Technics SA-EX110 A/V Receivers

SA-EX110

S-m-I-t-H   Casual Listener [Sep 15, 2009]

i think is is a good unit by its self but if u hook up a pioneer graphic EQ (GR-860) it makes it alot better and i have 2 rca tower speakers and it kicks them hard the only problem i have had with it is that it heats up way 2 much and needs plenty of room 2 cool

jkraeck   Audio Enthusiast [Apr 11, 2002]
Strength:

Clean power, no hiss with a clean input til volume past 3/4 full. Logical controls.

Spring clip connections for speakers.

This is a very nice stereo receiver for the price. It was purchased to replace a 22 year old receiver which had finally given up. I was not looking for HT, and this seemed the best of the 2 channel units carried by best buy. I did not shop extensively for it, as the need was immediate. I later learned that it garnered a CR Best Buy, and I concur. It served for over a year as my main system. It has since been moved to the basement, connected to the computer for moving my LPs to CD. A good receiver at a good price. There are better, but I would rather put the money into speakers.

Similar Products Used: Technics SA-300 (circa 1978).
Milton Saurina   Audio Enthusiast [Sep 07, 2001]
Strength:

Potencia muy buena

No se pueden escuchar los parlantes A y B juntos

Es un excelente sintoamplificador para uso hogareño y para pequeñas fiestas

Similar Products Used: Sony, Aiwa, Kenwood
will   Casual Listener [Dec 07, 2000]
Strength:

***this review actually for SA-EX140, a step up or newer (i don't know) from 110***
cheap. good&loud sound for price. good remote. nifty volume knob remote adjustment thingy.

a & b speakers don't work at the same time. volume difficult to adjust in small increments from remote.

it's a good solid reciever for the price. neither the sound nor the reception is great, but it's really not that bad for a highschooler's bedroom. if you just want to listen to stereo music and not spend much money at all it's a good choice. all i know is it sounds better than my old koss boom box.
maybe all receivers have this, but i thought that it was pretty nifty how the volume knob turns by itself when you adjust it from the remote. this wow'd most of my friends. unfortunely it is very difficult to adjust the volume in small increments from the remote, so if you need it just a little louder or softer, you have to get up off your ass.

Similar Products Used: Technics SA-424 (straight outta the '60s)
Frank   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 16, 2000]
Strength:

Plays my music while my Sony is being fixed

Bad/flat sound, cant play A+B speakers together

I have this unit as a loaner while my 5 year old Sony receiver is being serviced, receiveing a heart transplant (power transformer is being replaced). For once, Circuit City stepped up and offered good customer service by loaning me this unit while my receiver is away at service in another state :( being fixed for the second time after they didnt fix it right the first time.

ANYWAY...

My Sony STR-D665 was not top of the line either, but the sound quality from this Technics unit is really quite lousy and flat. The bass is very flat, sounds muffled and punchy, and the treble is also flat and
dull. I wanted to at least rig my surround speakers to the "B" outputs to at retain some surround sound, but you cant play A and B speakers at the same time, which is quite odd. The receiver also runs much much hotter than my Sony. I know this is a lower end unit so I obviously wont bring the lack of surround sound into debate.

I cant think of anything redeeming to say about this unit except that it could be useful as a bedroom set, for a small business playing elevator muzak or
for in the garage. For the same price you'd be better off buying an Aiwa mini-system which sounds much better than this thing. I really miss my Sony!! Based on this experience i dont think i would consider buying Technics products. I have heard Pioneer 2 channel receivers and they sound much better than this thing. Its really a piece of junk.

Similar Products Used: Sony, JVC receivers
stephen   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 07, 2000]
Strength:

Very Powerful Class H Amp. Almost impossible to clip
Easy control layout.Sounds great with Snell speakers and Cambridge Soundworks Sub Woofer.

Not for Home Theater. Just straight stereo.

The best value on the market for just great stereo performance. If you want dolby or home theater this unit will not do.
Amazed at the volume it reaches with no effort at all.
Will keep for years or until want home theater capabilities.
A great value.

Similar Products Used: Nikko and Kenwood receivers.
JC   Audio Enthusiast [Jul 28, 2000]
Strength:

POWER

A&B SPEAKERS

FOR ONE I LIKE IT BUT IT'S A LITTLE TO BRIGHT ON HIGHS AND NOT ALOT OF DETAIL IN THE SOUND IT'S GOOD FOR COLLAGE STUDENTS BUT 4 ME IT'S A NOISE MAKER SO I TOOK IT BACK 2 CURICUIT CITY AND GOT A ONKYO TX-SV373 AND I CAN HEAR THE DIFFERANCE BETWEEN THE 2 AND I ALSO GAVE AWAY MY TECHNICS 15'S AND CD PLAYER AND WENT AND BOUGHT 4 DCM KX12SERIES2 SPEAKERS ONKYO CD PLAYER,NILES 6-WAY SPEAKER SELECTOR,4 DCM KX6SURROUND,DCM CENTER,AND A VELODYNE CT100 ALL FOR ABOUT 2,200 DOLLARS AND I'M VERY HAPPY BUT I THINK I WILL GO BACK AND GET AN ONKYO AMP,DVD,UPGRADE MY RECEIVER TO A ONKYO TX-DS777 IN THE COMING MONTHS BUT IF YOU JUST WANT LOUD MUSIC BUY TECHNICS

Similar Products Used: MOST TECHNICS
Geoff   Audio Enthusiast [Jan 16, 2000]
Strength:

cheap, good power

"colored" sound

Bleh. This amp is good for the price, but don't expect any miracles when it comes to sound. The frequency responce is just not as flat as I would like it to be. It seems to emphasize the midrange too much, and the bass is not discrete (small damping factor?). Running the input through a graphic equalizer helps alot, but one should not have to do this. I am listening on a pair of Ohm C2 speakers. I have listened to them with a harmon/kardon, so I know what they should/can sound like. I am learning that not all amps are created alike.

Michael   Audio Enthusiast [Oct 24, 2000]
Strength:

Low price and enough power. Could be worse I suppose.

Not flat frequency response, colour the sound. Muddy bass

Well, I needed a stereo receiver for my music only system in my bedroom and this was cheap. I bought it, lived with it. But now that I have learned a lot about audio I'm going to get an integrated amp (probably NAD C340, Creek 4330 or Cambridge audio A500).

I'm sure that someone can be quite happy with this amp, but if what you're looking after is high quality sound, this is not the product you need.

I does the job well for the price though. Better than a minisystem, good for college students (I am one, so it's not an insult) I suppose.

Like others have said; you can't play speakers A and B at the same time (not a problem if your system if for 2 channel music only). You have a phono input and the remote is OK. The tuner is maybe a little weak but does the job very well for the price (but get a better antenna than the one that comes with it).

This thing can play very loud and I guess it could be a good party receiver since it's inexpensive. It runs kinda hot though and it should have enough space above it to cool down correctly.

The front is plastic and the rest is metal.