Audiolab 8000A Amplifiers

USER REVIEWS

[Nov 06, 2007]
Colin
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Sounds more powerfull than 60W PC
Fantastic detail, certainly compared to new budget amps I've heard up to about £250.I know this wasnt a cheap amp in its time just pointing out the bargain it is 2nd hand if you are prepared to take the risk of no warranty.

Ermmm.. none.. certainly at the prices they go for on ebay £85-150

I know she is old but what an amazing amp for the price I paid on ebay.. £85 ! I previously had a NAD C350 but have been revisting my old CD's with much glee :) I've partnered it with other cheap old faithfull's off ebay, Tannoy Revolution R2's £80 and a Marantz CD6000 OSE LE though I also use a Philips CD-850 MK11 which seems better for certain cd's I guess the Cd6000 combined with the 8000A is a bit bright sounding with some tracks and the laid back CD-850 chills things out a bit !

NAD C350

[Aug 02, 2007]
Jacob Majba
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Extraordinary clarity. Cohesion of sound. Depth of soundfield. General openness.
Vocals to die for.

Will relegate all your poor recordings.

What a stunning amplifier, seriously.
My Father had owned an 8000A MK1 for 15 years and my family had never stopped praising it until finally I got my hands on one of the later 60wpc versions through ebay. A great day had come at last!
Have no qualms - this is one of the most enjoyable amplifiers that you just may have the privilege of listening to.

Similar Products Used:

Matched with NHT Super One speakers - surprisingly nice combination.
Rotel 930AX cd player (cheap though good).
QED Silver Anniversary cables (how shiny the cymbals become).

[Sep 07, 2005]
SS Wong
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Detail, analytical, neutral, dynamic, good sound stage and space and solid built up. Worthful as a 2nd amp.

slightly lack of bass & punchy, bass not deep enough, poor quality of the connector/plug, need to turn >9'o clock in order to reveal the sound

I had bought the 2nd hand Audiolab 8000A at RM 1200 (~USD 340) in Malaysia about 2 months ago. The version I bought is without the video input connector (s/n 891042, sould be product ~1995?) (there is a newer version with video input, s/n have a “b” in the middle). I do agree with most reviews saying that it is detail, analytical, neutral, dynamic, good sound stage and space, sound quality very depend on the sound and the system matching including the cables & interconnect. The bass is tight but slightly lack of the quantity and the punch is not deep enough (it may not fulfill the needs of the bass lover). It is more reveal while volume > 9 o’ clock. Besides, I found it is quite sensitive to the power supply, a good power cord can give obvious improvement on its sound qualilty, the uses of the CD mat also will improve/stand out the sound stage and give more clean and dynamic sound quality. 8000A can be very musical depending on the matching of the system including cables and so on. Currently, i’m quite satisfy with its performance on the song/music I listen to (instrument, new age, classical, drums & vocal). Will give 4.75 star for overall rating if there is. As a 2nd hand amp, it is really worthful. My current system is: Pioneer DVD player (going to upgrade) Audiolab 8000A AE AEGIS 1 speaker QED QUNEX2 interconnect & QED QUDOS/ORIGINAL speaker cable ? Previousely is using Monster XP speaker cable n a germany made interconnect – where the system is too bright and lack of bass (improved after using QED) System had been tested on the 8000A: A) NAD C521BEE CD player Monitor Audio Bronze 3 speaker Chord cobra 2 interconect & Transparent 14.4hp speaker cable (bi-wire) B) Shanling T-80 (tube) CD player AE 1 speaker Audio quest interconnec (The Shanling CD player is a nice piece, good detail and solid build up, excellent connectorfor interconnect) By the way, is there anybody can share with me the performance on this 8000A with a power amp, if any of you had use the power amp other than 8000P? e.g: Exposure 2010, Quad 606 or 909 and etc. My email is : sswong@healthtronics.com.my

Rotel RA 970BX (Warm but less detail compare to 800OA), Kendwood 3020

[Apr 30, 2003]
b318isp
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Build, design, inputs, MM/MC stages, tone controls, ability to add power amp. Bass performance. Honest sound.

