Yamaha RX-V995 A/V Receivers

RX-V995

Dolby Pro Logic/Digital/DTS - Yamaha's Digital Sound Field Processing (recreates the acoustic personalities of actual concert halls and other venues), Cinema DSP, and Tri-Field Processing - 100w x 5 channels - 6-channel direct input - 5 composite A/V inputs - 1 s-video input - 3 analog audio inputs - 4 digital audio inputs

Brandon   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 12, 2011]

To preface this summary/review, I am a custom CE design/sales/installer and have done home theater rooms in excess of $30k. So I've heard GOOD sounding equipment and speakers before. I have it hooked up to bookshelf fronts and center, and satellite rear surrounds, with a Canton 10" subwoofer in a 15' x 15' concrete floor room. My sources are a HTPC (blu-ray/HD-DVD), Satellite receiver, CD Changer, & Phonograph. I also have an older Pioneer SA-940 which only runs my tower speakers for Vinyl & two channel stereo listening. There's still nothing like an old integrated amplifier for pure sounding music.

I purchased this Yamaha receiver for $65.00 at a Goodwill Auction in Austin, TX. I guess I got a great deal. It will decode DTS and Dolby Digital, so it suits my needs very well. I plugged it in, in place of my Marantz SR5001 which has HDMI and Component Video inputs/outputs. And let me tell you.... It sounds great! 100wpc x 5 and loads of surround settings! It doesn't have as much clean power as pre-pro and separate power amplifier would, but for an A/V receiver it sounds very nice for bookshelf fronts and satellite rears. It instantly sounded better than the Marantz, even though the Marantz did an adequate job for surround sound, the Yamaha sounds loads better for surround sound AND two channel stuff like CD's and iPod. The only thing this receiver lacks is assignable digital inputs. They are all just pre-set and you can't rename them. But for a receiver from the year i graduated high-school (1999) it still looks new and sounds great. It also has zone two pre-out for audio and video. You just turn the knob on the front to select what you want to hear from the zone two pre-out. If i found another one of these for the same price i paid, i would pick it up and resell it for about $300 like the ones i saw on Amazon.com yesterday (4-12-11). If you find one of these surround receivers in good working order, it should still satisfy your needs if you don't need HD video switching. Good luck.

alfonzo   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 27, 2011]

I have had other brands of receivers before but kicked them to the curb with in two years. Purchased this unit new more than ten years ago and have used it non stop. I paid $1000 for it new and still performs like day one. It has taken the abuse of moving a dozen times. Volume at max for hours with no sound distortion which means never a blown speaker. I have never even opened it up to clean the dust. I hate to say it, but I have abused this piece of electronic all its life and it just keeps on going. Yamaha really put this one together well. From music blasting to clear Digital Theater Sound, you will not be disappointed.

rukiddinme   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 07, 2009]

So, how 'bout $30 on craigslist? That's what I paid a couple of days ago for one. I couldn't believe the guy was willing to unload it for that little. As soon as I saw it on craigslist, I immediately jumped before someone else snatched it up. All it needed was a bit of cleaning, and it looks almost new...and it sounds awesome...absolutely incredible for $30. I'd say that it may be the best 30 bucks I've ever spent in my entire life!

Translunar   AudioPhile [Apr 13, 2009]

Craigslist....$65.00 Im still laughing. Connected to B&W 601's and a 10" Velodyne. Insane! This 2 ch set up will floor you! I have Martin Logans, Infinity, Klipsch, Boston, but this is my favorite set up. So much from so little. Great old receiver. It refuses to die.

Tonyvdb   AudioPhile [Aug 27, 2003]
Strength:

This Yamaha gives so many souround fetures for the price that is payed. The DTS is clean and dynamic and the Dolby Didgital is also strong. The display on the receiver and on the Television is detailed and easy to understand. Remains cool even under a hard load using Mission 765 mains, 762 rears it keeps its heat disapation under the damaging level. Many amps get very hot and do not get rid of the heat causing dammage to the solder conections and parts. I owned a Carver HR-895 prior to this and had to keep it outside of the rack in order to disapate the heat enough to keep it running.

The remote control is complicated and rather large and the front flip panel seems to be fragile and may be broken easaly and at neerly $150US to replace (the cover is needed in order to select diferent operations depending on if its open or closed) its not something that I would want to do.

The RX-V995 exsibites amazing clarity and difinition to all 5 channels. Its true 100 watts per ch. is clear all the way to the cliping point Many companies do not rate the receivers to true peak watage and over estimate the amount of power that they produce.

Similar Products Used: Carver HR-895, Yamaha E1000U, Yamaha DDP-2
jcono   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 20, 2003]
Strength:

Build quality, sound, inputs/outputs, 6-channel input for external decoder (like DVD Audio/SACD), DTS & Dolby Digital

Lame remote

I bought this receiver on eBay to replace a Denon AVR 3600 to get DTS and some extra power. I was amazed by the quality of the sound and all the excellent DSP modes. It is hooked up to 2 B&W 601 S2's, B&W CC6 Center Channel, some Infinity bookshelf speakers for surround, and a Sunfire True Subwoofer Jr. Movies and music sound much more rich and full than on my old Denon. Highly recommend.

