Denon POA-2400 Amplifiers

POA-2400

200 Watts - Class A (1988-1992)

Thebomb   AudioPhile [Mar 20, 2012]

Just picked up a Denon 2400 a in mint condition to drive some vintage Maggies MP1 from the seventy's. Previously was powered by an Audio Research d-60. The old set up was nice but underpowered and would make lots of other speakers sing but not the Maggies. What a difference the clean power did with the depth of the maggies. Now the speakers sound as they intended too, sweet. A long time ago I had a home made speakers that was driven by a Sunn Magna 3800 power amp that had similar specs to the Denon 2400 A. Feel like I'm 20 years old again.

audiomonster   AudioPhile [Jun 21, 2011]

The Denon POA 2400a amp was made during Japans golden hi-fi period in the 80's. There are many excellent amplifiers by different Japanese manufacturers from this period that are still highly sought after in the vintage collector market and this amp is no exception.

The Denon POA 2400a has an incredibly open soundstage with a great sense of depth. Individual musicians positions are revealed and their performances never seem congested or veiled. This amp is extremely revealing without ever sounding strident. The Denon POA 2400a effortlessly presents the gentle and subtle harmonic overtones to the listener in an accurate and non fatiguing manner. The highs are accurate and the bass is tight and very well controlled. The only mild criticism for this amp is at times the midrange can seem a little thin. This is a small criticism for an amp that can be purchased for less than $500.00 on the vintage market.

To find an amp with similar quality in todays market you could easily spend over $2000. The Denon equipment coming out of China today just doesn't do justice to the reputation that Denon garnered from its past triumphs like the POA2400a.

Todd   AudioPhile [Jun 21, 2011]

shalendra   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 02, 2010]

I have got DENON POA 2200 POWER AMPLIFIER It's in 8ohms 200watts per channel can drive, This is one of best amplifier i ever have used.. Because its sound was very strong and very clear.
If anybody have any experience with DENON POA series POWER AMPLIFIERS please share .....Thanks

joe logston   AudioPhile [Oct 13, 2009]

bought this new round 1987 for $700 use it 4yrs. and got a aragon 4004 amp the aragon sounded better on top & bottom ends had a sweeter med range so i put the denon away, wend i moved to new place i pluged
my stuff in the recepical, it was reversed polairity and the wirers on the roof coming into the house were touching that made 110v to 220v i smelled smoke
and the aragon never worked right after that so i used my yamaha rx-v1 reciever for two channel &home theater system and it sounded good but was mission something then i remberd that i had the denon amp so i put it into my system
and was i surprised it cleaned up the highs & tighen up the lows. i think the poa-2400 is one of the best amps for the money out there, but i had to modify it, changed the plasitic 4 speaker post to 2 good ones disconnected the two volums controls did this mod yrs ago, this amp sounds so good i cant believe it, i had this gem stored away so long
denon made a mistake with these amps, made them to good, there suff is crappy now

thanks,

joe

Terry Pate   AudioPhile [Sep 05, 2008]
Strength:

Power, imaging, soundstage,

Hard to use speaker binding posts.

The Denon POA series of amps are the best sounding amps I have used. I am running hybrid electrostatic panels with these monsters and they continue to amaze me. The real trick with these amps is to run two of them as monoblocks, this lets the already oversized power supply really shine. The amps are not bridgeable, but running only one channel of 200+ watts seems to be adequate. I have found that the cheapest Dakiom stabalizer works best on this amp. The soundstage and imaging are first class with no typical transistor harshness. The amps are dead quiet and sound just as good at low volume as loud. They do get hot when pushed so adequate ventelation is required. I have found the "cd" input has sounded better than the "normal" in most cases.

Similar Products Used: Parasound HCA3500, Apt Holman amp, Crown(various), Adcom (various), Carver (various),Alesis, Hafler 500, Hafler 220, Conrad Johnson, Dynaco
Barnapkin   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 05, 2005]
Strength:

Warmth, and ability to power two pairs of Klipsch that way they were designed.

Some early models had a tendency for the circuit protection to kick in too soon. There was a service bulletin that required a few capacitors to be added to the circuit board that fixed the problem. (sorry,but I have forgotten the bulletin number. I fixed it a long time ago.)

This review is for a POA 2200. I have owned this amp since 1987. This is an ideal amp for Klipsch (Pre-KG4) speakers. I have yet to find a replacement that has the performance. Especially for the cost. This amp is the heart of my system. When I bought this amp, a lot of the guys in the barracks were buying Yamaha M-80 amps. They all ended up haning outhung out in my room. My only regret is that I did not buy two.

toffy   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 29, 2004]
Strength:

Built quality. Great soundstage, tight Bass. Perfect match with my JMLabs. Very quiet. The Direct input is a great plus. This Amp sounds and looks awsome.

None if you compare the ratio: built quality/Price.

This review is for a Denon POA 2400A. Since I was not pleased at all with the stereo sound of my Yamaha receiver, I decided to purchase an external Amp. My luck was to find a Denon 2400A in mint condition. I can only say that I regret not to have bought this big baby sooner. What a spectacular Amp! The soundstage is now richer and so detailed, even at low volume. Bass is strong and accurate. Highs are incredibly clearer. Simply put, I do no longer recognize my speakers. I would certainly recommend this amp for a budget-minded audiophile that wants to know what true high-end audio equipment means.

T L   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 10, 2003]
Strength:

Build quality, accurate sound, high power, runs cool, tight bass, smooth mid-range, and high end is detailed and well extended.

None, unless you can find one.

This review is for the POA-2200 stereo amp which was produced during 1986. This was Denon's High End amp at the time and rated 200watts/ch power optical class A. I decided to owned a VINTAGE amp after during some research about Denon and was very fortunate to find one just like new at play it again sam on the internet. This amp sold for $700.00 in 1986 and today would probably cost about $1500 on up considering its build quality. The sound is very neutral and clean throughout the spectrum with the low end being its trade mark executing with tightness and control. If you are lucky to find one in good condition buy it, you will be glad you did This is a classic amp with pure sound and can compete with many HIGH END AMPS out there today. My Equipment: Marantz 7300 OSE A/V Receiver Denon POA Stereo Amp 200/wpc Acoustic Research "Venerable" 302's (95) Canton Nestor 403 Center Mirage FRX one surround rear Adire Audio 12" Sub Woofer, 250 watts Onkyo Integra DX-C606 CD Player Pioneer 414 HT Mag. Hot Ticket Award DVD Dual Vintage Turntable.

Similar Products Used: Parasound amps.
liplap   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 31, 2003]
Strength:

Just makes beautiful music.This is a very nice and powerful AMP.

no digital inputs,But has direct input to bypass the gain control.

This is about the POA 2400A.As this is my first power amp I spent 3 months looking for the right amp for the right price.I am grateful to the person who sold me this amplifier.Not knowing what to expect from a "good" amp,I can only compare it to my denon 1801 reciever and other Amps I have heard.All I can say is"oh my God".The detail,midrange and soundstage are incredible.I have it hooked up to B&W 602.5's and am using my 1801 as a preamp.I'm no expert but I know what I like.And me Likie this denon.Using an anolog power meter I have not pressed past 60 watt rms.at this level my room shook with no hint of distortion.The 602.5'a are rated 120 watts and I didn't want to press my luck,But I couldn't believe what I was hearing.Solid clean midrange and every tink and tunk of the music I threw at it.Its no wonder Denon quit making this amp.It showed up every other amp denon made.At 60 watts the amp runs cool.If your lucky enough to find a clean 2400A buy it.I can find no flaws in it's performance and look foward to exploring it's upper limits.