Adcom GFA-5200 Amplifiers

GFA-5200

Number of channels-2, Watts per channel into 8 ohms-50, Watts per channel into 4 ohms-80

Luicas   AudioPhile [Apr 19, 2011]

Sounds super good! Got it for $100, and just can't find anything better suited to my needs. Driving it with an Adcom GTP-450 preamp, and wired to a pair of Polk M20's as my office stereo system. Very detailed, natural, and straightforward.

Using a Marantz SACD as a source.

SACD's sound superb. CD's sound great. OTOH, iPod's sonic limitations are blatantly exposed without mercy.

C Garner   an Audio Enthusiast [Feb 24, 1997]

Excellent product for the moneyWill drive low impedence speakers better than you would expect

Magnus Östvall   an Audio Enthusiast [May 16, 1997]

I like the sound of this amplifier,it's kind of smooth, but still very detailed.
It's only 50watts per channel at 8 ohms,
but it's enough for most applications,
only time I would like more power (and larger speakers)
would be for a home cinema system.

Buy with confidence.

Steven   an Audiophile [May 05, 1997]

Bought this amp for my son's college dorm.You know it's very rare you find an amp like this. First of all, separate amps in this price range are pretty hard to find. A good one is even harder. Listen to this and you've got one of these such amplifiers. Obviously not a whole lot of power, but enough to drive any speaker without working too hard. Sounds great; low noise; smooth highs; great midrange for an amp in this range. Give it a shot; it won't let you down.

Alan Harris   an Audio Enthusiast [Sep 28, 1998]

Nice little amp. Stacked it up against a $1000 Parasound in a dealer's showroom and neither of us could hear a difference. Color me impressed.

John   Audio Enthusiast [Jun 08, 2000]
Strength:

Very clear and smooth sound.

Only one set of speaker terminals.

This is a wonderful piece of equipment. I purchased it to replace my 20 year old Kenwood integrated amp(it too was a great buy-can't remember model number though!) I purchased this amp brand new along with a used NAD pre-amp and was amazed at the sound improvement.I've heard things I never heard before.Currently using an old pair of Boston Acoustics A150MkII's-still sound great-best $500.00 speaker pair from the early 80's, but just ordered Magneplan MMG's can't wait to hear the Adcom drive those!

Similar Products Used: Old Kenwood integrated amp.