Adcom GFA-6000 Amplifiers

USER REVIEWS

[May 03, 2016]
nic
Audio Enthusiast

Sound Amazing ..a bargain at $350;no fatiguing if listen for hours if you're used to .... looking at things closer to the $350/if you Looking for "warm" nice hi-end sounding .monster .huge transformer similar design to w3

[Dec 25, 2003]
greg k
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

$100 BUCKS,looks good ,sounds good.Did I mention I gave $100 for it? LOL

At $100, I dont think it has any weaknesses

I got this amp about 2 months ago.A local audio/HT dealer was having a sale to move some of their floor model stuff.I know them pretty good,and their know I am always a sucker for a good deal.I was cking out all the asle items and the saleman mentioned this old Adcom amp they got in as a trade in.Being an older amp with lower power rears,they really had no use for it since they do a lot of complete HT installs.Told me a $100 would take it home,just to get it out of their way!Needless to say ,I quickly got out the check book.I am using it as the center and surround amp for my Rotel RSX 1055.My rear speakers are AR TSW 510's,and really came to life with good ,clean 100W's.$100 BUCKS!! cant be beat at that price,as it is in excellent consition.

Rotel,HK

[Nov 10, 2003]
christopher baus
Audio Enthusiast

This is a pretty neat amp for what I paid. I'm using it with my PC right now, and I am amazed at the amount dynamic power this thing has. It is sick. I'm using it with a modified 15" Velodyne sub that blew the built in amp, and this thing has breathed new life into the cabinet. Good bang for the buck if you can find one on ebay.

[Sep 14, 2002]
audiogeeke
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great sound, looks and build quality

Tricky placement

The first thing I noticed about this player was the size of the toroidial transformer. Also I was impressed by its solid feel and clean looks. After hooking it up I was amazed by its sound quality and power. It drives 4 ohm Infinity reference speakers with pretty good ease. The amp seems to be somewhat warm and full in the lower freq. It outperformed a h/k 510 surround reciever I borrowed quite noticebly. The damping factor is impressive as well. Being quite a substantial piece of equipment placement is critical. The large toroid transformer seems to pick up hum from cables, plugs, etc. I have to keep my tape deck away from it or it picks up interference. The clean power you get from this amp makes up for any issues with placement. Highly recommended if you can find one used on the net.

H/k pm 665 vxi integrated amp

[May 15, 2002]
Marc Miller
Casual Listener

Strength:

Clean, clean, clean power. Dual voltage.

Weight. Heat output can get pretty serious after a few movies at higher db levels.

Great price and clean, clean, clean power. No hum when running 220v/50Hz power. Slightest of hums (I have to actually place my ear on the speaker cover of my Klipsch Tangent T-5000''s) when running 100v/60Hz. Seems to be a wonderful match for my 5.1 system (Klipsch) with a separate powered sub (Yamaha).

None.

[Feb 07, 2002]
levir
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Detailed Highs and Lows and anything in between. Powerfull high current amp circuitry. Value for the money.

slight hiss.

The Adcom GFA-6000 is a clean and detailed sounding amp compared to my HKs TXH AVR80. Upon connecting the GFA-6000 using Monster M series cables, there is a slight improvement in detail and soundstage. Power is definetly there. I find my self listening to my old CD collections over again.

Harman Kardon, Onkyo, Marantz, Krell

[Apr 12, 2001]
Vince
Audio Enthusiast

A little bright on the top side.

Got this one used a couple of months ago. Its a
very good value for the power. I would suggest
using warm speakers maybe with silk dome tweeter
instead of alluminum(if your into music). For HT
it will rock.

Parasound

[Nov 18, 1999]
Justin
Audio Enthusiast

This is a great amp for home theater and other multichannel listening sources. I have yet to force it into clipping, even when using very old AR-2ax speakers (power hogs!). I also experienced the hum from the speakers as noted above, but didn't find it intrusive. Don't put a flourescent light anywhere near this amp though! A great, clean piece.

[Oct 16, 1999]
Lawrence
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

very dynamic, very deep bass, clean highs

none at the price I paid.

I got this amp for $370 at my dealer used. I have it connected to a Sony DA50ES receiver and paradigm 7s, cc350 and atoms in the rear. This amp was a great improvement over the amps in the Sony receiver which I thought were pretty good. It stays just warm under normal use and I cannot make the amp clip at any reasonable volume level. A well built product at any price, but at $370 its a steal.

[Jul 15, 2001]
David
Audiophile

Strength:

Excellent clarity for HT use. Matches well with any component system. Outperformed my Krell 5 channel. Not easy.

produced Tinny noise from bose 901 speakers, and other mid range frequency type speakers.

The GFA 6000 is a superb Amp for its modest price range. Home theater is it's most suited role. Audiophile's may find this amp to booming in the lower ranges, unless you will be listing to some overtures which require explosiveness very suddenly. When peaking this unit, it will build heat.. alot of heat. I cooked off a high temp of 101 deg F during Deep bass tests, otherwise it remains cool. Stack this amp in the upper most areas of racks due to air travel restrictions through it. I will only compare this amp to my Krell series. For under a thousand you get a product worth thousands more.

Parasound, B&K, Niles, NAD, SpeakerCraft, Gemini, Sony, Krell