Acurus A200 Amplifiers

Acurus A200 Amplifiers

DESCRIPTION

200 watts per channel continuous, both channels driven into 8 Ohms, 300 watts per channel continuous, both channels driven into 4 ohms

USER REVIEWS

[Jun 26, 2018]
Lawry

Strength:

Clear sound. Power appears limitless. Build quality is very good considering the age and much better than my matching A200 x3. Perfect for a home theater. And if you're not very critical about sound, it makes a good amp for a hifi system if you can find suitable speakers. Don't use these with low end speakers like Klipsch, B&W or Celestion. I had good results with the higher end Rogers, JBL, Martin Logans and Magnepans.

This is a 20 year old amplifier and there were better amplifiers in sound and build quality e.g. Denon, Sony ES, Bryston, Hafler, and pretty much any British company.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
1998
[Apr 02, 2013]
Brandon25373
Audio Enthusiast

I took advantage of a used version of this amp that I was able to trade my Adcom for. I was happy the second I hit play and hadn't even made it over to the sweet spot for critical judgement. I used this amp with Monitor Audio RS6's and a B&K PT3 Preamp.

Pros: Large capacitors and and a massive transformer provide excessive headroom and reserve for speakers as sensitive as mine. This amp had a very warm, almost tube-like sound quality. The sound stage was very transparent and the imaging was precise.

Cons: Noticable hum when sitting idle, but that's likely due to the fact that it's nearly 20 years old. The ground on this amp bleeds into the interconnects and will BUZZ if you're not using a grounded preamp. Isolating the ground loop with a piece of wire going from the amp chassis to the preamp chassis solved the issue immediatly.

In a nutshell: These amps are selling on Ebay and other places for around the $400-$500 price. I believe this amp is a STEAL at that price. You will not be disappointed!

[Feb 01, 2008]
DaWizard
AudioPhile

Strength:

Build Quality and CLEAN SOUND!!! Great DETAIL

None at this price point

One of the best things about this amplifier is that it allows you to evaluate every other component you add to your system. So if you buy a new Preamp, CD Player, DAC you know exactly what that component brings (or dose not bring) to the party The Amp is totally out of the way. It adds no color of it's own. Clean pure power. You could easily spend twice as much on the used market and not get a better amp and 200 Watts of audiophile quality is not going to happen at this price point. In fact you can spend twice as much on the new market and not do better. My friend just bought a Brand New Parasound A23 for 850.00 Yes it was only 125 watts vs my 200 watts but that's not the point. We first swapped mine into his system and then the following week we swapped his into mine. He had to admit that the Acurus was the winner hands down both times.. For bset results pair with a Tube AMP a little less detail but more layered sound stage

[Feb 09, 2007]
RadialElite
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Solid power
clean uncolored sound
Solid build (could probably drop it 6 feet (on carpet) and it would be unscathed!

the massive heatsinks are pretty!

not pretentious

It is heavy so it would be harder to steal!

Doesn't have an auto on trigger, but it is cool to turn it on. it feels like the beginning of back to the future.

The heatsinks are sharp and will cut the uninitiated.

at program it is warm to the touch so has become the cat's favorite spot.

doesn't have balanced inputs, but if you had the money for a pre-amp with balanced inputs you might not have ever looked at this "budget" jewel.

I have two a200 running my PSB Stratus Goldi's bi-amped and use an a200x5 for the surrounds and center.

The a200 is a tank! I can describe it better than that. When the amps are asked to deliver they wake up and make the music sound full and rich.

The only moving parts are the power switch and the binding posts so it is as quiet as can be.

The toroidal transformer is massive enough that might seem silly to have one for each (get a monobloc if that is what you want),

The capacitor is almost the size of a coffee can and it always has reserves. I have had the levels at full volume when the power went out and the a200 will continue to play for at least 5 seconds!

I love them!

Mackie
Peavey

[Jun 05, 2003]
timrhube
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Build quality, runs cool and quiet.

None.

