Cambridge Audio P500 Amplifiers

USER REVIEWS

[Jan 10, 2015]
Alan Nonymous
Audio Enthusiast

This review is for the matching C500 and P500 pre-power combo.
I feel compelled to write this review as a word of caution for those considering this combo. I bought these before Xmas for £105 delivered from a popular auction site after reading many positive comments on various sites including this one.

Hooked upto my Tannoy MX2's using a modded Marantz CD75 as source the treble was sweet not at all fatiguing imaging soundstage and instrumental separation were all more than satisfactory at this price point.

BUT - the P500 just doesn't do bass (and believe me the Tannoys are not normally shy here) turned up to almost 11 on the dial I'd sometimes have to check the woofers by touching them to see if they're still working ! I tried all sorts of positioning to "fix" this problem including putting them in the alcoves in the corner of my room - HUGE bass - swamped everything else.

But hey, it ain't "All about da bass", it's also about energy, drive, rhythm and impact, all areas in which the P500 seems to have taken a large dose of valium and settled into its pipe and slippers of an evening I'm afraid.

I'm probably doing this set up and myself an injustice as any prospective buyers for my set (when I invariably sell it on) may indeed read this and be off put by it. So in the interests of fairness and my wallet I will say it's a well made amp built to its price point and is a very relaxing listen for those who favour the acoustic, jazz, light classical and easy listening genres. For anyone under a pensionable age who prefers music produced after the last war however I would suggest you look elsewhere.

[Mar 15, 2009]
MercuryS
Audio Enthusiast

Great! For me it was a first step upgrade for my Sony 6x100w surround receiver. I had the problem with my Sony that it lost its breath when it was pushed hard in action scenes. I then added the P500 for the front speakers and it gave my home cinema system a great lift in quality. the sound is now not so harsh and thin as it used to be and now I don't experience the sudden loss of power.

[Feb 17, 2007]
Håkon H.T.
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

REAL, strong watts
Nice, clean sound, with tight bass.
very easy to use
good wireing therminals
bi-wiring
nice design
good value

may struggle with low frequencies at high volumes

This amplifier really surprised me! I payd 1700 NOK for it at hifiklubben.no, which is a bargain for this amplifier. It is a really good amplifier. It is strong, doesn't color the sound and is extremely user-friendly. It even supports bi-amping, not bad for an amplifier at that price! I use it with my Cerwin Vega VE-8 speakers, and it really brings them to life! Good and tight bass, and clean, crispy treble.

I recommend this amplifier for those who want a good amplifier at a cheap price.

[Mar 20, 2005]
Marcel Severein
AudioPhile

Strength:

Power full setup with Bi-amping. Honest and clear sound.

No bridge option. (asking for option for this at Vogelaar Audio)

Ok. Here I am again. The set is worked in and I have bought another P500. Now I'm BI-Amping the whole setup. I can tell you this: This is awesome. I have Tannoy's DC 2000 from 13 years of age, but the sound is so crispy and clear, that I won't leave my house any more. Bi-amping of this setup is what it's ment to be. The bass and high are totaly seperated and you can hear this. I was happy with one amp but you can feel the power even at low listning level. I live in a flat, and I can't turn it full open. The concreet is shaking. But what I love the most is the honest sound that it's producing. My neighbour has tannoy's P30 with a Technics Sa-AX7 amp, sound nice but the bass comes in to late. I don't know if it's the amp or speakers. Maybe testing it one day with the Cambridge setup.

Technics SA-AX7 with Infinity Reference MKII 81

[Feb 08, 2005]
Marcel Severein
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

-crisp and clear -more detail -Strong and Tight Response -Wide Stereo Image -Can pull little and big speakers

Not found yet

I have a Cambridge C500 preamplifier, that I have hooked up on a Alesis RA500 Power amp. I was happy with the sound. The RA500 gave me nice powerfull sound with my Lovely tannoy DC2000. But I wanted to know what sounds better. A amp with 2x175 watts or a amp that's made voor de C500. With only 55watt RMS. This is what I can tell you. Don't look at the watts, I knew this but I never thought that this little amp does it better in my living room than the Alesis amp. What a awesome sound, nice crispy clear details. Strong and tight response and the stereo image is getting better all the time. I have to get it worked in, but the sound is much better. I think I keep it... I used the Alesis before, because I'm expanding my set up. This is a amp for hard and loud rooms. I'm a DJ and I make a difference in working sound an listening sound. I now have seperated these to facts. If you're searching for a nice quality/price product. This is the one. I never thought that this little amp could push my tannoy's.

[Dec 18, 2003]
Christian Schroff
AudioPhile

Strength:

Excellent sound quality (clairty, richness, dynamic etc.), excellent timing (soundstage), great price!

Slight humming, doesn't really bother.