Unsatisfactorily mounted phono sockets on rear. No r/c for volume. Too honest for some recordings. Non linear frequency response (treble roll off) at low volumes.

Having owned the Audiolab 8000A series III for a number of years I can give, I hope, a reasonably accurate account of it. I bought it at the time for its accuracy - being partnered with a mildly warm Philips CD850 and mildly forward Tannoy 613's. In reality, it is mildly coloured. Mid range is slightly forward and hi treble is rolled back. The latter can be adjusted with tone controls. The extra mid range presence gives great atmosphere on good recordings but a metallic harshness on poor. This is more to do with the accuracy of the amp but I do think it is sensitive to the quality of the source. One issue I have is that the frequency response is very flat once the volume knob is >8 o'clock - but below this the treble rolls off considerably (up to 7dB). My speakers are 6Ohm nominally so are an easy load for the amp. Unfortunately, most of my listening is done at night and the volume usually is kept between 7 and 8 o'clock. Adding a bit of treble restores things but if you don't get it right then recording can seem either flat or bright. Furthermore, with different recordings, the volume may need to be adjusted slightly - meaning the treble needs adjusting too. There is no remote for volume or treble! The tone controls are excellent though - just shaping the frequency curves at 20Hz and 20kHz. The pypass works too - unfortunately often I can't use it :(. I can't criticise the bass though. It is certainly got all the tightness and oomph I need - and the room and speakers become more contributory in this matter anyway. The only fault I have had is when one of the gold contacts came off the CD input socket due to the removal of a very tight interconnect. The ground side is not very well attached to the PCB socket inside and is fragile too. Overall, the Audiolab is a fine amp. Parter it carefully, preferably with 8Ohm speakers and enjoy a very accurate (to the point of being a weakness!), solid, versatile amplifier for years to come.

[Jul 24, 2002]
raymz
Casual Listener

Strength:

solid & natural sound.

not suit with rock music. volume knob & cd input start to have distort sound.

i like it very well, but anyone can help me to get or email me the copy of it's owner's manual. coz i bought it secondhand without it. now my cd input have distort sound, anyone know what is the problem?

yamaha receiver, kenwood amp

[Mar 27, 2002]
chris clarke
AudioPhile

Strength:

very clean neutral sound, tone control, alot cheaper to buy now second hand, better to have than similiar priced new products

variable left/right channel output, weak rear terminals also sited to close together

the audiolab 8000a is a strong contender for a classic amp classic fine lines and a neutral base would suit any one who wants to match a dull/bright cd player to a bright/dull pair of speakers

[Feb 24, 2002]
Peter
AudioPhile

Strength:

phono, neutrality

I have this amp for seven years now and could agree with almost everything previous reviews are saying, even bad ones,. I do agree with bad ones because I know how this Audiolab can sound with bad equipment and I know how it sounds with good one. People say sh*t in sh*t out, this amplifier is a pretty neutral unit which transmits the source signal without adding to much flavour of its own. We should remember that even at the end of its production run it was I believe just under 1000$ and a lot of people trying to compare it with today''s amplifiers costing three times that . It just underlines what a bargain this amplifier was or even is, if you can buy it second hand. Created in the vinyl era, probably the best feature of this amp is it’s phono stage, MM/MC selectable, here again you would probably have to spend more than 1000$ for a separate phono stage to have the same quality of the sound. With the prices in today''s audio market being completely wild, I think with the sound this unit can produce, it’s phono stage and quality construction if someone is to make it again it would cost at arround 2000$ or even more retail. I still have this amplifier in my second system and I’m amazed every time I listen to it at how little I loose in sound quality while listening to it in comparison to my main system costing many times more. You will have to search very hard to find something as good as this amplifier at the price when it was new, and you will NEVER find anything even close to this unit at the price they are sold preowned especially if you would like to have a Vinyl playback of some sort.

