Adcom GFA-5800 Amplifiers

Adcom GFA-5800 Amplifiers

DESCRIPTION

·250 watts continuous average power into 8 ohms at any frequency between 20 Hz and 20kHz with both channels driven at less than 0.18% THD.

USER REVIEWS

[Dec 23, 2018]
Artemis Gordon

Strength:

This amp is one of my truly powerful amps. Solid state 250 watts per channel. Clean, undistorted sound. It is one of Nelson Pass's excellent design.

It's heavy! It weighs 65 lbs. It uses a lot of electricity.

Purchased:
Used
[Feb 13, 2016]
Chris
AudioPhile

This is an amazing amp and is everything Adcom planed and expected of it. At first I was a little disappointed expecting a bit more from it, more meaning clarity and sharpness. The power is there no doubt this amp puts out no complaints there. When I purchased my system I also bought the Adcom preamp and CD player expecting matched perfection. I was quite impressed for the dollars spent especially hearing it all through Dunlavy III speakers. Amazing, even in less than ideal room setup it is so pleasing to listen to, that was until the preamp went south and then the CD player shortly after both only lasting about 4 years. This is when I discovered the adcom preamp wasn't doing the amp justice. Let me explain. I Purchased another Adcom preamp on ebay being true to the brand thinking it was best for the system since all were made to match with one another, not the case. The newly purchased (used) Adcom preamp sounding exactly exactly like the old (which I thought was spectacular) However, the new unit had a glitch in one of the controls no biggie I paid just $110 for it so I went back on ebay but saw no Adcom units but did come across a NAD preamp model number 1130. This is NAD's second from bottom line from what I can tell. It turned out to be the right buy the new found sound coming from the Dunlavys was OMG! The open clarity, sharpness, crispness and depth of bass! WOW! It just opened everything up and plays with so much more power compared to Adcom's preamps. Who-da-thunk such a simple preamp from another manufacturer could be so different? My 5800 amp and Dunlavy speakers found new life just as I did as well when listening to my system. My Adcom amp and Dunlavy IIIs after 22 years still sound amazing. To anyone out there with an Adcom GFE 5800 amp, you must try the NAD preamp, I paid $100 on ebay for mine, what a bargain! What a sound!

[Dec 14, 2011]
MrBasund2
AudioPhile

When I saw the fan on the back I thought!
Will this be good then!

I connected to the Silencio trio from Basund audio!
BI wire. Adcom 5800 on top. and Basund audio's Potent amp on the bottom.

The sound literally rolled out of the speakers, detail-rich and the pressure.
it played so loud that, the microphone that we measured with turned inside out!
This I had not really imagined!
Now I am looking for a smaller amplifier
The bass did not play so loud (108 dB) so I have to down size on top.

Regards Johnny Borge båsund

[May 13, 2009]
eikm
AudioPhile

This amp can jam! I exploded a drinking glass once. no kidding. Sounds great

[Nov 14, 2007]
caesar148
AudioPhile

Strength:

None. There is no strength I can vote for.

Poor definition. Lack of clarity. Weak muddy bass

II bought this amp new based on the good reviews from previous Adcom amps and the reputation Adcom had. This amp uses MOSFET drivers which they called HEXFETs, as opposed to bipolar transistor in the majority of other amplifiers. I wanted a tube like sound with the bass control of solid state amplifier and the Adcom GFA-5800 provided the best of both worlds - so I thought.

Well, I was disappointed. The sound was poorly defined with total lack of clarity. I was using the Mission 753 speakers which are not difficult to drive so I can't point the finger on the speaker as a contributing factor. It sounded like I was listening to it behind a thick curtain. No imaging, music sounded dead. I compared it to the Sony TA-N77ES amp and the sound was miles apart. The Sony amp was clear, defined, a little bit harsh but much more involving. The Onkyo M-508 was even better. The bass for well controlled and the mid range has good imaging I used the Adcom amp for two years hoping it would break in with time but it never did improved.

It has been a while since I last heard it but the bad experience remains vividly etched in my mind and I feel compelled to write this review. This product gets a 1 star from me.

