Yamaha RX-V793 A/V Receivers

RX-V793

justin bacon   AudioPhile [May 24, 2010]

i like the stereo i really do. it was given to me from a christian couple. i was so excited to bring it back to my house and fire it up. Still to this day, im impressed with. But 800 dollars is not worth it though. probly 400 would do the trrick. but its over now. i still love it though.

Aduma   AudioPhile [Jul 08, 2006]
Strength:

Digital decoding from my computer. I just plugged it in and it worked. Using coax output.
Preouts on all channels.
Built like a rock.

DSP modes are essentially useless, I always have them off.
Cannot drive 4ohm load into rear speakers.

Needed something for a basic surround setup. I wanted something with two coax digital inputs, which this has.

Mains: Event 20/20s.
Center: EV Sonic XS (very sweet for computer speakers)
Surrounds: Polk R15 (needed something, they are cheap)
Sub: McCauley 6232 in a custom box driven by QSC PLX 1602.

This receiver has plenty of power to drive the 20/20s and preouts for all channels which is nice. (I drive the center channel using the preout.) I can only ride the volume control up to about 1/4th before it is too loud.

I would highly recommend as a basic receiver, provided you don't absolutely need component switching. If you can find it cheap, it is a worthy receiver.

Customer Service

N/A

imgettingcloser   Audio Enthusiast [Mar 10, 2005]
Strength:

Great sound from a 80x5 watt reciver. Some good DSP's Well built ( never had a single problem in 6 years ).

Lack of S-video and digital audio inputs. No bannana connectors of suround and center channel. A bit outdated as far as processing ( no 6.1 or 7.1, no DTS,or the newer Prologics).

Bought it new in 1998 when DD 5.1 was still a bit new. This is a very good reciver. Has many DSP's that are very good ( Jazz, Rock Concert, And of course the DD and DP.) and some that aren't ( Church, Concert Hall, And Stadium ) they sound like your in an echo chamber. Remote is a liitle out there, too many buttons and most are to small, I use the One for all kamelon ( it is a great remote ). The sound from the onboard amplifier is very good, clean power. Features of this reciver are decent, has all the main inputs and outputs ( love the fact that it has the 5.1 outputs to hook up seperate amplifiers ). But it needs more Digital audio and S-video inputs plus there are no component video inputs but as there was no component video when it was made that is understandable. But I think this was/is a great reciver for HT and music. Great sound and looks. But since I started upgrading my system this will get replaced, but it will be the last part of the system to go. My System: Reciver: Yahama RX-V793 CD Player: Denon DCM-370 DVD Player: Denon DVD-1000 Phono: Rotel RP-855 Cartrige: Shure V15VxMR Amplifier: Adcom GFA-7400 Main Speakers: B&W 602's V1 Suround Speakers: B&W 602"s V1 Center Speaker: B&W CC6 Subwoofer: Velodyne DLS-3500 Speaker & interconnect cables: Blue Jeans Cable

Similar Products Used: None
Bob R   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 01, 2003]
Strength:

Clarity of Movie sound, Remote (complicated but powerful), durability - no problems in 4 years.

Remote (too complicated for my wife!), no DTS, no newer features like DTS ES, 6.1 matrix, pro-logic II.

My first entry into Dolby Digital. Have owned since 1998 and love this receiver. Tried Sony, Teac, Pioneer and this blew them away. Sound is crisp and clean. Use nearly 100% for Home theater. I am now n process of upgrading to newer 6.1 DTS ES discreet, Pro Logic 2 model... probably Yamaha HTR-5590. No regrets with the 793. I'm sticking with Yamaha.

Similar Products Used: Sony
The Harmaniac!   an Audio Enthusiast [Nov 17, 1997]

After almost convincing myself to buy the Denon AVR-2400 ($699 MSRP), I finally got to listen to this new receiver from Yamaha ($799, MSRP) in a side-by-side comparison thru a decent set of speakers (not the little in-wall crap down at my local Good Guys store!). Wow!! The biggest difference, IMO, was the bass extension on the Yamaha; MUCH deeper and punchier! Don't get me wrong, the Denon had aLOT of good things going for it, not the least of which was it's crystal clear highs. But, according to the ears of my wife and I, the Yamaha won the battle in the end. Plus, feature-for-feature, I feel like I'm getting more bang-for-the-buck with the Yamaha RX-V793: built-in Dolby Digital, 2 S-video inputs (one in front), on-screen menus (but enough controls on the front panel, too), 80 watts all around, and eight DSP modes (including Movie Theater and Jazz Club). This is a VERY new receiver, but if anyone out there has one yet, please post your views about it! As for me, I would give it a full five stars based on performance, quality, and features for the price point.

Mauro Vischetti   Audio Enthusiast [Feb 21, 2000]
Strength:

Great stereo sound quality. Highly musical, and can drive even the toughest speakers.

Rear is a little "flimsy".

