Adcom GFA-5802 Amplifiers

Adcom GFA-5802 Amplifiers

USER REVIEWS

[Jan 02, 2019]
dwn

Strength:

Built like a brick shithouse nice sleek look to it the sound is fantastic lots of power welbilt everything heavy duty

I know it's not a weakness she heats up so you have to have lots of ventilation she hates part of my basement lol. I recently just got back into vinyls LP she sounds great on vinyl records and CD some people say she's weak in the bass department I don't agree I have a pair of tannoy speakers with two 8-inch woofers when's a mid-range woofer with a tweeter in it lots of deep rich Bass mid-range and highs are great I have this amplifier bi wired one thing I like about it that a lot of amps don't have like my bryston 4B st does not have that I've recently put this adcom amp back into my stereo rack I had a McIntosh 302 power amplifier 4 years old that's recently broke down 2 times on me so I will stick with the adcom it's reliable and the sound quality is not much different maybe 5% better with the McIntosh but the adcom is reliable thanks for listening to my review

Price Paid:
2001
[Oct 09, 2016]
BodeZapha
Audio Enthusiast

big. nasty. and, oh so silky sweet. transparent. powerful. period. this mother drives my inefficient energy veritas 1.8 pigs without breaking a sweat. the 15a house circuit struggles to keep up but mr. 5802 just keeps kicking ***.
i can heat a small village from the sinks but it has never, ever let me down during 16 years of listening bliss, playing at 100db with no distortion.
it's coupled with a gfa7500 for the other five channels for movies, but at the end of the day the 5802 is the star upfront making love to those 1.8s. and, the extra bonus is that the wife hates all of it. she's old, dried up and raggedy but my adcom 5802 mistress beauty is always moist and willing.

[Sep 06, 2015]
TomVette
AudioPhile

The Adcom GFA 5802 was designed for Adcom by Nelson Pass leveraging the International Rectifier HexFet T03 output devices. Nelson Pass designed these amps with 3 vs the 5 gain stages used by many manufacturers which possibly leads to the smoother yet more transparent sound quality.

I use a pair of these to bi amp B&W 803s. These amps have a very deep and wide sound stage and deliver excellent inner detail in the music with absolutely no transistor glare. I've compared these amps to many others and they still out perform most on the market. I read all of the reviews on this site and frankly believe that the negative reviews are likely the result of faulty equipment, preamps or perhaps the Adcom.

My have performed flawlessly for almost 14 years. Highly recommended.

[Dec 27, 2010]
CarlosBorges
Audio Enthusiast

listen I"m not going to to bore you with irrelevant claims.The best amplifier I ever heard. "the end"

[Sep 25, 2010]
tomh
AudioPhile

These are great amplifiiers that produce a very deep sound stage with good detail and no transistor haze. These amps use HexFets for outputs. Nelson Pass designed this amp with only three high gain stages instead of the normal 5 stages of gain in most amps. This produces a signal path with less " handling ". The result of the design is great sound that is not fatiguing. The amp produces a lot of power and is perfect for electrostatic speakers. The only negative is heat. The amp is biased to run Class A for a good portion of its output. Keep this baby well ventilated.

[Oct 23, 2004]
xmikex
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

POWER,POWER,Sound,Price.$700-$800 used

Runs a little hot.

This is the only high rated amp in my price range that had this much power.I am driving a pair of power hungy SL-3 Martin Logans .It will drive the ML's with great detail,and sounstage.It is a little weak on bass,but it might be just the speakers,as some of the lower end ML's need a sub to sound great. Ive had this amp for 3 years with no problems what so ever.

Similar Products Used:

Carver.Electrocompaniet AW-100, B&K ???

[Dec 04, 2003]
babs
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Build quality is excellent, sound is phenomenal, well worth the money. Stretch to the price if you can.

I don't think there are any, but perhaps that it only comes in grey/silver(!).

I tried this as a last resort, as everything else failed misrably when it came to driving my Mission 770's. It was the top-end of our budget, but we tried it anyway. To say we were blown away is an understatement. This thing is fantastic, pumping out a massive 140 wpc into 8ohms. I'm sure it will drive anything, because my Mission's were bouncing along like never before. The sound is crisp and clean in the high frequencies, with knock-your-socks-off mids and base which is accurate, tight and well-rounded. It's almost a dream come true! It's not very big or heavy either, which makes this little gem even more astounding. I am well impressed, and still reeling from shear delight and astonishment.

