McIntosh MA6500 Amplifiers

McIntosh MA6500 Amplifiers

DESCRIPTION

Integrated Amplifier 2 x 120/200/250 (8/4/2 ohms) Wide Power Bandwidth Width with Ultra-Low Distortion Power Output Meters

USER REVIEWS

[Feb 08, 2022]
Jelai Ande

Strength:

good performance. It´s a bit on the modern bright light side. (a tiny bit cheap in design, power,and sound)

[Feb 08, 2022]
Jelai Ande

Strength:

good performance. El Paso Auto Glass Mobile Windshield Repair It´s a bit on the modern bright light side. (a tiny bit cheap in design, power,and sound)

[Feb 05, 2022]
cecelia

Strength:

There is no better amp in this price range. Bush trimming auditioned many for over a year before I made my decision. I have mine tied to a pair of JM Lab Electra 915.5's which are biwired with double runs of Tara Labs RSC Prime 500. The sound is really undescribable. All I can say is you won't be disappointed with this amp if paired with the right speakers.

Purchased:
New
[Jun 14, 2017]
Jeff Harper
AudioPhile

I have my MA6500 pushing absolutely beautiful sound to a pair of 37 year old Klipsch LaScalas and a pair of 5 year old Klipsch Corner Horns. ..sound is is crisp, not harsh, high end is clean, low end is firm. I run both pair of Klipsch simultaneously and at 2 watts things move in the house and I seem to be knocking the paint of the exterior. A superb amp....especially when attached to the world's finest hand made speakers with a 70 year history......

[Feb 07, 2017]
Hybrid
Audio Enthusiast

Great amp that I've paired with Focal 1028Be II speakers. Takes the edge off the top end and allowes me to listen to whatever I want for as long as I want with no sign of fatigue.

4 and 8 ohm compatable is nice if I ever end up switching. 2 sets of terminals allows for hooking up 2 sets of speakers. Great if you like to switch or compare 2 sets of speakers.

RCA out allows the amp to be used as a pre or to connect to a sub, and the pre can be bypassed in favor of a different one. And make no mistake, changing the pre will alter the sound. I run my Oppo straight to the amp for theatre mode, and use Macs pre for 2 channel listening.

Sound wise, I find the integrated to have a mellow, laid back sound, which is what I've been after for a while. It stays in the background if I want it too, which is great when company is over. For more critical listening, it fairs wonderfully with vocals and stringed instruments. I find that the built in pre does not command the bass as well as the pre out on the Oppo, but it's of no consequence because I have the option of using either.

As far as looks...well...it's a McIntosh. You like it or you don't. I like it.

[May 13, 2011]
henrygerken

greatsound

[Jun 26, 2010]
boniccie
Audio Enthusiast

This is an awesome mcintosh intg amp.It replaced PS audio trio a100 and i have to admit that the difference was like night and day to me..I recommended to anyone who really want to hear what an audiophile product sounds like...A+++++++++++++++++++++++

[Nov 03, 2009]
athkarag
Audio Enthusiast

I'll be very short, 'cause all previous reviewers have covered the subject to a very good point. That's the best integrated I have ever had, in tems of flexibility, sound character and drive. Please go & check my system in my review of the Harbeth SHL5s which partner the Mac. And keep in mind that I belong to the fans of integrateds, not separates. After all, I'm listening to music, not machines, and I want to own something of exceptional endurance in time, with very stable characteristics. So, what else except a Mac?

[Oct 12, 2008]
trumpetbri
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Depth, imaging, soundstaging, tonality and power. Plenty of oomph and punch for my hungry 4 ohm Magnepan MG 12 speakers.

None sonically or build wise. Just wish the connectors were of slightly higher quality, like WBT for speakers and Vampire for RCA's. But if the $$ went into technology and overall sound instead on the inside, who am I to complain? It sounds handsome and powerful without those upper end connectors anyway.

Most gorgeous multi layered and accurate amp I've owned. This is my first Mac, and I must say I'm in love. It looks gorgeous too with the meters. Wife even loves its sound and looks! Yay!
The tonality and timbre of instruments and voices are the most lifelike I've heard. Very black backgrounds and natural lifelike delivery.
Expensive product, but if I am paying for research, development and longevity I can't complain. I think I'm getting a taste of the best available at any price.

Customer Service

Hopefully good should I need it. I've heard buying form a dealer new is the way to go for best product support.

Similar Products Used:

Bryston, Audio Research from the 90's through 2000 decades.

[Oct 12, 2008]
Brian
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Instrumental timbre very accurate, backgrounds very quiet or "black" as reviewers like to say. Plenty of power for my Maggie MG-12 speakers. (200 W a side for 4ohm imp.)

None sonically, just wish the connectors on back for speakers and RCA inputs were of a higher grade like WBT or something comparable. Not quite in the catagory of Bryston or Audio Research's connectors, but then again, maybe they put the money into the sound, which to my ears is better than the above mentioned.

A wonderful product that is still opening up with the more hours put on it. So far instruments and voices have a realism unparalleled in my previous products owned. (Bryston, Audio Research etc.) I am right in love with the sound of this gorgeous integrated. Yeah, it's beutiful to look at too, and I love the meters. The layering is incredibly lifelike, and tonality is so real it's delicious. This is my first Mac, and I will most likely keep it for a long time. Very pleased.

Customer Service

Have heard it's good. Lets hope so should a problem come up.

Similar Products Used:

Bryston, Audio Research of older 90's/2000 vintage.