Acurus A250 Amplifiers

Acurus A250 Amplifiers

DESCRIPTION

250 watts per channel continuous, both channels driven into 8 Ohms 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz at no more than 0.06% THD

USER REVIEWS

[Mar 30, 2020]
richardv4

Strength:

great sound, affordable price, reliable

needs color options IMO Ensure Home Inspections

$600
1994
[Dec 10, 2019]
Zara18

Strength:

So far, I've been using this product over a year now, well I am satisfied with the quality and durability.

it is quite expensive and high electricity consumptions. concrete supplier

$125
New
2017
[Dec 09, 2019]
fsatsil

Strength:

Loads of power Drives difficult speaker loads Price excellent sound quality Made in the USA Good parts and build quality

No speaker protection circuit

[Jul 06, 2019]
PGC

Strength:

Active used market so prices are still very good. 250 Watts means it will easily power even the most inefficient speakers. I bought this amp to replace my Acurus A200 x3 which had a sound I never liked.

Same problems as the Acurus A200 x3 which this amp was supposed to replace. Crosstalk, poor sound quality for music, unrefined. Reliability. Prone to overheating. Better sounding and cheaper 80’s amplifiers are available from Adcom, Denon, Sony, Hafler, NAD, Quad. Chassis is poorly designed. A heavy amp shouldn’t have razor sharp corners!

1999
[Jun 06, 2019]
Blair Ware

Strength:

I bought my A250 new and used it with a variety of speakers over the years. Most recently I have been using it to drive a pair 1.7 Maggies. I could not ask for a better combination, truly magical. My only concern is its age.

I am currently using an Acurus L10 preamp. I've tried a couple of other preamp, all of which sound better.

2000
New
1992
[Nov 20, 2018]
Artemis

Strength:

This amp has lots of power and sounds clean and detailed. It can drive hard to drive speakers while not losing control or finesse. With a good tube preamp, the sound is liquid smooth with lots of detailed highs and deep bass.

It can sound tinny and harsh with cheap speakers or bad sources.

$299
1994
[Oct 11, 2015]
leodoc
AudioPhile

I agree with the bulk of the reviewers. Acurus a250 mated with Counterpoint 3.1, and with Thiel 3.5 speakers are musical, smooth, and very true in tone and presentation. Thiels are well known to require a certain quality to drive them to get the best out of them.

The Acurus mated with the tube pre-amp from counterpoint created a richness than was difficult to match from most all of the compeition. I had a friend that owned a high quality stereo store back in the 90's and 2000's.

I used to take the counterpoint and Acurus up to have him audition the pair with different speakers and against new equipment as it rolled in the door. That combo put all but the $20,000 systmes to shame. In my theater room, I ran a Proceed AVP with ADP and a Carver AV806x. The Proceed was likewise an excellent mate with the Acurus, but I think the tubes played off of the Acurus the best.

[Jan 29, 2015]
BradleyP
Audio Enthusiast

It's all been said in the reviews in this forum. The Acurus A250 is a fine amp, especially for the money. I bought mine new in 1993, along with the matching L10 preamp. I mate the combo with a very revealing pair of Martin Logan hybrid electrostatics (completely passive) and get crazy smoothness, detail, depth, width, and control. I once heard a similarly powered Aragon amp, which had even more bass depth and control, so that's why I give the amp four stars instead of five. After owning the amp for 20 years and running it through the same power conditioner the whole time, I finally got a wild hair and wondered what it would sound like plugged directly into the wall. Well, I did that, and then my wife and I laughed out loud. The transparency increased by a whole lot. It wasn't subtle. Then I almost cried knowing that I spent 20 years with sound that was not as good as it could have been. Anyway, it's like I have a whole new amp!

[Mar 01, 2014]
Miles Morris
Audio Enthusiast

Same old same old....I'm with the folks here who have actually Listened to this Amplifier before AND after it has been well broken in and not someone who just likes to see their printed words saying how clever they are for buying something else after only a brief encounter or actually just repeating something else they have read somewhere and never given something a fair chance. Bought my A-250 in the early 1990s and matched it up with an Adcom GFP 564 preamp various HK and Elite CD, cassette decks, Project Turntable MIT connections and a pair of NEAR 50-ME speakers...still listen to it at least once a week and it is still sounding better than ever! When I first got the amp I had read about the harshness issue before hand but like everything else in my life at least I was willing to get some experience with the thing first because to me that is the true test of ANYTHING....giving up on anything too quickly just leads to never being satisfied and always mucking about unfullfilled in my eyes anyway. I started off my Audio journey in the 1970s with a Marantz 1060 amp Pioneer turntable and Larger Advent speakers and went through several componants over the years mostly just to increase the power involved and keep up with better sound quality. The system I had before the one I have now had Bryston 3B for power, a AGI pre-amp, Denon turntable JVC casssette deck and JBL L100 speakers Soundcraftman Equalizer Yamaha tuner...which was stolen from my apartment...which REALLY pissed me off! So I'm sticking with what has been good for me for over 20 years and have so far resisted the temptation to constantly "upgrade"...damn hard but true. The only thing I have added is a Velodyn sub and have replaced the Tweeters in the Nears....which were made just down the road from where I live. So the Acurus is still keeping me enjoying music because it just sounds really good and has plenty of power what I need...just my version from real life use boys and girls...

[Dec 19, 2013]
Murray A. Rubinstein
AudioPhile

The Acurus 250 is a true gem--and a price line miracle I has power, grace and with the proper speakers-my old baby MagnepanMGA--now MMG it sang.It is paired the B&K Pro MC10 Sonata preamp (now a classic)

With my new NHT Classic 3 with NHT B10 subwoofer it also sounds goup on my NAD CD player ir my MIcromega DAC ( with a SONY multi disc player with Optical cable(Audioquest Cinnamon ). or through my Project III turntable it sounds quite spectcular. Lots of fun and I did not pay $60,000.f00or theprivilege as one must to does to buy the new Don D' Agostino new monoblock Ppower amplfiers (review in the latest issue of TAS. Budget