Densen, Classe

[Aug 05, 2000]
marty
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Clean, neutral, good looks, drives easily and the extensive rear panel input facilities.

well, it's not "warm".

Really, this amp just keeps surprising me. I feel as though I can keep this thing forever (well...), mainly because I think an upgrade would lead me into $$$$ territory. I bought this amp for $500cdn dollars and it kicks! I listen to alot of digitally recorded stuff mostly Drum&Bass and Trip-Hop type of stuff, I like the feeling of "ambiance" in a recording- that something special.
I'm using it with;

Micromega Basic dual 16-bit D/A
MIT T2
Audiolab 8000A
Audioquest some crappy burgundy ones (type 2?)
B&W DM603's on granite slabs
Mirage PS-12-90 subwoofer w/monster look-alike directional Radio Shack cables

Smooth, un-obtrusive type of sound, no doubt due to the cd, but it works. Detail is just peeking out, like everything is there, but the sense of "space" and 3-d is JUST lacking, probably 'cause of the speaker cables. There are reviewers who say the amp is this or that but I tend to side with those who say it is neutral. The good thing about that is that you can partner it with a REAL good source. The sub only really takes over at 50hz; its minimum setting, the Audiolab goes down pretty low, trust me, and this is all clean power! This system really comes to life when I move the volume to 10 'o clock. Something I hadn't really done 'till today! Holy sh_t! All I can say is that you really hear the source, albeit the 'mega is holding up fabulously! You can hear phase shifts (sounds that come from "space"), the cymbals are not frying your eardrums off, they're almost natural, and the bass is pretty solid, a touch wooly (sub), but still punchy. The mid is the best part of the kit; it really approaches "natural", for my ears. there is plenty of detail and sounds don't seem to bleed into another very much. The amp NEVER sounds congested. It just throws the music out of your speakers like it's nobody's business. It's got great separation and controls my speakers very well (603's are notoriously power-hungry), compared to my trusty ol' class C NAD.
I would recommend this amp to anyone because the build is fantastic and you wouldn't want to upgrade too soon, lemme tell ya! So pick one up second-hand, this thing is SOLID! You can upgrade all your other components up to hi-fi territory before you gotta change this baby, so sit back and relax, let the tank into battle... it's a winner!
Would like to take the Cadas Power Cord route, as well as some 8TC... but damn, gotta save save save. Would also love to try a Rotel 971, 991 or Arcam 8se. Seriously this amp is tha bomb, it will serve anyone well, just do your homework and give it a good match, something with solid defined bass, as the 'lab is missing just that hair of it, but I wouldn't have known it if I didn't have the sub. For most recordings, it's more than enough. It's just my type of music, I'm a bass ho. Later, and enjoy... unless you my neighbour

p.s. The value is phenomenal, get it if you can find one especially if you want a good amp to stay with you until you get that 2K cd player.

Nad 304, Luxman (?)

[Jul 13, 2000]
Lucas
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Powerful amp. , it can drive easily almost the most difficut loudspeakers

Dry sound, harsh treble

Compared to an Arcam Alpha 6 I used before, this is a more powerfull and solid amplifier which can drive my B&W CDM-1 speakers just for fun. However if you're expecting a warm sound simply forget it.

Arcam

[May 07, 2001]
Johnny
Casual Listener

Strength:

clean and prett powerful for rating, solid build
many inputs and record outs

clean
cheap plugs, bleeding

I bought end-of-stock 8000B which is a variant of the 8000A for the Asian market. I use it with JBL LSR32 and B&W603.

The amp is pretty clean so if input is not good it shows. I wanted something clean to replace a Denon receiver. All I know is that the amp pushes out very good detailed sound and adds little if any colour. I don't use the tone controls. I think it is faithful reproduction.

Using the same source material gives to different sounds. The JBL thin yet clear and the B&W mushy. I used different CD players and get different results. So must try before buying because getting your sound will depend on what you plug into amp. I don't think any amp in price range can match detail of this amp. You need to spend much more to get little better.

Only problem I have is that input plugs have bleeding. I think aux input leaks into tape 1 input.