B&K Components EX-4420 Amplifiers

EX-4420

Stereo version of the EX 4420M monoblock amplifier

RO106666   AudioPhile [Nov 12, 2008]
Strength:

Tube Like Sound
Soundstage
Nuetral Sound
Power
Price

None Noted

First of all the amp I am reviewing was upgraded by Solar Winds Audio (strongly recommend!!!). I have always owned Classe Amps and consider this a VERY nice amp for the price. Soundstage is good , has tube like sound and is very warm and powerfull. I am using it with my Magnepan1.6 speakers,ARC LS2B MKII pre-amp and C.A.L. Icon II CD and CAL Alpha 24/96 DAC. It drives my Maggies with very little effort . Strongly Recommend it and Solar Winds Audio!!!

Customer Service

Solar Winds Audio is one of the best I have ever delt with and would STRONGLY RECOMMEND!!
Amp has worked pefectly!

Similar Products Used: Hafler 500
Aragon8008
Classe 300
Classe 301
Classe Omega
B*rad   AudioPhile [Apr 13, 2007]
Strength:

Built like a tank!! Torid power supply coupled with computer grade capacitors makes all the difference in the world. COLORLESS sound!!!!

None really

Well worth the price I paid. Makes my Martin Logans sing!!! This amp has a very warm sound and listener fatigue is a thing of the past. A smile comes to my face everytime I play music. Soundstage Soundstage Soundstage!!! I have worked at Ovation a/v high end audio and sampled every thing Krell has to offer and at that price it seems that the B&K Ref line of equipment is a STEAL!!!

System

Aragon
Denon
Adcom
Franchise36   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 05, 2003]
Strength:

Solid bass extension, build quality, cool running.

none

This amp is just perfect for driving my B&W CDM 1 NT speakers to both room shaking but clear levels. For the pricee that I paid I am VERY satisfied.

Similar Products Used: Carver, Bryston, Pioneer Elite, Yamaha
Darren   Audiophile [Jul 23, 2000]
Strength:

Warm feel, powerful and handsome(in a ugly kind of way)

Can run a little warm but not as hot as I've felt from other amps

Nice amp. What else can I say but you can buy a lot worst and spend a lot more for better. It's the girl next door that you never would have thought could do the things that she does. My best friend in the world(next to my wife)and has never let me down. Warm disposition with a smooth high end. Neutral mid range which allows longer listening sessions. Considering buying a mono version of this amp for the center channel and the B&K ST-1400 for the rears when I decide to go home theater.

Acurus RL-11
B&K EX4420 2-channel amp
Denon 1650AR CD player
Sony MDS-JB930 CD player
MSB Gold link DAC
Paradigm REf. 100'sv2.
DH-Labs Speaker and interconnects

chess   [Mar 11, 1999]

I side by side review of the HPA2 VS the B&K 4420. The source was a wadia Deck sorry I did not get the model, diven over a pair of aerial model 8's.Well the proceed HPA 2 was pure butter at all volume levels detailed, transparent and an overall joy to listen to, but it should be for 3,700.00. The dealer and I just tried the B&K as kind of a joke to really see how bad it was, to both of our suprise the 4420 performed very well at low to medium volume levels vs. the proceed, there were almost no distinguishable differences. for half the price I would have to put my money on the B&K. that's not saying the proceed was bad because it was not. Everything the proceed did, it did perfect from build quality to sound.... Just everything outside of price 5 stars price no object 4 stars with price Vs. the B&K

Doug   Audiophile [Nov 25, 2001]

This amplifier is the best all-around amp I've ever owned. It's driving my "vintage" Thiel CS3.0's, which were voiced back in analog days and ruthlessly reveal any glare or or garbage from the electronics. The bass is very solid (maybe tending toward warmth a bit), it can drive demanding speaker loads to very high levels with no strain and is basically totally free of coloration. If you read between the lies in the great bulk of the reviews of electronics at this website, you find people endlessly nattering over which crappy little form of exaggerated frequency response sounds most breathtaking. Get over it! If you want an actual amplifier that plays music with no sound of it's own, never runs out of steam in loud complex or demanding passages and doesn't demand you maortgage ypur house, this is it. It CLEARLY of holds it's own against units costing 5X it's price.

Vincent   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 08, 2001]
Strength:

strong control over a difficult load, price, eveness, ease of base definition, clear open treble

none

This is just what I needed in my price range. I always wanted an Apogee full ribbon speaker, and when I saw a bargain, I bought one. Now, how to power the notorious amp eater. After reading B&K 4420 specs, and seeing the reviews here, I decided it might be a good match.

Reviewers claim it sounds tube like, well I wouldn't know, but it sure sounds a lot better than the Denon did, and Apogees are suppose to be a good match with tube amps so maybe they do sound tube like. One thing is for sure, this amp has no problem controlling the three ohm Apogee.

Listening to the quartet Kronos wailing with all instruments at full tilt takes a lot of amp power plus finesse and the B&K sailed through it effortlessly, where the Denon gasped in hopeless disaray. This is a great bargain amp. If it had any sonic flaws, the Apogee would have waved a red flag, as the Apogee can tell no lie. You'de have to pay a lot more for any noticeable improvement over the B&K 4420, and I'd like to know what that improvement might be.

Similar Products Used: Denon 100 watt integrated
Sonny Tuazon   an Audio Enthusiast [Mar 14, 1999]

I have used this amp in the past for my B&W 803 Series II until I upgraded to the EX 4420M monoblocks. This amp sounded clean, transparent,lots of air and very tube like. The sounstage though not as deep and wide as the mono's seems to outclass any brand in its price category. Presently I'am using the EX4420 stereo amp for my dual center speakers B&W HTM (one on top of my Toshiba D80F90 rear projection TV and the other right below the screen). The dialogue seems crispier, clearer and more focused. It has enough power to render to difficult passages. I think that using B&K amps, well you cannot go wrong. I'am just waiting for my monoblocks to be delivered because they're being serviced for bias check-up. Then I will tell more about the EX4420. For the value to performance rating I give a 5 star.

Sonny Tuazon   [May 16, 1999]

This amp is very tube-like, transparent as well and holds tight on the lows. I used to have it drive My B&W 803 Series II Speakers and was doing very well until I got a pair of the monoblock version.

I couldn't ask for more from this amp. I even had a side by side comparison with Adcom 5800 and Acurus A200 and found that the B&K sounded more airy, more detailed and wider and deeper sound stage and best of all less harsh. It's really tube-like, perhaps it carries the B&K signature sound all the time.

Now my EX4420 drives a pair of B&W HTM center speakers (one on top of my Projection TV and the other below it). It satisfied everybody who have heard it and I think it will stay with me for a long time.

Chess   an Audiophile [Apr 17, 1999]

Awesome piece, would recommend Vs. any other amp,"in 2-3K price range" see my review of the Proceed AMP2. I bought the B&K.