McCormack DNA-125 Amplifiers

McCormack DNA-125 Amplifiers

DESCRIPTION

DNA-125, STEREO Amplifier with output power rating of 125 watts per channel RMS, both channels driven into 8 ohms at less than 1% THD, 200 into 4 ohms.

Input Impedance: 100 kOhms
Input Sensitivity: 1 volt rms
Hum and Noise: better than 98 dB below rated power
Dimensions: 19"w x 5.125"h x 16"d

USER REVIEWS

[Jan 23, 2017]
Mannypr
AudioPhile

When you get into a certain price bracket in amps you might get an amp that might do one or two things good with deficiencies elsewhere . It might be smooth but at the expense of detail . It might have great extension on the bass with poor control . Soundstaging might be wide with so so depth .

The Mccormack is an amplifier that does one thing on a extraordinary level and everything else excellent or very good . It doesn't have weaknesses . It is faithfull to the source or neutral with a percieved warmness to a very narrow band of frequencies . I don't think it is warm , rather its lower high frequencies have so little harshness to impart a percieved warmness .

The one area where it is great is in dynamics . From the lower bass to the top frequencies this amp is explosive . Put some hard rock , symphonic music , rap , whatever and it will blow you away . It is not dynamic only in one area of the music but from top to bottom . For the amount of energy on tap , 125 watts to 8 ohms , 200 at 4 ohms it certainly sounds much more powerful . It's 65 amps of continous current I suspect has something to do with it .

In all other areas of performance it is very good or even excellent . Very good soundstage , imaging , high frequency extension , detail with micro dynamics , tonal quality . Musical movements are not rendered dificult to here when in the proximity of another but equally easy to hear in the context of the music .

What you have here is an amplifier that does somethings on a very high level and everything else very good with no weaknesses . It is well made and very reliable . This is a music lovers amp .

[Feb 04, 2011]
dpl35
AudioPhile

I have owned the McCormack DNA-125 amp for about 1 month, here are my impressions. I would say in a nutshell, this amp seems to be a solid-state amp that has a tube-like quality to its sound. I replaced an Odyssey Stratos amp which is also a great amp, very powerful, and pronounced bass.

The McCormack is different, it has nice detail with an airy quality. One thing that I have noticed is that no part of the audio spectrum is over or under exaggerated, it just sounds right. The bass is tight, and the highs are nice. I really like this amp, if you like a solid state amp that leans toward a tube sound, put this amp on your short list.

[Feb 04, 2011]

Silverline Audio Prelude speakers

[Oct 16, 2009]
Michael Kregness
AudioPhile

I just purchased this DNA-125 through audiogon. The unit was nearly perfect, and sounds amazing. I also am very unsatisfied with Odyssey Amps, I have the Stratos, these were purchased some years ago and I have been waiting to find the right replacement amp, that amp is McCormack. My Stratos was always noisy, and even when it was just idling could be heard thru the speakers at least 4 feet away, not good. The DNA-125 is quiet, presents music very well, and has a level of detail that is palpable. I would recommend this amp to anyone at any time. I use the amp with Vandersteen 2CE speakers, and they blend very well. I also have a McCormack HT-1 for the center and back channels, very nice which also drives Vandersteen speakers. Anyone want to buy a used Statos??

[May 29, 2009]
psyopwak
Audio Enthusiast

This amp was purchased used from the original owner late in 2008. It was in pristine condition and still is.
The amp replaced an Odyssey Stratos with cap upgrade. It has outperformed it in every way. It has proved to be quiet, reliable, and very musical. It does not sound warm, as some have mentioned, but rather neutral.

BTW, I had very high expectations for the Odyssey equipment and went through a two year period by which I encountered many problems with three pieces. It was disheartening because I had wanted the Stratos for some time. The Odyssey equipment really let me down. I did not have high expectations for the Mccormack amp but had heard very good things about the company. For SS gear it was a pleasant surprise. My preamp was a tube type, and now I just have a source going to DAC and then to the amp, bypassing a preamp altogether.

