Adcom GFA-7000 Amplifiers

GFA-7000

130Wx5 (8ohms) THX amp

Bug   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 19, 2018]

No one has reviewed this amp in some time, so I thought I would. I purchased a used GFA-7000 8 months ago (2017) and couldn't be more pleased with it. Instead of using it for theater, I use it in my medium-size addition for dance parties. It pushes 4, large Definitive Technology towers (8 Ohm load) (each with built in, separately powered subs). I run the amp fairly hard at continuously high volumes for 5-6 hours each time. The amp performs flawlessly and gets warm, but not hot. It has never overheated or clipped.

Although the amp evidences a "hot" or perhaps a little bit harsh high range when compared to the higher-end Marantz and Yamaha amps that I've paired with these speakers in the past, I wouldn't call it unacceptable, and it certainly isn't a problem for a dance party. And, at 1/3 to 1/5 the price of the other amps (and with more power), the GFA-7000's value is unbelievable.

All-in-all, I love this amp for my application. It was just about the cheapest 120+ watt RMS amp I found and it has worked flawlessly.

gris1969   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 15, 2006]
Strength:

Power

Reliability

Has lots of power but has let me down twice. The first time was right when I first powered it up. A small mushroom clowd of smoke rolled off the unit as it fried because of a bad cap. Adcom fixed it and about 5 years later 2 channels stopped working and I getting pretty upset. It cost me $450 to have fixed. I have a SAE MK2200 that is 30 years old and I beat the crap out of that still works like a charm. I used the SAE for parties up at school all the time and it never let me down. I don't think I will ever buy another Adcom again.

Customer Service

Very slow with repairs - it took 4 weeks last time.

Cecilandjody   AudioPhile [Jun 11, 2003]
Strength:

Sound quality. Reliability. THX certification.

Plain black.

Solid unit. Sound quality approaches the highest end of multi-channel amps.

Similar Products Used: Sunfire, Rotel, B&K, Classe'
mp006ltk   AudioPhile [Jan 08, 2003]
Strength:

Excelent cynamic presentation with excelent imaging and texture.

Not quite as smooth as some 5 figure priced amps that I have heard.

First I would like to say that this amp is givven alot of bad press from other reviewers here. It is a true pain in the arse to change fuses if you happend to short the posts by accident. Now for the good side. Any amp will sound crappy if you dont put it with the right system. This is the system that I use to demo amps. Pre/Pro EAD Encore Source Upsampled cd's to 24 bit/192khz with a dac Vonschweikert Audio VR-2100 speakers For reference I pinned it against the Musical Fidelity A3-cr (obsurdly unfair) It held it's own very nicely. Excelent dynamics and detail, with pinpoint imaging and soundstage. Overall tonal quality left only a microscopic amount to be desired. No it isn't as smooth as spectral monoblocks but it is also 14k cheaper. For home theater it is the best I have ever heard. I also drug out a Krell KAV-250 from a local dealer. It spanked the krell up one side and down the other. The krell sounded electric, like a pro audio amp. The krell also couldn't image nearly as well. There are better amps out there that are better for audiophile 2ch stuff, but for a home theater system who cares. Then again I have two dedicated systems. Outstanding value!!!!!

Similar Products Used: everything
EchoWars   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 06, 2002]
Strength:

Excellent sound with the right speaker combinations. Is capable of full output on all channels simultaneously.

Funky upper end with the wrong speakers. Runs really, really hot.

