosh MC 2205 amplifier
Signal Cable Ultra Interconnects & Bi-wire speaker cables
Martin Logan Ascent speakers

This amp is timeless: precise sound imaging at low and high volumes throughout the frequency range. Audio stays precise at higher volumes. Soundstage is wide with separation of vocals that is quite impressive. No himt of grain. A fine value if you can find in this price range.

[Sep 17, 2004]
jawzx
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Power to spare and musical as all hell. Very nice looking Build quality like a fine scientific instrument.

Big and VERY heavy, but if you can't ger over that after listening to it you have issues. Will cause severe audio addiction faster than you can say "I wonder how much better this might sound with X attatched to it" Maybe not QUITE as dynamic as some modern solid state equipment in it's price range.

I took a 2255 (the "pro" version of the 2205) home to audition it for a while and came to the following conclusion: If I buy this amp I'll need to replace everything else in my system. As I wasn't willing (or able) to do that I regretfully returned it and continue to enjoy my Onkyo TXDS494 and 5.1 channel audio. The time spent with the Big Mac was a real kick and someday I hope to be able to afford the types of equipment upgrade I'll need to really enjoy an amp like this to it's fullest. My Big 'ol Magnepan MG-IICs have never slammed or been as dynamic and hard hitting as they were connected to the 2255. I have always enjoyed the imense somewhat larger than life sound stage served up the maggies but I've also come to accept slightly flabby bass as the trade off... Not with the Mac. Connected to the 8 Ohm taps on the 2255 the MG-IICs broceded to show what happens when an amp can REALY move a lot of current around.(my little TXDS494 doesn't fall flat driving the maggies but now I have better idea of how much more room the MG-IICs have to grow) The 2255 could easily be described as "an 89 Lb Velvet Sledge-Hammer". It rules any speaker you connect, including the current-hungry maggies, like a benevolent dictator. Bass resolution is phenomonal and the mids are clean and warm, without any distracting color. Treble is smooth and controled, even with speakers that actualy have good extension above 20kHz (the Old Maggies don't). Power output is rated at 250/ch at all output impedences and I beleive it. It never even got above "warm" when driving my maggies to ear-splitting, window rattling volumes. The quality of construction is second to none, It has pretty blue-green power meters, it has a shinny glass front-panel and great tactile knobs. It's a McIntosh. This is one heck of an amp, even by modern standards.

Adcom GFA-505

[Apr 28, 2003]
CX Siagian
AudioPhile

Strength:

Build quality, sound quality, lot of power

None I guess

Wow, this Mac is a great one. Makes me listening and really involved with the music. The sound it produces is clean, detailed, warm, transparent, with excellent soundstage. Truly enjoyable!

Similar Products Used:

Marantz 8, Audion, Audiolab, McIntosh (integrated)

[Jan 12, 2000]
carlos cordova
Audiophile

Strength:

construction, reliability, audio quality

none to me

The sound is nothing short of phenomenal.
Excellent clarity, definition and focus.
The Power Guard system, which can be defeated in the back panel, works admirably and effectively prevents clipping.
It also works well for powering my upper mids in my quad-amped home theatre system.
The Construction of this amp is superb and the reliability is legendary.

mcintosh 2300

[Apr 17, 2001]
jerry kung
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

holy mother... read on..made a discovery..

u kidding me?

I have been living with my Mac for a few months now and minutes ago, i made a discovery that i must share with y'all. (perhaps i am the last person who found out about this.)

If you have not tried, please do the following:
1) MC2205 has an inherent advantage over many other amps in that it has volume controllers (pots) for each channel. Therefore, I wondered why I was using a pre-amp when all i listen to is from CD source. soo...
2) My CD player signal goes directly out to big Mac. I am a great fan of simple design, unclutterness-- with the current setup, introduction of noise is to the minimal (CD to mac to speakers). the outcome...
3) there is no need for flowery adjectives to describe the purity and awesome fidelity i was experiencing. I can honestly say I am able to SEE sound stage, dimension and I could FEEL music.
4) conclusion -- simple is beautiful. After all, as audiophiles, aren't we all in search of truth? of true, uncolored music? why introduce noise/distractions from a pre-amp or other devices connected to the preamp? each item adds its own unique sound signature. get rid of it! and you will finally get to listen to music. music, the Mac way.

let me know what u think.
r/Jerry C. Kung

Similar Products Used:

pass, plinius, krell, audio research.

[Aug 18, 2001]
Jason
Audiophile

Strength:

Quality. Clarity. Effortless sound reproduction. Durability. It simply appears to be a marvel of engineering.

get real, dude.

5 stars. Period.

As Ferris Buehler said, "It is so choice, if you have the means, I highly recommend it."

All light-heartedness aside, this amp is built like a tank, weighs 94 pounds, produces dynamic audio effortlessly in a transparent fashion, and has engineering qualities at which I marvel.

This is one component that I do not know where to begin my description of it. I will never sell it. I am not necesarily a McIntosh freak, however, I am a believer in this unit.

I am using this amp to drive a pair of 40-year-old Acoustic Research AR-3's. AR-3's need lots of power to sound well, and this amp is one of the only one that I have coupled with those speakers that produce audio so effortlessly.

To add further to the above description will lead to incoherent, awe-struck babbling, so I will leave it as it is. Try it out. The MC-2205 is amazing.

Similar Products Used:

Sansui G-8500, Pioneer SX-1250, Pioneer SX-1050, Marantz 2385, Marantz 2285B, Eico and Knight tube amps, and other less notable items.

[Oct 11, 1999]
Steve
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

The 2205 is a solid piece. Excellent Build quality. With the volume controls you can eliminate a pre amp.

heavy

This is an excellent amp. Power and lots of it. Clean power. This is an outstanding value for the money. I am using it to bi-amp the top end and the depth and clarity it produces is excellent. Nothing like a Big Mac.

Meitner 101s

[Aug 28, 2001]
Frank Phillips

Strength:

That classic Mac sound (transformers?), Power O' Plenty, and truly amazing build quality.

My glass front panel broke when I was a bonehead and let the airline goons throw it around. Anyone have one?

It's one of those stories you just can't believe. A great Mac amp at a fleamart for $20. Then I shipped it home to San Diego, and the glass panel got broken. I still love it. I will never part with it. It plays really great music.

Similar Products Used:

Used and built lots of amps over the years, both tube and solid state, high and low power, hifi and pro audio. This is one of the top performers, and certainly the best built.