This "simple" SS system sounds MUCH better than with my tube preamp. But, like I wrote just before, I had hum and noise issues with the Odyssey. But even when the noise was not present, the Mccormack was cleaner and more musical than the Stratos and Candela (preamp)

I would highly recommend this piece to anyone. It was much less expensive than the amp/preamp combo I was using before and it's performance was a few notches above it.

[May 29, 2009]
geowak
Audio Enthusiast

BTW, I had very high expectations for the Odyssey equipment and went through a two year period by which I encountered many problems with three pieces. The Odyssey equipment really let me down. I did not have high expectations for the Mccormack amp but had heard very good things about the company. For SS gear it was a pleasant surprise. My preamp was a tube type, and now I just have a source going to DAC and then to the amp, bypassing a preamp altogether.

[Jun 30, 2004]
docaudio
AudioPhile

Strength:

Transparency, dynamics, soundstage, price (amps with this level of performance usually cost over $2000)

I think this is a neutral sounding amp, but I wouldn't mind a touch of extra warmth such as that a tube amp might give.

I've listened to many amps in the under $2000 price range and the McCormack DNA-125 is the most transparent of any of these amps that I heard. It is a neutral amp that produces a wonderful 3-D soundstage and is much more dynamic that other 125 watt amps.

Similar Products Used:

Similar priced amps from Bryston, Marsh, Parasound, etc.

[Nov 12, 2003]
jwh7k
AudioPhile

Strength:

Very well balanced, easy to listen to for long periods without fatigue.

Right channel failed within a year, but was promptly repaired under warrenty.

Of all the power amps I have owned from the Dynaco 400 in 1975 to the this amp, the DNA-125 has the most musical sound of them all. I'm not going to go into all the details that one can use to describe an amp, but I have listened to bright sounding amps (Pioneer M22), mellow sounding amps (McIntosh 1900) and in between (Parasound HCA1000, Rotel RB890. The DNA-125 just sounds the best overall, something you could live with for many years and it sounds great with all kinds of music. This is the first amp I bought that was over a 1000 dollars and worth it. It's a steal on the used market for under $1000.

Dynaco 400, Pioneer M22, Parasound HCA1000, McIntosh 1900, Rotel RB890

[May 08, 2003]
axiom13
AudioPhile

Strength:

Well balanced, lovely mids, controlled bass, smooth highs, has 'body'

Could be a little more transparent, with better detail

I have always been a fan of McCormack, but since I have been fortunate to have access to many hand-downs such as the Aragon 8008ST, CJ MV 55, and the Jeff Rowland Model 2, I never needed to look for a new amp until recently. Armed with the advice from all the usual rags, the internet and the great folks here at audioreview and over at audioasylum, given my budget I narrowed my choices down to the DNA 125, the MF A3cr and the Ayre V3. Was also looking at a used YBA 1 alpha. In short, I felt that the DNA had the best balance of sonic and build characteristics. I wouldn't call it neutral, but the slight tinge of warmth in the mids and upper bass makes it very inviting after a difficult day, and the highs are as extended as I have heard at this price. The bass is controlled, though not exactly in the league of the big burly bassmeisters like the Krells and ML monoblocks. It is also very quiet, with a good PRAT quotient, and even has a little of that holographic quality I have heard with the Spectrals/MITs. It is not perfect, and a good score would be 4.5 stars, but I am happy to give it a five. Assoc Equipment: CAL Delta/Alpha Bow Wizard Adcom GFP 750 (this rocks!) Aerius i Totem Model 1 Wireworld, Audioquest and Analysis Plus cabling Comfy chair Cheers and happy listening

See above

[Mar 01, 2003]
James Delaney
AudioPhile

Strength:

listed above but the biggest thing that can be said is simply that feeling of wanting tap your feet and get into the music. THAT elusive quality is one of the most important. After all "enjoyment" is the reason we listen to music in the first place.

at this price point none but keep in mind there are better amps out there, they just cost a whole lot more.

At this price point this amplifier is unbeatable, lots of detail yet the sound is warm, astounding levels of dynamics, capable of throwing a gigantic soundstage and on and on. The amount of detail and resolution this amplifier produces can be greatly improved upon with a upgrade by ModHi-Fi.com thats REALLY inexpensive. well worth it

too many to mention