I've owned this amp for about a year now and it has performed flawlessly. It is the coolest running amp i've had in my system, no matter how long it stays on or how hard it's pushed. The only way to describe the sound is nuetral, nothing accentuated that shouldn't be. It also is extremely quiet when idling, not so with the Rotel amps (RB-981s)I used before the Acurus. The build quality is superb, this amp looks like it'll run forever. Too bad it is no longer in production. For the price this amp is unbeatable.

Sony TA-N55-ES, Rotel RB-981

[Apr 15, 2003]
kevin5brown
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Sound, build quality, looks.

Has 1 transformer. Dual transformers would be a step up, but that would cost more too.

Very nice two channel amp. I'm using it with an Acurus A200x5 for a 7.1 system. There's not much else I can say! It does the job in a very understated way. Always have enough power, never runs hot, doesn't add anything to the sound, very well built, I expect to have it in my system for a long time.

Aragon, Nakamichi (Threshold), Adcom

[Mar 14, 2003]
Cory
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Excellent overall sound quality for the price. Smooth, detailed and non-fatiguing. Bass response is excellent-weel defined and controlled not bloated. Outstanding build quality/craftsmanship at this price. Better sounding and more accurate than anything else that I have listened to in this price range. Does not add or take away from what is present in recordings, good one sound great-bad recordings are reproduced the way they truly are. Amps "disappear" leaving only what is upstream.

Can get a little bright when driven hard, as almost all solid state products do. Out of business, unfortunately. Lack of snob/curb appeal, not a problem for me. I tend to let the equipment speak for itself on its own merits.

First, I am sorry to learn that Acurus is now defunct. Klipsch bought Mondial(Aragon/Acurus) and dropped Acurus to concentrate on Aragon. I hope that they don't ruin the company. I have two A200s used as monoblocks. They are smooth, detailed, neutral and image well. Bass is well defined and controlled. Mids are reproduced correctly without overweigting them. Highs are nicely extended without becoming "silvery". I strongly reccomend their products, they are bargains and mine were NIB, probably a few still left out there.

Similar Products Used:

Adcom, Rotel, NAD, Carver other various mid-fi products.

[Feb 15, 2000]
Jon
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Build Quality
Construction quality; power

None

Just purchased this unit and have broken it in over the last 3 weeks. What I've noticed about this amp is this: it sounds very natural, it images well, it never runs hot, it handles very dramatic musical passages and it is built exceptionally well.

I tested the amp side by side with Adcom (including the much touted 5802), Parasound and NAD. The quality that continued to come across was this amps naturalness. By natural, I mean that the amp does not over color any particular sounds.

The rest of my system is as follows:

Amp: Acurus A200
Pre-Amp: Acurus RL-11
CD: Cambridge Audio D500
Speakers: B&W Signature 7SE

Adcom; Parasound; NAD

[Feb 10, 1999]
Loy
an Audio Enthusiast

Here is my system;Marantz CD-67se --> Topaz --> Acurus RL11 --> Kimber Hero --> Acurus A200 --> NHT Supertwo.
Well, this Amp definitely has power. Probably best bang for the buck at this price range. very clean.. match well with the RL11. Over all I am very satisfy with this system.. This amp makes me think of upgrading my speaker to something around NHT 2.9 just to match its potential.

[Aug 08, 2000]
Keith Kurzeja
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

This amp is clean and seems to be distorton free. I love a slightly rolled off sound, as I listen to alot of classic rock albums. It images well in my system with a fairly deep soundstage and, depending on the recording, I can sometimes clearly pinpoint instruments in the stage. Bass is solid, mids clear, highs sweet, not "too crispy". I get a decent amount of detail, but not too much analytical type sound. Not fatiguing at all.

I'd love to hear very, very accurate soundstaging and imaging, but I find this type of presentation fatiguing and way too sharp for my ears. So this amp fits my needs.

You've seem my comments. This amp makes me very happy. I can listen to it for hours. My previous system, lots more money ( Adcom monoblocks with a high end Rotel preamp) sucked compared to set up I have now. I consider the sound accurate, sweet for transistor, fairly accurate, and most of all, distortion free. I heartily recommend this amp. If this is a "budget" Arcam, what does the good stuff sound like?

Similar Products Used:

Several Adcoms, NAD, B&W, Rotel.