Similar Products Used: Denon AVR-3600 Denon AVR-5600
rcpmax   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 04, 2003]
Strength:

Build Quality. Handsome, professional looks. Good sound using my Wharfedales.

SNAFUs and hoops-to-jump-through to play DTS CDs (My biggest gripe). DAC only goes up to 48kHz (cannot decode DVD-Audio Discs). No option to monitor radio station info on the display continuously (minor gripe). No dedicated ports for EQ hookup. Ridiculously over-ambitious remote control.

Most of my comments are of the “minor-gripe” variety, but I’ll start with the positives. Overall I like this receiver (or else I would have sold it by now). The power-for-the-price ratio is great – especially for the bargain clearance price that I got it for. It cleanly delivers its (100W x 5) channels. Excellent control over the loudness, delays, etc. of the center and the surrounds - it actually has more features than I would ever use in that regard. I have played with the DSP settings a bit, but the only ones I really use are the Pro Logic and the Pro Logic Enhanced to make normal stereo sources sound better - although not all sources sound better going through Pro Logic. That is a function of how the recording itself was engineered and the nuances of Dolby Pro Logic and not a fault of Yamaha (in my opinion). The remote control – in a word – is ridiculous. It is too complicated to use. The door seems too flimsy to resist breakage, the glow-in-the-dark buttons cannot be read five minutes after the lights are out – you can only see that there are buttons there, but can’t read them too well. I have read the manual on how to program the macros, but the limitations of the macros don’t allow me to do what I want it to do anyway, so I don’t use them.

Similar Products Used: No other surround-sound equipment.
Timothy R. Conner   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 12, 2000]
Strength:

extensive imput and outputs,absolutely no noise {hiss} evident.

Lighted dial a gold color(not very attractive)

This is an amazing piece of equipment.I have a panasonic PV-S9670 vcr,Sony 530 dvd,complete energy speaker surround system all connected to a Toshiba TW56X81.The preformance of the Yamaha is in my mind flawless.I would recomend it to anyone(for the price).

Similar Products Used: Pioneer SA9100 amp and tuner
Mark   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 14, 2000]
Strength:

All the inputs and S-VHS connections

Remote could be better, I don't like the door.

Great sounding reciever for home theater. Plenty of
inputs for hooking up endless # of components. I paid $760
delivered. I went with this reciever over a Dennon for home theater use. If just interested for audio I think a Dennon would have been my choice. I like the fact that it has a built in DTS with the reciever. The Dennon unit did not. After watching several DTS DVD's, my personal feeling is I prefer DTS.

Steve Pierkowski   [Jan 22, 2000]
Strength:

Clean power. Versatility. Listening customization. Wonderful Sound!

Haven't really discovered any yet except maybe my own slow uptake on all the features and functions that this unit offers. Takes a little getting used to after years of just flipping the power on switch and then turning the speakers on!

After 23 years with a trusty and excellent Yamaha CR-1020 receiver decided it was finally time to join the digital age. Looked and listened for about six months. Like most folks would like to be able to afford being an audiophile (it's that champange taste with the beer budget thing!). Auditioned quite a number of different brands. One frustrating aspect when shopping is wanting to drive your own speakers when auditioning so everthing sort of becomes 'relative'. Ultimately came to the conclusion that Yamaha has not lost their focus. Clean, Natural Sound. Like another reviewer said, I also miss some of the versatility that my old receiver had, i.e., midrange attenuation, however, the RX-V995 more than makes up for that in a lot of other ways. I especially appreciate the ability to tailor the sound to the room via the presence, delay, etc. controls. This new unit is driving an old pair of ESS Amt1b's that were purchased at the same time as the CR-1020 and I was concerned about any replacement unit doing justice to the ESS's. I firmly believe that no matter what speakers you may be driving that as long as they are reasonably efficient the RX-V995 will give the clean powerful neutral sound that you are looking for. This unit does not add any coloration and absolutely no 'noise'. First time hookup is a little bit of a challenge for us old folks still in the 'stereo age' and I am still learning all the features and functions that this unit has, but I can say that I believe that in this price range that you would be very hard put to find anything that exceeds the performance of this unit. Thanks Yamaha.

Similar Products Used: Current system.
Mains-ESS Amt1b
Surrounds-Definitive Tech BSP2X
CD-Denon DCD1500
Tape-Nakamichi 480
VCR-Panasonic 4569
Wish List-Add center channel, subwoofer, but next on my list is a DVD player. Considering the Pioneer 626. Appreciate all the other reviews as they are very helpful in trying to formulate a final decision. Thanks to all the other folks that submit their opinions.