LINN Klout Amplifiers

Pros: -
Cons: -
Price: -   New/Used: -    Year Purchased: -
sporty   AudioPhile [Dec 27, 2015]

Le Linn Klout est tout simplement le meilleur ampli que j'ai eu. Il est plus musical que le Linn 2250 et le Krell KSA 50.J'ai aussi un vieux Linn LK2 restauré que j'aime autant. Je les utilise avec un préampli Linn LK1 que je préfère au Kairn. J'écoute surtout du jazz et j'aime aller voir les drummers sur le site Drummerworld.

csacred   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 31, 2008]
Strength:

Full bodied, dynamic smooth sound with impressive soundstage and Imaging. Pure silence between songs. Sounds right and effortless. Musical!

Automatic Standby button only works with Kairn preamp so I have to manually turn it on or off even though I have a Linn preamp.

The Klout is a WONDERFUL amplifier. It is dynamic, involving, yet very smooth and easy to listen to, never fatiguing.
It sounds round, robust, full bodied, and reminds me of the analog warmth Rega CD players are famous for.
My set up: iTunes library from my Mac (Source) – Digital Toslink cable – Linn 5103 (Preamp) –
Linn Silver interconnects – Klout (amp) – K400 Linn speaker cables – Kef 104.3 speakers.
My intention was to create a lossless library but most of my compressed audio files sound already surprisingly good. The Klout has this ability to remove unwanted edges and sharpness! I love it.

Similar Products Used: Luxman, marantz, B&O, VTL, Linn LK85, Classik, Chakra (Amazing amp but completely different from Klout, 2 different world & price), Yamaha, M.Levinson,...
davidluvsaudio   AudioPhile [Dec 04, 2004]
Strength:

Perfect with the Kairn can power 250 watt speakers. Next best thing to good tube amps.

Not a whole lot here.

I have to concur with all the above reviews after owning one of these gems for 8 years. I last used it to power B&W 803 Nautilus power hogs. I used it with a Kairn (Brilliant power supply inside). I upgraded to a Klimax twin but found that it didn't go the best between the Kairn and 803N's. I now know that the Linn stuff should only put like for like (Kairn&Klout or Kontrol&'KTwin). The Klimax Twin should be partnered with the Kontol preamp only for intended results. I have recently been bit by the Vacuum tube bug and have changed to a VT-100 mk3 and Proac D15's and they go wonderful with my Kairn and source equipment. The D15's do not play as loud and have as rich bass as the 803N's, but they NEVER sound bad or obnoxious like the 803's can at often times. The Klout or a Chord spm1200c are probably the only two solid state amps I could go back to after being "Tubed".

Similar Products Used: Klimax twin ARC VT-100 mk3 Chord spm1200c (315 watt version) Aria 300 watt monoblocks (standard version)
Monty Burns   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 02, 2003]
Strength:

Depth and width of soundstage. Fast controlled bass that still rocks. Great value used.

only accepts bananas...no spades. Power switch on the back can be annoying.

I usually don't like the sound of Linn equipment (especially their speakers), but this amp is great. Bass, treble, soundstaging are all what I'm looking for. Very accurate reproduction of the music. It sounds much better than the Linn LK85/100/140...there really is no comparison. Used with ProAc 1.5 speakers.

Similar Products Used: Acurus, Rotel, Krell Kav 300il, Linn 85/100/140, Naim, Meridian 551, Primare, AVI Lab Integrated, Red Rose, Copland
Jeff   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 21, 2002]
Strength:

soundstaging, solid bass response, sturdy construction, great value

Power switch is on the back of the unit.

