Denon AVC-A1D Gold Amplifiers

AVC-A1D Gold

Same as Denon 5700 but no tuner (with golden finished)

marcus rowe   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 23, 2000]
Strength:

sonically perfect in both stereo and multi-channel formats. easy to set up and use. very flexible configuration.

none to date.

I cannot fault this unit in any area. I was initially sceptical of moving away from Yamaha, having always been happy with their processing. But, this unit not only blows the Yamaha away in terms of musicality, but also with regard to its reproduction of digital movie formats. I personally am using it together with the full KEF reference THX speaker package. This amp controls these speakers beautifully. The bass now has seemless integration within the system, yet has lost none of its presence, a very surreal experience when first sampled. I personally opted for the black version, and its finish is superb, not truely black, almost graphite, and far from dull. I now experience true hi-fi music, and true auditorium cinema. Do not demo this unit unless in a position to buy.......you will never again be satisfied with your yamaha once you have tasted the denon!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: yamaha a2
Richard   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 06, 2000]
Strength:

Features all types of processing known to man.

Nothing

I just acquired this monster amp and I've used it with a Toshiba DVD player & B&W 600 series speaker set. It really astonishes me everytime I listen to it. The best surround amp I've ever had.

Malcolm Percival   Audiophile [Mar 18, 2001]
Strength:

Superb musicality, excellent power, massive dynamics, detail, ease of use

Remote unit not the most inspired design though easy to use - physical size and weight - no analog direct function

Way superior to anything I have heard in Home Cinema, the Denon AVC-A1D is flexible, futureproof, has more than enough power to suit almost anyone and isn't lumbered with all that EX/ES stuff that all the manufacturers are adding now but no-one really needs at home (OK for dedicated installations - cinema rooms etc. but can't these people afford processors and power amps?). The Denon usefully has two multichannel analog inputs - meaning separate DVD-A and Mulitchannel SACD players is a possibility - something which many processors can't live up to... The Denon is a viable prospect for an all-in-one music and movies system for DVD/LD/DVD-A/SACD/CD etc. without sacrificing musical involvement on the altar of Home Cinema dynamics and processing. Alot of money (2000 pounds sterling) but worth it.

Similar Products Used: Yamaha
PJ   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 04, 2001]
Strength:

Stunning for HT, Can compete with almost all good integrated amps for music, can run 4ohm loads

Remote, manual, runs fairly hot, fan is audible

This thing is great if you need a unit that does both HT and music. If I was more orientated towards music, I may go for seperates, but the denon is no slouch in music.

It outperforms all sub $US600 integrated's I have ever heard, it may compete higher, but I haven't compared.

HT performance goes without saying. If you want HT for a sub $3k price point, dont even bother looking at seperates, they simply can not compete in both sound and features to a decent surround amp.

The denon outclassed the yamaha (DSP-A1 at the time, but also the RX-V1) easily, esp. in music. It also outperformed the marantz and onkyo units when I demoed them.

I only bought it as I could get a good price on it. $2800 is still a good price for this unit, but I would prefer to go seperates at the full price, as I am fairly music orientated and seps give that extra flexibility and upgradability.

Similar Products Used: The equivilant Onkyo, Marantz and Yamaha models, rotel seperates, MF seperates
HK   an Audio Enthusiast [Aug 06, 1999]

Asian Model of Denon 5700, it's called AVC-A1D AVC means Audio and Video Center
AVR means Audio and Video Receiver
the difference is gold and black finish, also the asian model has no tuner.
They are the same quality. But i prefer the asian's gold finish

a reference machine

Per Lund   an Audio Enthusiast [Oct 03, 1999]

This amp rules!! I've had this monster about a month and it continues to amaze me. It's goodlookin and wow what a sound. I use the new Jamo System Two (THX of course) and moviesoundtracks is reproduces with the correct amount of punch and clarity. I just love it. Higly recommended and VERY addictive.
Forget about crappy Yamaha products like the DSP-A1 go with DENON.!!

Johnny Nielsen   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 09, 2000]
Strength:

Loads of inputs and VERY easy to use.

none!

This is simply the most addictive amp I've ever owned. It sounds great
and has plenty of muscles. Been using it for 10 months now -
never thought twice about this buy.

One of the features I like the best is it's ability to remember which
mode to be in for each input device. If I want to listen to DVD, just
select it and the amp goes THX... select tuner and it's automatically
back in stereo.

The sound - you just have to listen to it!

It goes in both black and gold.

Similar Products Used: uhm, well my old amp was a Denon AVR 1000...
ugurtan derman   Casual Listener [Apr 02, 2001]
Strength:

perfect in 2channel stereo.And incredible power 140watts per channel.excellent dynamic range.

nothing.

If you dont have a subwoofer .Its really hard to find a speaker for avca-1d.It s working well with B&W and definitive tech.

Similar Products Used: no one can be its equal.