Sony TA-N77ES, Onkyo M-508, Parasound HCA-2200II

[Jan 08, 2005]
Ray H
Casual Listener

Strength:

Rock solid build quality and reliability. Great sonics (It's NOT "steely".) Best bang for the buck. Period.

It doesn't do windows or feed the cat.

Dunno what all the fuss is about from the naysayers. I've used my 5800 since 1997 without any probs. (Oh, it "bumps" momentarily at turn on - big deal...) It's now 2005. Mine's driving a pair of VMPS Tower IIs. Yes, it would be nice to have the fan-less 5802, but my 5800's fans never intrude - just a soft whisper right at the amp. (Might have something to do with the Tower IIs 92 dB/watt efficiency and an impedence curve that never drops below 4 ohms - I doubt my 5800 has ever shifted out of Class A mode.)

[May 22, 2003]
The Defiler
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

As a midrange amp or with the proper speakers the Adcom is both a powerful and detailed amplifier.

With the wrong set of speakers the Adcom can be absolutely intolerable. It gets rather hot.

You either have to love or hate this product. When I first bought this thing I hated it. Using this thing to power full range speakers ,with the exception of Energy and possibly Martin Logan Speakers, can be an exercise in frustration. Highs are as clear as steel and become quite grating and annoying after 5 or ten minutes. However this thing is perfect for use in a biamplified setup with a set of midranges, alone. After a while I took that system apart and sent the Adcom to my home theater system were it was banished to surround sound duty. Although the Adcom proved to be acceptable in this role the grating highs proved to be quite annoying. However fate came calling one day when the Adcom was asked to join the parasound in HCA 2200 II in stereo system. At last the Adcom has found its place "under the sun". Instead of being the unwanted step child ,that was about to be traded for something else, the Adcom and the Parasound operate together to in create "beautiful music. As a stand alone midrange amplifier the Adcom is powerful and detailed. Norah Jones is conveyed in all her detail and grace. It's not just a matter of listening to music I can truly experience it, that's how well the Adcom does it's job as a midrange amp. Note only is the detail incredible the dynamic power is unreal. Compared to the Citation 7.1 that it replaced the Adcom and the Parasound can produce high volume music with a minimum of fuss or distortion.

Citation 7.1

[Apr 18, 2003]
Anroj
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Wide, deep and detailed soundstage. Super quiet

None found

I just got the GFA-5800 and hooked it up yesterday. The first thing I noticed was how it opened up all of my favorite albums (yes, vinyl), CD's, SACD's, and DVD-A's. The soundstage was wider, more precise and more coherent. This amp gave a new sense of pace, snap and rhythm to my music as well as presenting a deeper soundstage with well-recorded music (such as Reference Recordings Pomp and Pipes). Probably has to do with this amp running in Class A all the way up to 10 watts. I don't get any fan noise and this thing runs pretty cool. I think I am going to buy another one so that I can bi-amp my speakers.

Other Adcom amps, Yamaha, Parasound

[Oct 15, 2002]
James Benicke
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Plenty of power and reserve. Will drive a 2 ohm load without shutting down.

Fan noise

I just picked this amp up from a friend of mine a couple of months ago and have been very impressed with the sound quality. It's a very clean and detailed sound with a great low end and nice airy transparent mids and highs.I do most of my listening late at night at low volumes and the sound is great, you don't loose a thing. This is where the problem comes in, after playing for about an half hour the fans kick in and although the noise is not pervasive it is still annoying for an amp in its price range...... I hope someone from Adcom is reading this review.....Distortion whether electronic or audible noise from an internal fan is still distortion and not acceptable in so called high end amplifier. Bottom line is I bought the amp dirt cheap and it does make music. Aside from the fan noise this amp does give a good accounting of itself.

[Sep 30, 2002]
Eric Soderheim
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Drives low impedance loads

noisy fans......Adcom should be ashamed not to have stopped production and made modifications to correct this problem.

Decent sounding amp......not the last word in resolution.....everything else is nit picking. On the second hand market its a steal.