B&K Components AV2500 Series II Power Amplifier Amplifiers

B&K Components AV2500 Series II Power Amplifier Amplifiers

DESCRIPTION

The AV2500 series II is one compact solution to your home theater amplifier needs. Providing a solid 60 watts per channel, you can drive most speaker systems to a level that will fill your room with sound. Extremely versatile, each channel can be configured for left, right or mono output. It can also be set up for parallel channel operation where high current is needed or bridged operation where high voltage is needed.

USER REVIEWS

[May 16, 2018]
Chrispy

Strength:

I have the original one I believe since it just says av2500 on the front. This is an amazing amplifier. I have the BK 200.2 which I love and drive a pair of apogees. I was looking for something to power my KEF bookshelf speakers in my wife office / guest room and found this at an impassable price (free from a friend that was upgrading). I was using a nice Yamaha integrated amplifier that sounded a bit unrefined. After getting the bk 200.2 I have been spoiled with hifi and can no longer enjoy substandard amplification. I can't believe how much this amp makes in the quality of the sound. I have it hooked up to a shiit DAC that has a Mac mini hooked up to it. I have R and L splitters from the DAC into 1-4 (2 for L 2 for R) speaker inputs and have the KEF bi-amped with 2 channels going to each speaker for a total of 120 watts per side and have the (extra) 5 th speaker to a passive NHT subwoofer who's amp has blown long ago. I use a RCA 100 and below filter and a 100hz cut off for the other full range. luckily the amp has a rca´s out that I connect to the 5 th input with the 100hz RCA filter. it sounds great and the ability to control the volume on each input allows me to tune the bass just right with the other speakers. I only use it for a simple stereo setup and LOVE the musicality of this amp. If I was to incorporate this into my HT I would most likely use 4 channels for my towers in bi-amp mode and the 5th to my center speaker and allow something like a inexpensive Sony, Yamaha, Marantz, ect.. as the preamp and power the surrounds which need much less power.

depending on what type of speakers you have and the size of room the 60 rated watts might not be enough for you. For most it should be enough but if you are running large towers that are low impedance this is not the amp for you. Its mostly meant for home theater type speakers that have nominal impedance (8ohm) if you want to use this for music the best thing to do is to ditch the 5th input and do what I did with biamping your speakers with 2 channels each to get a total of 120 watts to the high and low end. Its really tightens the bass up and makes your speakers play music effortlessly.

Purchased:
Used
[Apr 16, 2008]
analogman
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

does exactly what is supposed to do
Small size
plenty of clean power
configurable -- want to use to drive two rooms in stereo and an patio speaking in mono, can be done, want to bridge can be done (see below)

American made audio

not the answer to low impedance speaker or difficult loads. can be bridged BUT bkcomp.com recommends against bridging any products.

Bought this off ebay a couple years ago, haven't had any problems so far. I am using by HK receiver as a front end and to power remote speakers. The B&K drive the main fronts and surounds. this is the little amp that could! it drives the full range custom built L&R without a hitch. midrange is sweet and clear, bass may not be the final word in tight; it is close. but then again I built the speaker and won't ever blame them for sloppy bass.

This amp keeps up with whatever I throw at it 2 channel analog, five channel movies and in a large (28*19*12) room to beat. have a common midfi reveiver with preouts and not enough juice -- this is a great way to step up: compact, powerful and clean sound.

Made in USA

Customer Service

haven't had the need

[Jan 27, 2002]
Christopher Jacobi
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Versitle, If this is 60w a channel then all receiver mfg.'s are big fat liars!

Pretty much an 8 ohm speaker amp

I bought this amp because I was disappointed in the sound quality of Sherwood Newcastle R-925, especially the center channel. I am using the B&K for the three front channels and slaving the rears to the receiver. I'm not bridging it, unless you have high impedance speakers (ie: 16) I don't see the point. There is no free lunch, why double your THD spec?

The B&K is a stout little thing. It has gain controls for all five channels, which I think is great. To bridge the unit you have to open the cover and flip a bunch of DIP type switches-a real short comming IMO versus the Rotel. Also, to use this unit as a mono amp(I don't know why you would do this unless you really didn't think out your needs when you bought it) you have to bridge speaker outputs with speaker wire on the back of the unit.

My Take:
Music: (stereo) the first thing I noticed was how tighter the imaging was- hadn't expected that. The second was the dynamics; the third was the midrange. I'm running Paradigm Atoms (with a pair of PDR-10 subs). I bought them because the midrange was so nice (led to them by numerous reviews and audiozine picks), at least in the store. With the Newcastle they always seemed to be a little flat. The B&K allows them to perform to my expectations.

Surround: (DD 5.1) Finally I'm getting the experience I was looking for three and half years ago when I bought the Newcastle. DYNAMICS. There is no way that the Newcastle puts out ANYWHERE near the wattage and current of the B&K. If the Newcastle is 100w x 5 then the B&K must be 200 not 60/wch. The Mosfet design didn't seem to have any problems with demanding passages. I'll never own a bipolar amp again-no comparison in the sound quality IMO.

My midfi set-up, all bought used or highly discounted ("I won't pay a lot for that...." we are damn cheap in WI.

Sony DVP7000
Sherwood Newcastle R-925
B&K 2500 II
Paradigm Atom's x 4
Paradigm 150 center
Paradigm PDR-10 subs x 2
Sony Wega 32"
Homemade DIY "Piano 1" interconnects (see www.TNT-Audio.com for recipe)
Marshall Sound Runner speaker wire