Yamaha HTR-5930 5.1 Channels Receiver A/V Receivers

HTR-5930 5.1 Channels Receiver

A wide-range frequency response, along with Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic, DTS decoders and 7 DSP soundfields, makes this 550W receiver a digital powerhouse, so you can enjoy your favorite movies and music

gwolfe   Audio Enthusiast [Dec 30, 2006]
Strength:

Price, performance, layout

No dedicated phono input for old school listeners who still like their LPs.

This 5.1 home theatre receiver from Yamaha is a solid entry level pick. It fills a small to medium sized home theatre room with full sound, and I perceive lower levels of distortion than I did with my older Technics receiver. One advantage it has over other entry level receivers is an ability to adjust bass and treble across the range of processed audio formats. It comes equipped with many sound field programs (including a 5 channel stereo mode that I find reproduces 2 channel music very well through my Polk speakers. This mode is advertised for background music at a party, but I find it works well for routine listening). Its various stadium/theatre/concert hall options sound as good as those I have heard on receivers costing two to three times as much. The Roxy Theatre option works well for rock/pop and jazz.

Control layout is intuitive, more straightforward than other receivers I have used in the same or slightly higher price range ($400 or less). The remote is filled with small buttons, but that is par for the course these days. At least the volume, mute, and input buttons are pretty easy to find. It would be nice if the power button (top right) was in a different color or a bit bigger, but you'll remember where it is pretty quickly. You probably will use something else as a universal remote anyway.

I hear Yamaha builds a fairly sturdy product, so I am hoping it holds up well. It certainly runs a lot cooler than my older Technics which I am still using in another room.

Be aware that there are no dedicated inputs for a phonograph if you still use one. It comes with the expected component video and optical audio jacks.

For anything less than $200, I consider this receiver close to a steal so far.

Similar Products Used: Technics SA-1050 (another reasonable choice but this line has been discontinued)
OVERALL