Carver Audio TFM-15Cb Amplifiers

TFM-15Cb

100 watts (1992-1997)

FlameHazeShana   AudioPhile [Dec 05, 2010]

While i was out getting parts for my DJ system, i picked up a lot of carver amplifiers, and this little amp ended up being one of the amps i found. Because i don't have the parts i need, i don't have a pre amp for this amplifer, but i'm in hopes of getting one. I will start by saying that Carver has never failed to impress me, and this amp does a great job. It only has hit 25 watts so far and hasn't done much more. but that is because of the pre amp isn't installed. I have this amp driving my JBL truck speaker, and my Black phantom Pro Pyle driver speakers. It is loud already, at 25 WATTS! i can't wait to get a pre amp. If you want to see the amp in action, look for RAVE SYSTEM TEST 12 on youtube by bait 28

Shana   AudioPhile [Dec 05, 2010]

Joekin   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 15, 2005]
Strength:

Solid counstruction. Great sound stage and depth. 280 watts in bridged mode.High current-High Voltage.

Some probs with relay& ground. Though amp is 9 years old.

I have two 100 watts stereo/280 bridged Tfm - 15 Cb's.I run them bridged.They are vary musical.Most important is that they are silent.Only the music comes through.I have had to have one fixed, bad relay and ground.Overall a solid well built amp.Well worth the $$ for the used ones.I got the secound one for $ 170.00 on E- Bay.

Similar Products Used: Caver CT-24 PreAmp.
haque   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 20, 2004]
Strength:

smooth sound.

very good amp in it's class. sounds beter then many audiophil hi-end amp. good value for money.good bild.recomended.

powerhouse7   AudioPhile [Oct 23, 2004]
Strength:

Great performance at a bargain price. Good frequency response.

Meter lamps burn out although LED replacements are available on ebay.

I purchased my Carver TFM-15cb to drive a pair of Infinity RSIIBs. I had tried quite a few amplifiers before and because of the impedance range of the speakers (1.6 to 14 ohms)I had to contend with audiable distortion or other amps simply overheating and shuting down. 1 Toshiba died a fiery, smokey death. Until I tried the Carver, the best results were with tube amplification. I agree with other reviews that the amps run hot, and I found this to be the case at all output levels. I purchased a second Carver TFM-15cb to take advantage of the bi-amp option of the Infinity speakers and to clean up any possible intermodulation distortion caused by the odd load they presented throughout their frequency range. I was amazed at the smooth, clean frequency response and high headroom the Carvers had. I've run them for hours at a time at 25-75WPC and never have they shut down or develop any audiable distortion despite getting pretty hot. I do have plenty of air circulation for these amps but if you're housing them in a confined space, add a fan and you shouldn't have any problems. If you're looking for decent, clean power at a cheap price, the TFM-15cb is the way to go.

bcastine   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 07, 2004]
Strength:

I guess the dials on the front

Do not try to power a big load internal protection not up to the task.

The amp worked well powering my smaller speakers, I used it this way for years powering my rear channel speaks. Than one day I wanted to see how well it would do with my Infinity Kappa 8.0's. These speakers are known to require gobs of current due to the woofers dipping below 1 ohm at low freqs. Needless to say the amp went up in a puff of smoke very quickly. The circuit breaker protection does not act fast enough to save the amp. I've powered the kappa's with 2 adcom gfa 545II amps rated at the same 100watts per channel without failure, I've blown hundreds of current limiting fuses but this at least protects the amp.

Similar Products Used: Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-555II, Aragon 8008BB, Acurus A200. Carver tfm-1090
dpl35   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 10, 2003]
Strength:

Smooth, powerful amp at a great price

runs hot

I have had this Carver TRM/15Cb for about 8 years now. It has never failed me, and I am still running the original bulbs. Currently I am using it to run a pair of Paradigm Reference Model 60's which I have just purchased. This amp powers them very smoothly with plenty of power to spare. I have these speakers bi-wired to the Carver and it sounds great. I do agree with the other review that this amp does run hot. I have a small fan behind mine to keep it cool, which is why I think I have never burnt a bulb.

Similar Products Used: Older Carver amp, older Mitsubishi amp
RedBaron   Audio Enthusiast [Aug 02, 2002]
Strength:

Solid, never breaks, cheap and good quality

Cable posts are not made of gold. Carver Co. is bankrupt. Thus, you must find your own support source.

I have 2 TFM-15CB ammps. They are connected to 2 Energy C-6 speakers and a Rotel preamp. I find the amps very warm in the high end and nice direct bass delivry. I have never had any problems with the meters or the ligths as mentioned by other reviewers. They are solid as a rock and they just keep churning out music continuously. The price is quoted in Canadian dollars (same value as monopoly)

Andy   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 22, 2002]
Strength:

Can handle, with ease, being used as a musical intrument amplifier as well as a home stereo amplifier and can be used to power a PA for on stage use.

They tend to be a little fragile to bumps and bangs and the front panel meter lights tend to get knocked out easily.

When purshaed from a former roomate while stationed in Germany as a Us servicemember, I was literally doing backflips for the fact that I owned two of them to drive 4 Cerwin Vega AT100''s. These speakers are power hungry and produce seeming pants flapping bass and a wall of sound that will cause hearing damage. The two Tfm15 cb''s that I use to drive them have never had any problem whatsoever in driving them. With their very low THD and extremely ample headroom, Any style of music sounded great. I have driven them almost to the point of distortion and gained confidence in that they just didn''t stop! The front panel meter lights did not burn out and had survived the shipping from Kitzingen, Germany to Riverside California. Although they did get knocked out somehow during a move to Muncie, IN. Still the amps worked flawlessly in their function. I am a musician (bassist) for the band Flysocket and had one time been without an amp for my bass rig. I recruited the help of one of my TFM15 cb''s to do the job. I supplied the signal to it via an ART SGX Nightbass SE preamplifier. I fed and ran the Amplifier in mono mode and connected it to a 4ohm Hartke 410Tp 4X10 bass cabinet. I was so amazed at how the amp not only sounded, but how it contained more than enough headroom to handle a musical instrument amplifier role. It sounded so clear and puncy that I thought about keeping it for that purpose. But due to the construstion and intended role, I did not want to subject it to the rigors of the road. Recently, I had to part with one of my dear Tfm15cb''s and wanted to know how and where would be the best way to find and buy another one to compliment the one that I already have to have my array going again.