Cyrus III Amplifiers

III

serdar   AudioPhile [Dec 29, 2017]

jbl pro speakers with cyrus 3 very good sound....use tara labs prizm power cord with rodium connector nice sound very strange

Derek   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 05, 2015]

I have a Cyrus IIIi amplifier. There are no controls for Tone or Bass. Should there be other gizzmos attached, e.g. a pre-amp to achieve this control?

Pithecanthrowupiserectus   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 31, 2014]

Recently I bought a 2nd hand Cyrus-III amp here in The Netherlands. Paid EUR 250 for it, maybe a bit too much…? That's what I thought. As an electronic engineer I immediately opened it up and replaced some major capacitors, added ceramic RF decoupling here and there and then, went for a listening session. As a lover of progressive jazz, I always test on 'instrument isolation capabilities'. I know each instrument, what it does and how it should sound. Then, my thought was: Cannot do much. The speakers are 95% of my sound, so I am playing only with the 5% left… Well, that's what I *thought*.
What a great amp! I greatly recommend it to everyone here who is looking for a good 2nd hand amplifier. Amazing, the definition is enormous, wide and deep, clear as hell on my focal tweeters and Audax main driver. The III might get too old now if you are not capable in replacing some capacitor stuff here and there, but newer types certainly will be top !

simonashton   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 23, 2002]
Strength:

Perfect, Everything!!

I wish I had enouth money for the 7 ^_^

I actualy paid £250. I have the 3 not the 3i. I got this amp as an upgrade from my Technics SA-R230L. I’m running it with Mordaunt-Short ms25i speakers and a Technics SL-PG490 with home made interconnectors and Gale speaker cable. I hadn’t heard this amp before I got it. But I had heard a Cyrus 7 in a shop, which sounded brilliant. So when the time came to upgrade the choice was between a Audiolab 8000a, a Musical Fidelity XA-1 or the Cyrus. By only reading reviews I decided to go for the Cyrus. I was a bit worried about it only being 50wats but I found it is easily enough to power my speakers. It may only say 50wats but that’s just when it stays within the specifications, i.e. distortion levels etc.. But in actual fact it is very powerful. The Bass is excellent and the treble is smooth but crisp. The imaging is very accurate on vocals and acoustic instruments. Separation and soundstage are what you would expect from a high-end amp. I think my favourite thing about this amp (apart form everything) is the way that it sounds so smooth like a valve amp, but it is very clear, crisp and powerful because its a transistor. Also it looks pretty neat on the rack ^^ It just made my speakers sound 100% better! Mordant-Short and Cyrus are a amazing match! My next upgrade will probably be my speakers. I was thinking about getting Magnapan MMg''s but ended up getting the amp. So I think they will be next. If I can get them shipped over from America at a decent price. I''ve talked enough now....

Similar Products Used: None
blowfish   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 01, 2002]
Strength:

size

Build quality, service In the years Ive owned it the CD input had mismatched levels, Left speaker channel became fuzzy and was repaired. Then pots started shooting up by themselves and was repaired and now both channels gone fuzzy and repair bill too high to bother carrying on. Cant belief that a solid state is so fragile when original turntable CD and everything else has been fine. NEVER BUY CYRUS AGAIN

Fine at first when powering smaller less demanding speakers. Build quality very poor with regard to internals

Similar Products Used: Joleda
William   Casual Listener [Feb 08, 2000]

The new Cyrus 7 sounds superb

The Cyrus III really shouldn't be used alone, and I can empathise with fellow owners who have tried to put together a balanced system around this amplifier.

Used with the warm-sounding Arcam Alpha 8SE and Wireworld cabling, the superb ProAc Response 1SC was too revealing of cheap solid-state electronics, the Dynaudio Audience 50 drained too much current and the AVI Biggatron was too sterile and underweight. The B&W CDM1se was listenable but sounded 'boomy' at higher volumes.
Especially in classical music, instruments took an unnatural edge. Should have listened to an earlier dealer who told me it wasn't accurate, unfortunately I was sold on the electronics and cool volume control.

Speakers that do work well are the JPW Ruby 2 (from Richer Sounds) but again at higher volumes there is port turbulence, the Rega Ela (on special offer in Hi-Fi Corner) offers a lot of the punch from the Dyns, most Ruarks and not surprisingly Mission bookshelves.

However, adding the PSX makes a huge difference and I would suggest not purchasing speakers before hearing it with the PSX. A lot of that spitty treble is gone, and the bass is so much firmer.

The PSX Cyrus III sounds even better with the Cyrus DAD3Q and Mission 752s, offering perhaps the most spacious rendition of the ubiquitous Hotel California (live) in any showroom that I've heard at that price point and probably will want to hear again. All of which can now be picked up as a bargain second-hand/x-dem. It'll sound better, look better and last longer than any (comparably priced) bigfatairybass Teac Reference pile of garbage. And the case-work does extend all the way round, something to amaze your Denon and Teac friends.

In the end, I couldn't be bothered, sold it, and bought an the more accurate Audiolab 8000S.

Pham Tuan Hung   Audiophile [May 17, 2001]
Strength:

Exellent bass, detail, open sound

My Cyrus IIIi and PSX-R sound better than every amps I've heard before (like Alchemist Nemesis, Classe 101 ...).

Jan Morten Helgestad   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 07, 2001]

I've had the IIIi amp for 5 years before I bought the PXR-powerbox. The difference was total. Sound became warm but distinct, relaxed but interesting, and with a much better musicality.
Cyrus IIIi alone is good, but is not outstanding with good speakers(such as my EPOS ES14), but with the PXR- power it became outstanding.

Peter Mercer   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 14, 2001]
Strength:

Simple and flexible, good input options, Can upgrade facility to bi - amp. Smooth sounding system, warm bass, not to harsh upper frquencies.

Can be too smooth suits classical music, acoustic rock/pop, jazz. Does not suit indie rock less well produced music. If used by itself can lack detail

Initially I purchased an entry level set up from the Cyrus range 3i integrated and DAD3 CD player, Good smooth sound though limited, rock/indie music could sound dull and uninvolving unless well produced. Classical, Jazz, acoustic and less cluttered well produced music fairing well. I later added a Cyrus Power and Bi amped using the 3i to drive the bass and the Power to drive the treble - what a tremendous difference, heavy well defined bass, good soundstaging and detail in the upper frequencies. Conclusion is that the 3i is average to good on its own however add a power amp and youve got an excellent entry level set up (recommend use floor standing speakers) The 3i can also be used as a pre amp only, connected to two cyrus powers in a bi amp config and you've got one heck of a sound, detail and power, can take on most kinds of music.

Similar Products Used: Heard Arcam alpha, Marantz
Nick   an Audiophile [Aug 15, 1998]

I have this integrated amp with the PSX-R power supply for over a year now and must say it is absolutely wonderful. There is the convenience of the remote control and extra inputs compared to my previous Cyrus 2, but the bottom line is the sound. Detailed yet non fatiguing highs and strong, tight bass. It is probably not as great sounding as the YBA Integre DT amp, but with a much lower price and remote, is a hell of a better deal and definitely beats out any other integrated amp from Britain or elsewhere. As for power, it can blast my Kef 104/2's to astonishing levels with no clipping or distortion. Cyrus/Mission keeps the amp simple in design, and concentrates on the sound and quality, that is why it's been an international award winner for years. It's also the most beautiful amp on the market, better than any Bang & Olufsen product.