I was looking for a cheap power amp, because I wanted three of them for my active Linn Kaber speakers. My dealer has very expensive pieces in his store, but he was likely to sell me a good solution. So he showed me the P500. I heard it first with the C500 (control amp, suiting to the P500). To show me the quality of the P500, he changed the control amp and the CD-player with the very expensive ones (Audio Refinement Pre 5, Rega 2000 etc.), but also with cheaper ones (i.e. NAD). The P500 revealed all the differences: With better electronic, the soundstage became perfect, the tonality was as fine as if there were tube amplifiers. The P500 was always an excellent sparing partner to every electronic, otherwise - I think - I wouldn't have realized, how extreme the differences between the good and cheap pre amps were. My dealer said, he sells the P500 also with "big" speakers like KEF Maidstone. The custumers are pleased with that solution (i.e. Tri-Amping). I bought three P500 with the C500, then I changed the C500 with Linn Wakonda. But as the Wakonda (with slimline power supply) soundet like C500, I changed to Linn Kairn (with slimline power supply). Now I am really happy, very happy, no let's say, I am maniac for that smooth sound and that soundstage. My Linn Kabers play the music as if they were a wall full of spekers. The musicians seem to play in the room, but behind the speakers (where there is no room anymore ;-)). Everything sounds neutral. There is no harshness at all, nothing that I miss. But what I have to say: I can hear a slight humming, when everybody in the house is sleeping (except me). The humming comes, when the pre amp (or the activ crossover) is pluged and my ears are near the speaker. My dealer didn't realize the hummung before I came with that problem. It doesn't really bother me.

Similar Products Used:

P500 plays with Linn Kairn, active crossover, Linn Kaber speakers. As source: Marantz DVD player with EAD DSP-1000/III

[Feb 20, 2003]
H T Yap
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Good sound quality at great price.

They look like cheap hi-fi. Bass is not that strong for those hardcore 'Bass' lover.

I bought Cambridge Audio Pre-Amp C500 and Power-Amp P500 at absolute bargain price, just £119.95. I had saving money for so long to buy this set when read about the review... where actually cost £99.95 each for long time hence i try to saving around £300.... But out of sudden when i nothing do just visit Richer sounds site, it sales!!! just £119.95 for both. I quickly called them out and brought them the next day. I also bought Eltax Monitor III speaker... The sound quality really nice even i just use my pc to play CD... Strongly recommend even at the price at each £119.95. Sound really good. Planning to buy a CD player now.

[Mar 23, 2002]
dragon2lake
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great sound - detail, clairty, richness, dynamic, nice tight bass, clear mid and treble, powerful...nice look

no facility for mono bidging..

I bought this with C500 and 2 P500 each for £ 99, and total for all 3 about £ 299 or somthing brand new with 1 yr warranty. Came home opened box, but a bit disappointed, because they looked kinda cheap and light. I plugged them in, and found out you can bi-amp them, but you cannot bridge into mono - another disappointment. When I played some CDs, sound was thin and harsh - I thought these must be dogs, oh well what do you expect for £ 99, but what the hell were those phantom interent rave were about?? But when I played it for about 3 days, the sound changed - it became sweeter and sweeter, louder and louder, and extremely getting detailed. After about week, they sounded so good, I was totally amazed. Well it was a total pleasant surprise, and I am now happy with this system. Extremely good value for money for brand new power pre amp set for £ 300. Shame about inability to mono bridge, but there is no perfect thing under the sun. I either bi-amp or connect another set of speakers. I got pair of old Monitor Audio R252s from Ebay for £ 20, which was another surprise - this speaker sounds a lot better than my £ 300 Tannoy floor standers. Oh fun and games in Hi-Fi....

KENWOOD KA-3020SE, KA_5090R, Cyrus One,

[Feb 26, 2002]
Ollie
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Lots of round bass and no distortion at any volume, build quality and great looks. Amazing value for money; is there any other power amp available for this?

None with the A5 as far as I can tell

Well I''m using this with a Cambridge Audio A5 integrated amp. I listened to the combination in the shop and found that the A5 gave a much sharper treble than the P500 and C500; the frequencies are so much more distinct. The P500 gives plenty of bass (I''m running mine through a pair of Eltax Liberty 5s) and they''re far louder than their power rating might suggest, and running it with the A5 gives you greater flexibility than with the C500. But anyway, the P500 is a solid power amp with a sound that belies its price tag...you won''t be disappointed

[Feb 22, 2001]
Curt
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Sound, bi wire terminals

None so far

Great sounding amp. sounds much more powerful than the rated power. Clean and warm sound. I'm using it with the matching c500 pre amp and d500 cd player with a pair of Linn Kelidh's. I bought the P500 amp and C500 control amp on sale as a package at Spidergear's website for $445.00. I have not heard anything in this price range that comes close.

Similar Products Used:

Rotel,Nakamichi, Yamaha, Sony etc.