This is one great amplifier! I recently upgraded from an Aragon 4004 amplifier (a great amp in it''s own right) and have been thrilled with the results. The bass response is absolutely rock solid and tuneful and the soundstaging is out of this world. To be honest, I was skeptical that there would be such a huge difference between amps of this quality, but I was shocked at the difference. It was like listening to my CDs for the first time all over again. I would whole-heartedly recommend this component to anyone looking for an amp in the $2000-$5000 range. Just for the record, I am using the Klout in an all Linn system. I think Linn makes some truly fine equipment, but it often gets overlooked for its unique packaging and small size. I love these two qualities, but it seems to be a turn-off for some people. My recommendation is to trust your ears and you will be duly rewarded. Highly recommended!

Similar Products Used: Aragon 4004, Sumo Polaris
Ben Waran   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 29, 2000]
Strength:

Astounding soundstage, base extension blah blah..

None...Pricey though.

Please see the review I submitted under the LK-140. This piece of kit is WICKED. With the Kairn as a pre, you really have entered the high-end of hi-fi. Easily five stars and I'd give it more if that they were possible.

Similar Products Used: Kairn pre (£1400), Kelidhs+plinths (£885), Genki (£995)
Aaron   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 21, 2000]

Listened to a system with one of these at a dealer in Arlington, Mass in an all-Linn system with Ikemi CD player, Wakonda preamp, and passive Keilidh speakers. The amp's got incredible bass, smooth, well-integrated treble without any harshness, and is really really musical compared to cheaper amps in the Linn line or competition from the likes of Spectron, Levinson, etc. This system never ran out of steam with even pretty demanding electronica with lots of deep deep bass. No compression, and astounding detail and soundstaging (if you like that kind of thing.) Not astronomically pricey, and probably worth it.

PIERRE MARCHAND   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 14, 2001]
Strength:

QUALITY OF CONSTRUCTION AND QUALITY OF SOUND

NONE

AFTER 3 YEARS WITH THE KLOUT ET MANY COMPARISION TEST
WITH LOT OF EQUIPMENT ..I NEVER FIND AN AMPLIFIER OFFERING
THAT LEVEL OF PERFORMANCE AND QUALITY OF CONSTRUCTION
THIS AMPS IS A TANK .. WITH A SIGNAL TO NOISE INCREDIBLE
THIS AMPS IS SO QUIET THAT THE SILENCE BETWEEN EACH NOTE
MAKE THAT NOTE MORE CLEAR ... I CAN PUT THE VOLUME AT MAXIMUM WITHOUT ANY SIGNAL IN AND THE RESULT= NO WHITE NOISE
NO HUM NO TRANFO NOISE ...PERFECT SILENCE ...
AND LOT OF RESERVE IN POWER
80 WATTS RMS IN 8 OHMS 160 IN 4 OHMS AND CAN GO TO 840 WATTS PEAK ..SOUND =DYNAMIC PRECISE ..NATURAL

THIS AMPS WORTH EVERY PENNY .. AND FOR THE MONEY ASKED
A BETTER CHOICE THAN THE KLIMAX
I HOPE THAT LINN WILL NOT DISCONTINUE THAT AMPS ...

Similar Products Used: LINN KAIRN AV5140 KARIK AND KREMLIN
Martin Tarvydas   Audiophile [Jun 12, 2001]
Strength:

Dark, quiet and deep sound stage

You ultimately end up craving for more and more Klouts.

I was running 2 lk-140s into the 5140 and then was given a klout to "A/B" the system. It was amazing to see the soundstage immediately grow and imaging improved dramtically. I slowly moved to 2 klouts which once again tightened the imaging and as if the stage was on an axis, now tilting deeper into the back of my house. The natural dred I felt now was that I WILL have to go active! Shelling out for another klout was painful but the final effect was everything that I dreamed if not more.
Basically, running the Klout in an active configuration will blow away almost all the competition. Infact, I auditioned 2 Klimaxs on my system and I did not get the same sense of tightness and imaging (yeah, yeah try them active ).
And in true Linn fashion, the klout does not crave the ridiculously overpriced interconnects which only ended up colouring the sound, whereas the Linn silver interconnects made the klout simply musical.
You cannot be disappointed with the klout from a price point and performance point regardless of getting 1,2 or 3.