LINN C2200 Amplifiers

C2200

Linn’s new Chakra Power Amplifier Range is a series of high performance power amplifiers built around Linn’s latest Chakra power amplifier topology. Comprising a total of eight individual models, suited for a variety of applications from stereo to multi-channel and from passive to AKTIV, the Chakrarange is designed to offer consistent performance, controlled ‘silent power’ and pure sound in virtually any performance entertainment system.

csacred   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 30, 2007]
Strength:

Sound, transparency, imaging, dynamics, control, musicality.
Small and stylish.

None to me.

Because my listening room is only 18' x 20', I decided to replace my music system (All tube) and entry level HT (Harman Kardon 247) for one system capable of doing both well.
In my search, I ran into a used Linn 5103 preamp/processor and my local dealer was kind enough to let be borrow it, along with a Linn Chakra C3200 (3 channels) and an LK85 for the rear channels.
I don't need anything more than 5.1 as long as the stereo quality is very good.
My intention was to keep the 5103, bring back the Chakra/LK85 and instead look for one more affordable Linn 5125 (5 channels in 1 chassis).
... ... ...Well, I connected everything, pressed "Play" in stereo mode, got on my knees to pick up my jaws and signed the check before I even tested the 5.1 options!
My point is, just in stereo mode, this combo make my Kef 104.2 sound better than anything I've tried before; dynamic, transparent, pure, yet with no harshness. I was affraid it would be fatiguing but not at all, very pure and musical!
Unlike with tube gear, every type of music I throw at it sounds at least "good". Good recordings sound impressive & excellent recordings simply sound FABULOUS. I listen to many types of music but mostly to (in this order): Electronica, Lounge, Jazz, Acoustic, World music, Alternative, Hip-Hop, Blues, Opera, R&R

CONCLUSION: I Highly recommend the Chakra 200 series connected to a Linn 5103 with Linn silver interconnect (this is not a detail here, I have tried few different interconnects and the Linn Silver makes a substantial improvement to my ears). The reward is stunning and my Kef are not even Biamplified!
It's also nice to know that with Linn speakers, the Chakras can sound even better with Aktive crossovers, Biamping...or Triamping! (well with the addition of another Chakra C3200, of course). For now, I see no reason to upgrade as this system already sounds better than my original music system.

Similar Products Used: Linn Classik Movie, VTL tube gear, Marantz, Luxman, Harman Kardon, Yamaha, B&O, ...
OVERALL
Ian Clark   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 02, 2007]
Strength:

see above

if you like Linn sound, none

This amplifier sounds simply amazing. It has "pluck". It is crystal clear, clean, pure, natural and unbelievably articulate. Linn has finally figured out how to produce a decent amount of bass. It has a great deal of finesse.
My first Linn amp was a Powertek. Small but good. Then upgraded to a 2250, which was a huge improvement. The Chakra C2200 is that much better even again.
Even though the output is almost the same as the 2250, the Chakra has far more power and definition without loosing any finesse. It is far, far richer. For lack of a better comparison, the difference could be similar to comparing to a BMW 325 (2250) and a BMW 335 (Chakra 2200). The 325 looks the same as a 335, however the 335 is a whole different animal with significantly increased performance/wow factor.
The Chakra makes guitar strings actually sound round, voices are clean and powerful, bass is deep, full and fast, the soundstage is dark, deep and wide.
It is absolutely non-fatiguing to listen to, for hours at a time. The 2250 would run very warm at decent volume levels. The Chakra is as cool as a cucumber no matter what you throw at it.
The fact that it powers off after 5 minutes of non-use and instantly wakens when signaled is both convenient and energy saving.
As you can tell from the above this is not a technical review. All I know is what I hear, and in this case it is stunning.

Customer Service