LINN AV-5105 Amplifiers

AV-5105

Stereo Power Amplifier - 100 Watts

The 45 Club   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 13, 2008]

These reviews are very misleading and are continuously being referred to by sellers on eBay to falsely inflate the selling price of this amplifier.

Let's locate the AV 5105 in its rightful place within the range of Linn amplifiers.

Here's a list in order of sound quality:

KLIMAX 500 SOLO (Klimax Aktiv Crossover)

KLIMAX CHAKRA 500 TWIN (Klimax Aktiv Crossover)

AKURATE 2200 / 3200 / 4200 (Chakra Aktiv Crossover Cards) & CHAKRA C2200 / C3200 / C4200 (Chakra Aktiv Crossover Cards)

2250 (Stereo Aktiv Crossover Card)

KLOUT (Mono Aktiv Crossover Cards)

MAJIK 2100 / 3100 / 4100 / 5100 / 6100 (Chakra Aktiv Crossover Cards) & CHAKRA C3100 / C4100 / C5100 / C6100 (Chakra Aktiv Crossover Cards)

AV 5125 (Stereo Aktiv Crossover Card)

LK240 (Mono Aktiv Crossover Cards)

AV 5105 (Mono Aktiv Crossover Cards)

LK140 (Stereo Aktiv Crossover Cards)

LK280+SPARK (Mono Aktiv Crossover Cards)

LK280 (Mono Aktiv Crossover Cards)

LK2/75 (Mono Aktiv Crossover Cards)

LK2 (Mono Aktiv Crossover Cards)

LK85 (Stereo Aktiv Crossover Card)

LK100 (Mono Aktiv Crossover Cards)

neilburton   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 01, 2002]
Strength:

Bloody excellent. 5 out of 5 really doesn''t do it justice.

None.

Having read the existing reviews, there''s honestly nothing more to say. This power amp is absolutely superb in every respect. The model is fairly unheard of, probably because it''s sold as part of the AV51 range, as opposed to purely hifi. It''s clean and powerful, whilst exhibiting distinctive Linn musicality; and in terms of performance, i''d say it''s not far behind a Klout (and is certainly more affordable, especially in aktiv systems!).

Similar Products Used: Linn Klout, LK280/Spark, LK85, LK100, LK140
Tom Morgan   Audiophile [Sep 10, 2001]
Strength:

This amp is really great.

None

I hope nobody finds out about these amps. Prices could
go up. I have three of them. For the folks below.....I
traded an ML for these. Actually I traded two ML's for
these. ML is okay but simply does not sound as good as
these Linn's. Traded a Krell for one of the ML's. God was that a blessing. Leave the ML's for those that don't buy
with their ears. That is what they are made for. Watt Puppies????? Listen for more than an hour and tell me about Watt Puppies. Ask yourself why you are wanting to stop listening for a while. I have not owned these but I've listened to them many time. One of my buddies is afflicted with them.

Similar Products Used: damn near everything
Jerry Pease   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 16, 2001]
Strength:

Runs very cool, very natural sounding amp, powerful, smooth, detailed, musical and accurate.

None, oh yeah maybe one the AV5105 is very rarely seen for sale in the used market. (Maybe it is because it is so damn good)

Excellent amp! If you look inside the amp you will find it is a spin off of (2) Linn's LK-240 with a smaller power supply and less output transistors. I currently own three AV5103 over the last 3 years. They have all performed perfectly, never had one problem. Bass is tight, Midrange and High's are so perfectly detailed. I am on a quest in going totally aktiv, so far I am short one amp. Hope to have the last one by 1Q2002. Based on my ears I would place the AV5105 somewhere between the Linn AV5125 and the Klout. Of course the Klout being better.

Related Equipment:

Control:
Pre/Pro - B&K Ref 30

Playback:
Power Amp - (3) Linn AV5105 and (2) Linn LK-85
Loudspeakers - Center, Linn AV5120 "AKTIV". Main, L/R Linn AV5140 "Passive by-amp". Surround, Tukans "AKTIV".
Subwoofer - Sunfire Signature.

Video:
RPTV - Sony 53XBR45, ISF Calibrated by Louis Carliner.
DVT - Canon Vistura.

Misc:
Remote - Phillips Pronto.
Home Automation - ActiveHome.
Spkr Cable - Linn K600 & K400.
Interconnect - Linn Interconnect Leads.
Power Conditioning - Monster Cable MP-HTS5000.

Similar Products Used: Bryston 3B-ST, Sunfire Signature Stereo, Aragon 8008ST, Anthem Amp-2, Linn LK-85, Linn AV5125, Linn Klout
ALEX IRWIN   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 04, 2001]
Strength:

Beautiful effortless sound. Bass is tight and realistic, not boomy. High end is sweet to the ears and the mid range, especially females voices, are stunningly accurate.

None

I think that Claude and Dan above me have pretty much captured the essence of this unit. I only wish I could get my hands on another on so I could use them as monos. I have had more amps added to my unit that I care to speak about. Fortunately my wife is a patient woman and seems to understand obsessive behavior because any other woman would have divorced me a long time ago! Like Dan, the Levinson and Watt Puppy combination would be the one that finally sets me at ease. I have a settlement coming from an "on the job injury" and the combination might just one day be a reality! Until then, I know that the Linn gives me the "eargasm" that I require.

Similar Products Used: Conrad Johnson, Krell, Naim, PSE
Dan Noah   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 05, 2000]
Strength:

Excellent Imaging bass response best of any unit I have heard under $2000. Fast accurate precise Linn qualities in all types of reproduction.

None.

Well this is the proverbial bomb amp for the buck! Nothing can touch it for the price point. Using tubes AE3 Audio Supply Company pre-amp and my beauties Maggies MG3A'2 the Linn in tandem with the six foot Magnepans make an uncomprising combination. Cabling provided by Transparent one ten foot pair of Transparent Music Waves gets every bit of information to the maggies.

The my Linn LP-12 sounds magical and CD's have never sounded ast good with Arcam/Monachy Audio DAT combo. I use PSB's for the Rear channels and a sweet maggie center channel pulls all the video out of every DVD.

I am the happiest person alive and when I get rich all could ask more for would be that Levinson Amp/Watt puppy combo I continue to dream about.

Other than the latter the Linn 5105 tends to keep nirvana pretty in wraps in my living room.

Buy this AMP its the best for the dollar.

Claude D   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 03, 2000]
Strength:

Disappears

Speaker outputs are Speakons; somewhat difficult to find terminators for cables.

I have the good fortune to be using 3 5105's for my front three active Linn speakers (Tukan L&R, 5120 center). I don't know exactly what to ascribe to the amp and what to ascribe to the active crossover / speaker, but the combination is stunning. It is effortless, musical, and most importantly it disappears and leaves the music to be enjoyed. Bass performance is tight, detailed, and full. Midrange and highs are very relaxed yet detailed.

At this price point, it's a steal!

If you have passive Linn speakers, upgrade them to active. If you do so, consider the 5105 as your amplifier (though the LK series aren't bad for the money).

You should also include this amp in your short-list for other speakers.