Yamaha RX-V793 A/V Receivers

Yamaha RX-V793 A/V Receivers

USER REVIEWS

[Jul 25, 2020]
DanielLacroix

Strength:

I have just recently purchased the 793 for $450CAN, I am very happy with the 793 it's DSP features are very clean and crisp(I love the jazz club). I am using the Yamaha CDC 655 to play my cd's as well as the Panasonic DVD-L10, to play my dvd's,and I record my music on a protable mini disc(MZ-R3) Even it's tuner is very strong with the help of coaxial cable input I am able to pick station that I couldn't before. I am using a optical cable between my CD player and reciver would recommend this Yamaha to anyone who is looking for a mid priced receiver. My only regert is that I didn't know that the 795 (it has DTS)was coming out before Christmas. None the less I am so happy to have jumped into the world of Dobly Digital. Nothing beats watching, I mean nothing beats expereincing TOMORROW NEVER DIES-limited adition through the 793! It's so great so have such a great apparel to listen to music when I get back from my elagage job. I wish I had bought it before!

I don't see any.

Used
[May 16, 2020]
DennyPewsey

Strength:

Wow! I just realized I nave had this Yamaha for 22 years. First used as my first Surround sound receiver and later for 2 channel stereo. It has always performed great, but I am sorry to say the balance control is malfunctioning sporadically. Surround modes still function, so may hook that back up for the bedroom and get 10 more years out of it!

You won’t hear me complain. I got my money’s worth.

$699.
[Mar 28, 2020]
jmore

Strength:

I have owned this receiver for 21 years. It's been a solid, dependable, basic receiver for decades. Rarely do you have a component lasting beyond ten years. This unit has outlasted two high end onkyo units, both failing after five years after purchase. The sound is clean and more than enough to power my Q Acoustics for basic play back.

How can you complain about a receiver that is working perfectly after 20+ years?

[Mar 28, 2020]
jmore

[Feb 10, 2019]
Geezer

Strength:

Over 20 years old and still going STRONG, as good as the day I bought from BB. Prior to this I had a Carver, it Lasted 10 years. Other then Radio, which is most of the time, I Play from a huge library on my I-Pod.

NONE YET, maybe unit weight

600+
1999
[Dec 11, 2018]
Japan

Strength:

Reliable powerful & versatile model. Still awesome to this day.

None, Yamaha rocks.

1999
[May 24, 2010]
justin bacon
AudioPhile

i like the stereo i really do. it was given to me from a christian couple. i was so excited to bring it back to my house and fire it up. Still to this day, im impressed with. But 800 dollars is not worth it though. probly 400 would do the trrick. but its over now. i still love it though.

[Jul 08, 2006]
Aduma
AudioPhile

Strength:

Digital decoding from my computer. I just plugged it in and it worked. Using coax output.
Preouts on all channels.
Built like a rock.

DSP modes are essentially useless, I always have them off.
Cannot drive 4ohm load into rear speakers.

Needed something for a basic surround setup. I wanted something with two coax digital inputs, which this has.

Mains: Event 20/20s.
Center: EV Sonic XS (very sweet for computer speakers)
Surrounds: Polk R15 (needed something, they are cheap)
Sub: McCauley 6232 in a custom box driven by QSC PLX 1602.

This receiver has plenty of power to drive the 20/20s and preouts for all channels which is nice. (I drive the center channel using the preout.) I can only ride the volume control up to about 1/4th before it is too loud.

I would highly recommend as a basic receiver, provided you don't absolutely need component switching. If you can find it cheap, it is a worthy receiver.

Customer Service

N/A

[Mar 10, 2005]
imgettingcloser
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Great sound from a 80x5 watt reciver. Some good DSP's Well built ( never had a single problem in 6 years ).

Lack of S-video and digital audio inputs. No bannana connectors of suround and center channel. A bit outdated as far as processing ( no 6.1 or 7.1, no DTS,or the newer Prologics).

Bought it new in 1998 when DD 5.1 was still a bit new. This is a very good reciver. Has many DSP's that are very good ( Jazz, Rock Concert, And of course the DD and DP.) and some that aren't ( Church, Concert Hall, And Stadium ) they sound like your in an echo chamber. Remote is a liitle out there, too many buttons and most are to small, I use the One for all kamelon ( it is a great remote ). The sound from the onboard amplifier is very good, clean power. Features of this reciver are decent, has all the main inputs and outputs ( love the fact that it has the 5.1 outputs to hook up seperate amplifiers ). But it needs more Digital audio and S-video inputs plus there are no component video inputs but as there was no component video when it was made that is understandable. But I think this was/is a great reciver for HT and music. Great sound and looks. But since I started upgrading my system this will get replaced, but it will be the last part of the system to go. My System: Reciver: Yahama RX-V793 CD Player: Denon DCM-370 DVD Player: Denon DVD-1000 Phono: Rotel RP-855 Cartrige: Shure V15VxMR Amplifier: Adcom GFA-7400 Main Speakers: B&W 602's V1 Suround Speakers: B&W 602"s V1 Center Speaker: B&W CC6 Subwoofer: Velodyne DLS-3500 Speaker & interconnect cables: Blue Jeans Cable

Similar Products Used:

None

[Jan 01, 2003]
Bob R
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

Clarity of Movie sound, Remote (complicated but powerful), durability - no problems in 4 years.

Remote (too complicated for my wife!), no DTS, no newer features like DTS ES, 6.1 matrix, pro-logic II.

My first entry into Dolby Digital. Have owned since 1998 and love this receiver. Tried Sony, Teac, Pioneer and this blew them away. Sound is crisp and clean. Use nearly 100% for Home theater. I am now n process of upgrading to newer 6.1 DTS ES discreet, Pro Logic 2 model... probably Yamaha HTR-5590. No regrets with the 793. I'm sticking with Yamaha.

Similar Products Used: