B&K Components ST-202 Amplifiers

140 wpc stereo amplifier

USER REVIEWS

[Jul 08, 2018]
Jccc

Strength:

One of the best power amplifier alike Marantz sm6. Sound power rich and tight. Got this spare amp from my uncle, B&K ST202 power amazing like a Class A hight Watts amp. It runs hot great power that surprised me. I feel the vintage gear ls really good compare to many new technologies audio these days. That kind of thickness heavy sound that can't find these days except from those vintage electronics. B&k st202 truly power lwithout harsh from low to very high volume.

None of weakness excellent built power amp

Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2015
[May 15, 2012]
pwsound
Audio Enthusiast

ST 202 POWER AMPLIFIER , ITS NEUTRAL, SMOOTH , ONE OF MY TREASURE . THE LAST ONE . IT WAS WITHOUT THE TAP OF FUSE BOX & FUSE . I BOUGHT FOR 200 US . COUPLE DAYS CLEANING IT ,LOOKING FOR THE FUSES VALUES . VERY HARD TO FIND MANUALS OR SPCS IN THE NET . IHAVE TO IMAIL B&K . MR JOHN BALOFF, SEND THE ANSWER VERY FAST. THEN ITAKE OUT TH EFUSE TAP OF MY MARANTZ 3800 AND THE HAFLER 230 FITS WELL . PLUG IN SUPERPHON BASIC PREAMP . NO IMPRESSIVE SOUND COMES OUT . NEXT AUDITION AFTER LET BOTH ON IN THE DAY . IT CHANGE COMPLETELY SURPRISE EXCELENT REALLY THE SOUND ITS BETWEEN THE SOLID STATE AND THE TUBES WARN RELAXING SOUND . FANTASTIC AMPLIFIER . ACURUS A250,MC 2200,MC 2125 ,BK PRO 600 , MARANTZ 250 PIONEER SPCS 4 ,COUNTERPOINT SA1000, ACURUS RL10 PSAUDIO 4.5 , DYNACO MARKS II , COUNTRPOINT SA 100 . BW DM7 , POLK SDA II , KLISPCH FORTE II ETC .............

[Feb 01, 2009]
tkyc
AudioPhile

I am writing a review for a B&K 202+ that I purchase on Audiogon 2 weeks ago for $375. I thought I would give a more updated review of the product should any one be in the market in 2009. At first, I was not impressed with the sound relative to my Adcom 555 and 5500. Something just was not right even using a PS Audio Punch power cord. After days and days of fiddling, I found by accident that on of my receptacles on my power supply was compromised. Trying again, I was blown away by the sound. Treble was now sweet and smoother than with my Adcoms. Mids were excellent with great detail and imaging. Bass was also quite good, however, I was bi-amping with my GFA-5500 handling my subs. This is one great amp but you must use a good power cable with it. Using a stock-like cable (the original cable was not supplied) the sound stage was lacking in depth and vocals were more forward and a little bloated. THe Adcoms are very good, as well, but I would have to say in the end the B&K won out. Take a chance if you can find one.

[Jul 06, 2007]
K-Bob
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

full, open, satisfying sound with good bass, 225w dynamic power, huge caps, sounds the same at all volumes, excellent match to Canadian bookshelf speakers

smallish binding posts, turnoff click and pop (mild), mains and rca jacks on opposite sides as most other gear, stays pretty warm at idle

B&K ST-2020

Been wanting an amp such as this for a long time and did serious shopping and research for 9 months prior to purchase. Note, however, that almost all of this was online and/or archival reviews of vintage products. As well as relying on my auditory memory.

Seriously considered Rotel RB-980BX or similar, Yamaha M-60 or similar, Acurus A150, Sumo Polaris among others. As it turns out this amp is a very good match for my system, in fact, I cannot imagine any of the other amps I was considering (except maybe the Rotel) to sound as good in my system.

It has exactly the sort of interior layout that I wanted: power supply in middle and separate amp boards along each side. And those caps are HUGE; they look like oil filters! When I plugged it into a regular wall outlet for initial testing the lights dimmed when I turned it on. As installed, it is plugged directly into the hospital grade outlet on the audio system's dedicated 20A 10ga circuit using a PS Audio Plasma power cord.

It is quiet, powerful, smooth, satisfying, full, open, and has good soundstaging. The most impressive thing is that it sounds the same at all volume levels: background, normal, cranked--it always sounds the same. Also it is very quiet, there is no hiss or hum even with the volume pegged.

Notice I'm NOT saying it is "warm" or "tube like" or whatever. All I know is it mates very well with my Canadian bookshelf speakers. It has a full sound with plenty of bass authority and never gets shrill.

Of course there are a few cons, but none of these (even all together) are dealbreakers, even if I had known about them ahead of time. It has rather small binding posts that only accept like 16ga wire, which forced me to buy a set of banana plugs in order to hook it up. It gets pretty warm at idle. There is a turnoff click and pop through the speakers, although this is mild. The mains and rca jacks are on opposite sides compared to every other peice of gear I own, requiring cord rerouting around the amp. The power specs for all the older B&K amps are given in DIN instead of FTC RMS, which means that this 150w amp is really more like a 135w. But the 225w dynamic power still stands!

Overall I am extremely happy I bought it.

Associated equipment:
NAD C542 CD player
Rotel RC-970BX preamp
Energy Conissour C-2 speakers on matching sand filled Target stands
Wire: WireWorld Orbit III+, pre to power; XLO/VDO ER-5, CD to pre; Monster Standard 4-16 doubled for 10ga effective total

I checked with B&K and the 2020 has the newer style output devices so if it blows a full retrofit is not required.

Selected Specs:
8 ohm power = 150w DIN
8 ohm power = estimated 135w RMS
dynamic headroom = 1.5 dB
8 ohm dynamic power = estimated 225w (or 200w if being super conservative)
current = 36 amps peak to peak

Harmon Kardon 70w, Marantz 60w

[Mar 06, 2006]
rbsnoddy
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Good power, no maintenance issues.

Speaker connections are a little to low for use in my rack. Connections should propbably be a little higher to allow proper connections when amp is utilized in a rack set-up.

I've owned my B&K ST-202 amp since the early 1990's. I am very satisfied with the performance of tha amp. I presently have the B&K PRO-10 MC as my pre-amp. The amp sounds very smooth and provides adequate power/performance.

Pioneer SX-780 receiver

[Nov 20, 2004]
74cuda
AudioPhile

Strength:

Dynamics,nuanced,good reliable build and just flat out a great sounding amp and did I say Dynamic?

The only possible weakness is no trigger but you can't rewrite history.For this sound at this price I prefer to walk.

Well what can I say?I bought this amp on a whim and a prayer.I searched for all the info I could get on it,here and elsewhere.I needed a "decent"2ch amp with a little power.This sleeper has exceeded my expectations with headroom to spare.I only hoped I could live with it in a second set up for a while but I can tell you its no 2nd rate amp.I own Rotel and Parasound and prefer this amps sound over either one.The dynamics are outstanding,I love to crank up my music but with this amp I get the same great dynamics at all volumes.Its hard to describe but its one of the few amps I've ever had that sounds so loud even at low volumes. This amp has convinced me that new tech and more money(both of which my other amps have) does not = better sound.The inside of this thing is beautiful in its simplicity,a couple oil filters and power supply and cables but what a glorious sound.I had a 125.2 and it did NOT sound like the 202,it did have a trigger but for this sound I can walk 15ft. If you find one I don't see how you can find better for the money.

Similar Products Used:

Rotel,Adcom,Parasound,HK,Marantz other BK's and many more.

[Feb 02, 2004]
dancarne
AudioPhile

Strength:

Fairly transparent, very musical.

It's not that big a deal, but it's a large amp.

This review is for the ST-202+, which is a 200 wpc stereo amplifier. Overall the amplifier was a step up for me. I replaced my GFA-535 60 wpc high current amplifier amp. The sound is much less strident, more tubelike. Where I really, really noticed it was on light transients, such as when someone taps a tom tom lightly. I did have a problem with the amp where one channel would cut out when the ambient temperature was hot. I repaired that for a $120, so the overall price was still very good. It's a good deal if you can find one. I can say that even though the amp is rated at 200 watts, and it tested out at 200 watts, I have still gotten it to clip before I expected. It must be me.

[Mar 11, 2003]
Granger
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Silky upper frequencies and good bass extension.

Not sure this is anything.

I'll just echo what others have said here. I've used this amp for over 10 years and it has never failed me. I've tried many other amps and this just has more of everything even compared with amps several times its price. Very tube like, open, and natural. I find the silky topend to be the standout feature of the amp. If I ever find another one I'm going to buy it. I've driven Infinity RS, B&W 640, NHT subzero/sub ala Sam Tellig, and currently Vandersteen 2CE's. They're great with the Vandie's showing great bass extension and the best depth I've heard yet.

[Nov 19, 2002]
Carl
Audio Enthusiast

I bought a modified model off of audiogon to replace my old adcom, in an all rotel system, this is an awsome amp very neutral and powerful. I currently have old infinity speakers s i cnt fford to buy better ones to be trashed in my dorm but i cnt wait to hook this up to a better and make use of its full potential.

[May 17, 2002]
Abex
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great Clarity,detail and sounstage capability mated with almost any type of speaker!

Just a shy tade light in the Bass!

I bought this Amp used through Audio Advisor around 1990 and then sent it to Sounds Unlimited to have it Modified.The Modification was worth every Penny.The detail''''s and widith of the SOundstage was outstanding!Mated with a Rotel RC-960 Pre-Amp was better than being mated with an affordable NAD! It has been said that the AMp sounds more Tube or Krell like. I use it for driving either a set of Magnepan 1.4''''s or PSB 40 MKII''''s(will be replaced by Axiom M60''''s soon). Had listened to a number of Amps prior to getting this one.Adcom''''s 555 which was in the same league I found real Dark sounding ,but great in the base.Counterpoints,Krell and Bryston-All great Amps ,but not affordable! Now the only problem I have left is finding a used 3 Channel Amp and a Surround Sound Pre-Amp that allows me to keep using this Amp for the MainFront Speakers. If you can find a used ST-202 buy it and have it Modified.You will not regret it!

HK Citation,SAE-Sony,Kenwood,Pioneer JUNK!