Overall, I am very satisfied with the product. It is a good
compromise between HT and pure audio applications. I wanted
a HT system, but didn't want to give up on "pure" audio
quality. Listened to a lot of receivers in my price range
(about $800 at the time) and was most impressed with this
receiver. I'm using Sonus Faber Concertinos as my main
speakers (notoriuosly not easy), and totally satisfied with the results. My low budget has forced me into completing the
rest of the speaker system with AR center and rear, and Infinity SU80. AR's are ok, but I wish I could have at least
been able to get the Sonus faber center. I was actually Pleasently surprised by the Infinity sub. Not a lot ooomph,
but very musical ! To make a long story short, it is only because of the versatility of the receiver that I can obtain
better than acceptable results with this speaker set-up.
It manages to pick up the slack ! I also agree on the remote, big and useless...almost .

Similar Products Used: My first DD receiver..
Alexander   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 04, 2000]
Strength:

Great Sound

Durability; Service

As far as sound and power are concerned, I have no problems with the Yamaha. It has both great sound and ample power for its price. What irritates me is its durability. After merely one year of use (and mind you, my equipment is not abused), it already conked out. Last week, I just turned on the power and smelled something burning. I immediately turned it off. After a few minutes, I turned the power on again and there was no sound. What irritates me further is the service center here in the Philippines (GA Yupangco). According to their people, it will take ONE MONTH to merely find out what the problem is, and around THREE MONTHS AT LEAST to repair it (depending on parts availability). Some of their technicians that servicing may take as long as SIX MONTHS--too much. To all you Philippine buyers, avoid Yamaha, it has lousy service. Buy a Pioneer, Onkyo, Sony or if you can afford it, a Denon instead. Four months wait for servicing is too much. Shame on you Yamaha! For that you get the lowest rating!

Similar Products Used: Pioneer Receivers
Jim   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 23, 2000]
Strength:

flexibility, power, build quality, great sound

the volume control has that "looseness, or free play" that seems characteristic of many Yamaha products.

I picked this HT receiver up at a pawn shop for $300.00, in excellent condition with a one week satisfaction guarantee but, no remote. I figured I could get a remote for around $50-100 dollars. Well, new from Yamaha the remote is $160.00, more from 1-800 remotes (a rip-off place, I think) Then, one day I walked into my local Good Guys and mentioned I had the RX-V793 but needed a remote, and the salesman said, "Oh, I happen to have one in the back room from my reciever, the cover came off and I had it replaced under warranty, you can have this one." Wow, they really are good guys!! So, I got a remote with no cover, (he said that will affect some of the controls, I haven't figured out which ones yet as I use only about 6 functions on this somewhat ridiculous 10 million function remote anyway!) So, enough of this story, on to how the reciever sounds and works, right?!
Obviously, I'm very happy on the great deal I got on this model, which I didn't know at the time retailed for $799.00 US. It was one of Yamaha's better home theater units in its day. I don't miss DTS, not convinced it sounds better that Dolby Digital. I don't have a full speaker compliment yet, working to improve my rear sorrounds and no subwoofer, although my fronts have very low bass, and with this receiver you can blend the LFE in with the front channel speakers. Would definately get more effect with a sub, though. I enjoy this unit with music, sounds very strong and clean, lots of detail and fun with HT, too. Expect much mor performace when I get a sub, and for music a separate amp/pre-amp combo would be better. Yet, overall this is a very nice compromise. I am using a Sony 530 DVD player for movies and CD playback, Hope to get a better CD player soon. I use the optical link for both, Monster cables all around, hope to improve there soon, too. And my favorite piece of this whole system, older Paradigm 3se minis for the front soundstage. They sound wonderful.
HINT: If you want to get a deal on this receiver, check eBay. They come up often, and for some reason never get very high in price. I thinks everyone wants the newer 795.

Similar Products Used: None, my first HT receiver and I've always owned Yamaha receivers!
Vir   Audio Enthusiast [Nov 29, 1999]

no s-video switching, no dts

Have owned this receiver for over a year now. Have enjoyed owning it. The DD and Prologic are excellent, as is the Yamaha proprietary movie mode. Stereo is also more than good. The one negative is that the radio sounds exceptionally tinny and does not catch many stations - even the ones a clock radio would catch. Otherwise, worth every dollar I spent on it.
Would highly recommend the 795 (which I understand is the same except it has dts and s-video switching) if it sounds like the 793.

Henry   an Audiophile [Dec 30, 1998]

Bought the 76983 yesterday and was very impressed by its sonic performance. Things have certainly improved since SSI was the only producer of surround sound products. BUT the learning remote is too damned confusing, and for me, is a major reason NOT to buy this product. I will decide over the 10 day return period whether or not to keep it. It is now discontinued and so I got it brand spanking new for $400.00 which is quite a bargain. But I hate the remote and will barely use it. Any other I've ever had was better designed. This thing is a travesty. If performance is the key factor, then this is a superb unit and for the mnoney a hands down winner. If you factor for a minimum of convenience then forget this unit and head towards any that comes with a useful and usable remote. SHAME ON YAMAHA-----