Bought mine soon after they were introduced. I put purchase price as $800, but I really can't remember what I paid for it. The amp was purchased to start my home theatre setup (which got sidetracked somewhere along the way). It ended up first powering some DIY Dynaudio speakers (Madisound MDY-4's), and sounded wonderful. The Dynaudio's had first been powered by a vintage KA-5500 60wpc Kenwood, but old 'Kenny' just didn't have the 'oomph' to push the ineffecient Dynaudio's. The Dynaudio's are very natural sounding, and the Adcom was a nice match for them, even though I was only using two channels at the time. Not long after that I finished my Heil AMT / Dynaudio 20w75 bi-amp setup. Using two channels of the Adcom to drive the Heil's and two channels to drive the Dynaudio's, I discovered the flaws of the Adcom. The Heil's tend to reveal flaws nicely (or not, depending on your point of view) in the upper frequency areas. The Heil's, driven by the Adcom, displayed a 'brittleness' in the upper regions that was not there when the Heil's were being driven by the Kenwood (or an old Dynaco 120 I tried as a test). Odd, since the Heil's are almost a pure resistive load. I can only say that this must be attributed to the bipolar output devices, and whether or not the brittleness reveals itself may well depend on your speakers. I am now still using the Adcom to drive the low end of the Dynaudio/Heil combo, and hacked my Kenwood to give it preout/main-in connections, and am using the Kenwood amplifier to drive the Heil's. NOW we're cookin' (literally...this amp runs HOT!) Thought I should mention that the Adcom is now driving the MDY-4's as surround speaks, a Vifa MTM as a center channel, and the low end of the Dynaudio/Heil biamp combo. I hear no brittleness from the center or surrounds driven by the Adcom, so maybe some setups are touchy. Should note that I lost one channel earlier this summer (output transistor bit the dust). Local place fixed it no problem, for $90. Amp has been pushed for years, so I should not be suprised, but still, none of my old 70's gear has EVER failed, so I was a bit disappointed to see my most expensve piece bite the dust.

Similar Products Used: Marantz, Sansui, Denon
matt5741   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 02, 2002]
Strength:

Sound, power, dynamic headroom.

None

Bought this amp with Adcom GTP-830 upgrading from Denon AVR-2700. After first month i am very pleased with this unit. sound quality is a major step up from my Denon, Plenty of dynamic range for movies. have found this amp sounds great for music. am very satisfied.

Similar Products Used: Denon, Marantz, Nad
Thomas   Audiophile [Jan 11, 2000]
Strength:

ZERO..

Too numerous to list..

I had mine for my in home trial,it did not take me long,[about]10 days to realize this thing was junk!!I agree with some of the other people who posted,buy some quality because this company apparantly can't produce quality.I opted for the Golden Theater 200X5.I just discovered this site I love it.

Similar Products Used: Parasound,Golden Theater,Sunfire.
jerry l   Audiophile [Jan 20, 2000]
Strength:

Great home audio sound for the buck. I pick this up used for $700. Great addition for Hometheater. good quality build.

For pure stereo audiophile listenig This is not a Krell or linn but for the money it does it job. Like any amp ground loops and other stray pickups could be a potential problem.
It is not an Amps fault but a seperates issue. amp should not be dinged because you can not figure that out.

this score reflects offset for previouse bozo's. they might have had a bad exsperience with this amp but to bring the adverage to below 3 is nuts. listen to the bad review. does is it bring out critical listening comments or just flame. This amp does what it intended for. reproduce sonics as a multi channel amp should, primary focus for HT. for the price watt per dollar you can't go wrong. granted it is not HIGH end but blows away most all receiver amp sections.

Similar Products Used: ATI/outlaw/denon/any other bipolar amp currently sell ATI
so Im not biased either way.
t. w.   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 11, 2000]
Strength:

good overall delivery at high spls, fast base,good harmonics in vocal reproduction, female/male vocals

poor internal layout, fuses at top and bottom as one reviewer pointed out, hard to get to, but also hard to blow

Ive been reading reviews on this amplifier and cant help but to respond.Personally I listen to my sound at ridiculous sound pressure levels, for hours at a time-trust me my ears are fine.Bought this amplifier in conjunction with a onkyo txds747 receiver through five pre amp outputs and jbl lx 600 speakers and have since moved to mirage om6 speakers and only once have I blown a fuse in my left rear channel, and the only annoying thing is I couldnt get to it to repair myself. However the warranty covered repairs and alls fine since I now pay closer attention to distortion allert and thermal temp. l.e.d. on front panel. Overall sound is rather forward while still revealing many fine nuances in the back of the soundstage. Many sounds such as a performer breathing into the micophone or the fingers moving over strings in complex passages hold firm.Base attack seems fast and detailed no sign of compression at high sound pressure levels, sounds stay seperated. For me this was a fine value in my first foray into the upper reaches of audio, and it has for the most part given me emotional highs and lows when listening, much more than recievers.If Adcom is to be at fault then its only in the layout and this was in part my fault for not using l.e.d.s All in, all one fine product, and Id purchase it again tomorrow.