AMC 2100 Amplifiers

stereo amplifier 100 watts per channel, 2 channel

USER REVIEWS

[Jul 11, 2018]
rona

Strength:

GREAT AMP FOR THE MONEY. I AM USING IT TO DRIVE 1.4 MAGGIES AND THE SOUND IS FABULOUS. RECENTLY TRIED AN ACURUS A100 AND THE AMC PLAYS LOUNDER AND WITH BETTER BASS. A TRUE HI-FI BARGAIN.

IT COULD LOOK A LITTLE BETTER, BUT IS NO WORST THAN A NAD OR ROTEL.

Price Paid:
140.00
Purchased:
Used
[Jun 03, 2014]
Ed P
AudioPhile

Bought this amp off eBay for $50 with the left channel blown out. $20 in output transistors, I had it up and running. It's currently hooked up to a pair of Magnepan MGIIIa speakers and it plays loud with very good bass control. Very vivid in the high frequencies too. I really like this amp. People say it was designed by someone from NAD as it looks like an NAD but it doesn't have the same buttery sound. It's more like a Krell if you can believe that. Very detailed with super fast transients. I'll be keeping this little gem for a long time.

I also spent a few more bucks and replaced all the electrolytic capacitors on the output boards and the power supply board. Seemed to make the bass quicker and deeper with more overall detail as some of them were in the signal path. I'd buy this amp used for $250 without hesitation.

[Aug 18, 2012]
Ian696
Audio Enthusiast

No idea on the product year but Damn I got a good deal.!! I go to garage sales on saterdays and this week I ran across this Amp.. The man said 10 bucks!! I looked because I have never heard of this brand before, I saw it could be bridged. had no clue of the ratings so said what the heck for 10 BUCKS ? I use the Advent marbles outside so i tried it out there switched it out with the Carver cube fired it up. No smoke so far so good haha went up on the volume and I was surprised as heck. i won't compare the 2 amps. But know that i have heard this I would pay mere if asked at a deferent sale.. the PDF user manuel was easy to get ant still much info out there on this amp..and also they are still in the game. if you ever see this amp 100 or less go for it !!

[Jun 04, 2006]
psonic
AudioPhile

Strength:

Sound, very good natural midrange, excellent vocals. Good imaging. Runs very cool. Price. Bested the Parasound HCA1000A. Drives 4ohm

Power cord not replaceable IEC. Needs to break in a while if new.

One of the better values I've seen in audio. Partner this amp with good CD source and preamp and it will reward you. Do not judge quickly - it sounds lifeless initially - takes a bit to break in (100+ hrs). After break-in, I decided to try it in my main system. My dynaudio audience floorstanders showed this to be a very capable amp. Using a PS Audio Preamp and a good dac, it really shines. Excellent midrange, imaging and vocals with good bass and highs. In fact, after careful listening I decided I much prefer the AMC 2100 to the highly regarded Parasound HCA1000A. So for now it stays in the main system. This is a real sleeper of an audio gem. It also runs very cool, which is a big bonus in the summer. I may get another and bridge them. I can honestly say, if you're having issues with the sound, be sure to break it in and match it with good source and preamp - otherwise you are not hearing the amps true potential.

Similar Products Used:

Parasound HCA1000A, NAD, Rotel, Musical Fidelity, Audio Refinement. Dynaudio audience, Athena

[Feb 13, 2006]
earnhardtjr8
AudioPhile

Strength:

awsome lows awsome mids and good high crisp clean bass

NONE

this amp is unreal im useing it to power my 2 700 watt car subs the lows are simply amazeingit will shake ur socks off i highly recomend this amp to anyone

[May 11, 2002]
David
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

$208.00

$208.00

$208 on Yahoo - Shopping

NAD 2200

[Feb 24, 2002]
Kerry
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

great sound for little money

none

I the amp connected direct from my old Sony C85ES cd player''s variable output plus a AudioSource SW-15 sub woofer(a very good sub after adding the insulation as others have said on this sight)hooked to the low level outputs. The amp drives a pair of old Klipsch Heresys. This system is very simple but the sound is very good.The amp is very clean & powerful. Highly recomended, can not be beat for 239.00 including shipping.

Adcom,HK

[Jan 10, 2000]
Andy
Audiophile

Strength:

Clean, powerfull, and uncolored sound

none

I got this amp from Sound City a few months ago, and this amp still amazes me to this day. There isn't anything it can't do. 8ohm, 4ohm, loud, quiet, no problem. It does tend to be a little bright, but it's not even a problem for me. Just be careful of the speakers you use. I just wish I could give it 6 stars!

[Dec 18, 1999]
Robert Yee
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Speaker independant; good construction with good power supply; clean, uncolored sound.

Piercing, painful treble

I read the reviews here and as always am interested in bargain equipment. The AMC 2100 fits that description well and purchased one for $299 from Sound City. I used it for several days and agreed with one reviewer here that it had a painful treble and should not be used with bright speakers. More than that there was the overall impression that this was a "cheap" amp and not really a bargain at all. The music seemed to lack focus and one really couldn't get too involved with the music at all. It left you feeling that the sound was interesting and fascinating but not very much like real music. As I have some experience modifying equipment I decided to make a simple change in the input coupling capacitors with excellent results. The Wendall 22 mfd, 25V electrolytics on the input board were replaced with 10 mfd, 50V Panasonic Z electrolytics (available from Digi-key Corp 1-800-344-4539 for about 50 cents each) and what a difference! The sound became focused and very dynamic with a overall rich, warm favor much like MIT cable. The music became involving and enjoyable with no trace of the previously mentioned sharp treble. I like it better than the NAD or Onkyo and have yet to compare it with the Kenwood. My memory of the Hafler was that it was unlistenable though very dynamic. A simple change for the better should you also have this problem. You should weigh the fact that you will void the warranty should you open the amp. If you are uncomfortable with electronics, your local shop should be able to make this easy change for a reasonable fee. Modified I give it five stars for sound and value but otherwise two stars for sound and three for value.

Similar Products Used:

Hafler DH-200, SAE P10, NAD 2100, Kenwood KMX-1000, Onkyo M501.

[Oct 14, 1999]
Daigoro
Audio Enthusiast

This is an amazingly good amp for the money. I picked it up used for $280 and am very pleased with it. It replaces the amp in my Yamaha 992 for my front 2 channels and it really puts the Yammy to shame for the most part.

The sound is MUCH warmer and has better bass and more complexity. Female vocals are better as are wind and brass instruments. Once in a while I'll come across something that the Yamaha did better--usually isolated highs--but that is the exception rather than the rule. I'd say for every one thing the Yammy does better, the AMC does four better. I know now that I will eventually go with all separates. This amp is a great way to get started on that path.

BTW, this amp also bridges to 250W so it could run a sub very well too.