Rega Exon mono bloks Tag McLaren 60P Rega Maia

[Nov 22, 2003]
Craig
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Power, detail, soundstage, low distortion

Unreliable

I purchsed this amplifier on the used market, where I purchase most of my electronics, and usually have very good success. I bought this amplifier based on it's reviews, and then matched it up with the Adcom GFP-750 Pre-amp, Adcom GCD-700 CD player, and Adcom GDA-700 DAC. I also have Paradigm Studio Monitor speakers (the model that was replaced by the 100's). The speakers sound amazing, and they love the power that this amp can put out. The amplifier worked great for about 6 months, and then the problems began. First the left channel began to cut out, and then went totally dead. I've had to take it in for repairs several times to solve that problem, and just when I thought everything was great again, one of the two sets of binding posts on the right channel went (they have two sets for each channel for bi-wiring, and I was using both sets to bi-wire). So it looks like I'm back to the repair shop again. This amplifier does sound good when it works, but I think Adcom's reliability has gone down hill quickly. That is what happens when companies try to cut corners to increase profits. I was also not impressed at all with the customer service at Adcom. This is supposed to be their flag ship amplifier, and when I contacted them about the left channel being totally dead on a 2 year old amplifier, all they cared about was that I was not the original buyer, and because of that they would do nothing for me. I could have shipped it to them and for around $400.(US), they would check it out, and repair it. Even if it was only a $20. part, the price would still be $400. Given that I'm in Canada, with duties, taxes and shipping, that would have been a costly option. This will be the last Adcom product I purchase, and when I get it repaired once again, I will be selling the whole set-up and looking for a Bryston. It is well worth the little extra you may have to pay for a Bryston. They have a 20 year transferrable warranty and care about the satisfaction of their customers. Adcom could learn from them. Overall, this is a good sounding amplifier, but with a limited warranty, and poor customer service, why take a chance?

Bryston 4B, Yamaha MX-1

[Jun 19, 2003]
gmood1
AudioPhile

Strength:

Honestly I didn't hear any!

highs too extended,lack the musical warmth in the music that I love,This amp sounds nothing like good tubes and I doubt it ever will.

I listen to this amp on some Paradigm 100s v.2.The preamp was adcoms latest digital preamp ,can't remeber the model.And a denon dvd player was the source.I thought it would sound better than the denon reciever ...that I had previously listened to .But I guess I was mistaken,the sound was bright and very fatiguing.I hope it wasn't broken in because I couldn't listen to it but a few minutes before turning it off.Bass was almost unnoticeable,again the highs had my attention so it glazed everything else over.Left quite dissapointed in it's perfomance and feel this kinda money can get you some new Monarchy SM 70 pros or the for that matter any of their products.There just isn't a contest when comparing these to companies amplifiers!

Monarchy ,McIntosh,Music Reference,other Adcoms amps

[Mar 13, 2003]
jpalkhivala
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Sound Build construction Balanced XLR Value

Not really a weakness, but this amp runs hot.

I've had this amp for a few years now and am still very happy with it. You get a lot of amp for the money: * Solid state MOSFETT design * 300 Watts per channel * Balanced XLR and unbalanced gold RCA * Removable power cord The first thing I should say is that this amp is built like a tank. It's very heavy. Big heatsinks along each side, 12 guage wire internally and capacitors the size of beer cans. One of the selling points is the MOSFETT design; Adcom claims you get a 'tubelike' sound from MOSFETT transistors. I find the 5802 begins to sound a little softer in the high frequencies after it heats up a little. And it *does* heat-up, you won't want to put any other componets on top of this amp. I have never used tube equipment, but I can say that I prefer the 5802 sound to my Bryston 3BST. Bryston is an excellent solid state amp, but I find the sound can be a little harsh and fatiguing with my NHT 2.9s. The Adcom has a 'softer' sound but supplies all power and dynamics the NHT's can deliver. I find the 5802 versatile for a 2 channel amp. You get RCA AND balanced inputs. I use it for 2 channel stereo as well as HT. NHT speakers can suck-up a lot of power. The 5802 is always able to keep up without too much effort. Playing quiet or loud, Stereo or DVD, I always enjoy listening to this amp. I can say honestly that the 5802 really improved the overall sound of my system without speding a ridiculous amount of money. I have since changed and upgraded other components, but I think I'll be hanging on to the Adcom for a while. 5 stars value. 4 stars overall, since I know there will be *always* be something better out there.

Nikko, Bryston 3B-ST, Marantz MA700, Onkyo 676