Audiomat Prelude Amplifiers

USER REVIEWS

[Mar 21, 2003]
gilluc
AudioPhile

Strength:

unforgetable

heavy and warm...

I and my nephew were looking for any amplifier for his couple of b&w 804 loudspeakers... We tested naim, vecteur, vincent, ... The prelude is like a new birth, no other amplifier is able to give you this sound at this price... Yeah, naim is great but very pricey! The b&w 804 and prelude are beautyful...

Similar Products Used:

vecteur, vincent, naim, ...

[Jul 03, 2001]
Richard Ward
Audiophile

Strength:

smooth and accurate, strong tight bass for a tube amp, remote

none

I have the Prelude reference model that includes aremote and maybe newer parts than the original Prelude.

This amp provided an immediate improvement in overall listening pleasure from my previous antique sound lab amp model aq1003dt which also uses el34 tubes. Has the smooth lifelike midrange of other tube amps but also has extended highs and deep tight bass of transister amps. However, unlike the solid state amps that people claim to be "tube like" , I can listen to this Audiomat amp for hours without any listener fatigue. I highly recommend this amp.

I do think that the concerns the disgruntled owner below mentions are somewhat valid as I believe there are only five dealers in the U.S.A. and resale could be a problem. However, if you build a great product, and this is a great product, word will spread , and it is already. See the Listener review a couple of months ago of the less expensive but similar arpege model, no remote and less expensive box, etc. They loved it. 5 stars for sure.

my equipment includes:
Meadowlark Hotrod speakers
Cambrige Audio cd5 (interim player until sacd, etc. works itself out).
various cables from the name brands.

Similar Products Used:

various other tube and standard integrated amps

[Dec 28, 1999]
Howard Alexander
Audiophile

I have owned my Prelude for over 2 years, and it is by far the most musical piece of equipment I have ever heard. I knew immediately upon hearing this amplifier that I was listening to something very, very special. The Prelude can extract the minute details of any genre of music, and coupled with its wide, deep soundstage, makes for an incredible listening experience. This amp can really rock! It's versatility enables it to handle everything from jazz to rock to classical music (and everything in between) smoothly and effortlessly. The build quality of the Prelude is excellent, but beware: it is very heavy (solid support required), and generates a large amount of heat. You MUST audition this amplifier to appreciate its qualities, and I highly recommend it.

[May 27, 2000]
AudioHappy
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

all the power and bass of a 150 watt solid state with the richness and delicacy of a tube amp

big and bulky

Sound is fuller with MORE accurate bass production than the Krell 300i. Voices and acoustics rendered beautifully, smooth highs, very engaging. Not bright at all. I'm amazed by the power and accuracy of the bass however. This is a rare tube amp that can "rock" with the best solid states out there. Ultimate resolution may not be to the heights of the best SS, but the sound it creates is undeniably music to listen to hours on end, classical, jazz, blues, rock, pop, techno, etc.

Similar Products Used:

first tube integrated i've listened to; other integrated amps: krell 300i, plinius 8150i

[Oct 04, 2000]
Francis
Audiophile

Strength:

Nice build quality, honest sound.

Close to ZERO reale value...underserved but nevertheless a reality.

I have owned my Audiomat for 2 years now, and switched to the Sim. I put the Prelude for sale for a full year on various audio sites, with no success (audiocentre.com, canuckaudiomart, Audiogon). As far as the amp goes, it's a good performer with nice midrange and highs...but sory folks, as far as power and low end, even the thin sounding Krell 300i walks all over it. The previous reviewer must be a dealer? Why the low resale value? In my humble opinion, Audiomat's independant and slightly arrogant distributor, with his "full retail price philosophy at all times" (wake up this is america!)has managed to build a confidential network of dealers at best. I live in Montreal, which should be Audiomat's kingdom for any French manufactured audio good. BUT THERE IS NO DEALER HERE, EVEN THOUGH THE NORTH AMERICAN DISTRIBUTOR RESIDES HERE! So here we have it. If the Prelude or any other Audiomat product sound good to you (and they are good machines)AND you intend to keep the unit for a long, long time, it's a good buy. In any other case, it's just another good sounding product with zero notoriety and zero resale value that will frighten people away looking for a better investment. 3 stars for overall qualities, 1 star for value. As good as it is, I just cannot recommend this unit. There are better ones out there for less money, and you can still dream about upgrading one day and not lose your shirt for it.
Mine is still for sale by the way....

Sim Audio I-5

[Nov 12, 2000]
backer jean-claude
Audiophile

Strength:

neutre,musicale,puissant

encombrant

je suis tres satisfait de cet ampli il est capable d'alimenter beaucoup d'enceintes.Il est tres ouvert avec un grave profond et ferme,un beau medium et un aigu parfais

aucun