Kenwood KM-X1000 Amplifiers

KM-X1000

130w x2 Channels - THX Certified

Jay   AudioPhile [Jan 23, 2018]

I got the power amp from my friend. Very good detailing. Used with Adcom 565 pre amp.

audiomaster   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 28, 2015]

I bought this used and at a very reasonable price. When I plugged it in and the music came on, first thing I noticed was that the solid images it created, vocals, both lead and backing, sound fantastic.

Terrific bass too, and when watching movies, they sound great, the dialogue sound so clear, I no longer turn the volume up as I was with other amps.

It does have a bit of fatigue factor, but it is not to the point where you would turn off the music.

Keep in mind it was less then five hundred bucks when new, and in my opinion, it offers great sound for a price of a low fi receiver.

I am planning on getting another one so I can run two of these in bridge mode, this way, you will get 270WPC.

bmseric   AudioPhile [Aug 22, 2011]

I bought one 2nd hand unit sometime before 2004, I used it as stereo power amp., but after I upgraded it by using 2 units & bridged it with 270wpc output in 2006, it changed its performance completely. Of course I use it with the same Vestex Pro 45 maxer as the Preamp. and also used the same Sansui Tower speakers.
The Hi to Low Feq.output were so detail, it shown me the power deep base, but extreemly quiet when the CD stopped! Up to now, August 2011, I'm still using it for hearing Jezz as well as classical music. Although I also have the Mark Levison 332 power amp. I still keep this Kwnwood KM-1000 because of different apperance and performance, not to mention their prices were so low. The usage between the two Amp were 50/50. I love this Kenwood KM-1000 very much! Cheers!

erick77   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 26, 2006]
Strength:

over powered to kieep the noise and distortion low...
thx rated = a stated S/N raio of 120db (probly full power
Bridgeable.
Beautifull case
toriodal transformer
cerafine power supply capacitors

out of production

Great amp...
Excellent clarity and power....
I never triggered the cooling fan.
I used custom focal/vifa loudspeakers with 4th order crossovers so
the system was seriously advantaged in the speaker department..
source components of numark dj mixer 90db s/n ratio panasonic cd 110db s/n ratio.

Similar Products Used: Compared to $30,000 nightclub sound systems sporting eaw loudspeakers and 30,000 to 50,000 watt amp systems.....
sony receivers with discrete outputs...

music love   Casual Listener [Sep 27, 2002]
Strength:

+++++++++++++

++++++++++++++

Similar Products Used: THX
pmg   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 13, 2000]

channel imbalance

the amp has a cannel imbalance that is very subtle,yet it can be heard. it involves a slight timbre and volume imbalance. have had the amp 3 yrs, and recently bought an audiosource amp3, which, the imbalance aside, blows the kenwood away. i prob. use it as a subwoofer amp. pretty disappointing.

Similar Products Used: audiosource amp3
Dan Rapp   Audiophile [Nov 16, 1999]
Strength:

Price, good value for power

Slightly dry, forward sound, maybe lacking a bit of transparency

I, like Larry (see above)got two of these amps for less than $360 through an ebay auction at vanns.com. On my Martin Logan CLS-II electrostatics they sounded a bit dry and not as transparent as my Yamaha DSP-A1, but I also changed cables around the same time. In any case, these are a great choice for powering surround sound system speakers, and they really took a load off the Yamaha that I am currently using for the front two CLSes. So now my surround speakers are getting a "mere" 120 watts per speaker - with audible improvement in the power-handling or decibel capacity of the system. A great value, in my opinion.

Similar Products Used: Yamaha DSP-A1
Al Kavaliauskas   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 09, 1999]
Strength:

price and performace

controls and inability to bi-amp

I'm using the amp in stereo mode and is connected to a Dennon DCM 420 CD player, which provides volume control. The speakers connected to the amp are Infinity Delta 40's. Net net the system produces fantastic audio, absolutely life like realism. The music I play is mixed between Hard Rock and Show tunes. I plan, in the next few weeks, to upgrade the CD player with one containing an Alpha processor. I highly recommend this unit for, especially for those interested in an inexpensive amp. The amp is used in a vaulted room that's 24 X 18 and amp’s power is more than adequate, with amps to spare.

A single word to describe this amp is value. Knowing what I know now, I would have paid $400 to $ 500 without hesitation. Additionally, if more power(amps) are needed, I have the flexibility to purchase another amp to use both in Mono mode. By the way the Infinity Delta's are 6 ohm speakers, would that be 290 watts per Mono? That’s an option…… stay tuned..