Technics SA-AX7 A/V Receivers

USER REVIEWS

[Dec 29, 2014]
padobranac
Audio Enthusiast

Great ''vintage'' amp which leaves a great impression on me. Still using it as my main home theater as well as stereo system since 2000. and haven't experienced any problems at all. This unit still doing it's job as well as 14 years ago. All these years have connected pair of bi-amp T200 speakers from same era + 3 sattelites CSS250 and the sound is still rich and clear. Regarding to amp quality and despite of lack of HDMI connection (but who cares), the main highlight is definitely 6-ch descrete analog input which gives the possibility to connect any of modern blu-ray players with internal DAC and analog outputs (like oppo or bd390).
Since the amp is capable of handling encoded lossless sound, right before expansion of all those modern lossless formats I enjoyed the lossless sound of dvd-audio discs from my panasonic dvd-audio/video player connected to amp's 6-ch analog input. So, this unit still offers very reliable and fairly loud sound clarity of modern lossless audio formats like TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. Great solution for those owners who still won't give up from this decent peace of amp.

[Aug 07, 2010]
phileserver39
Audio Enthusiast

This is a pretty decent amp. I have mostly used it for 2 channel listening with my home studio. Currently I am driving a pair of Infinity SS2005 speakers and I am satisfied. This amp does run pretty hot. At 30% volume it is almost too hot to touch the top vent. The bi-amp feature is great if I ever get biampable speakers. Also, should I ever get a passive sub this unit has a separate sub amp. Also, the VGCA mode sound great.

[May 22, 2003]
stanksley
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

High power (especially in Bi-Amp mode) Bi-Amp VCGA (clean sound) 100W Sub amp built in

(SFC) Sound Field Controls not very good Requires study to get best sound Sub amp too weak

Great receiver for the money. VCGA cuts out significant noise (.05% THD at full power in VCGA mode). Bi-Amp gives a dramatic improvment when connected correctly (I'm using Infinity Alpha 50 speakers). Lots of reserve power (100W X 6 channels @ 6 ohms) if you use it for home theater, though I haven't use it for this yet. Sub amplifier is nice, passive subs are cheaper. But 100W @ 6ohms isn't very much power either. I have a Technics passive sub, but it sounds so bad I only use it at very low levels. I would reccomend just getting a powered sub if you're a serious audiophile, the receiver has a sub pre-amp out put for this. Overall I'm very happy with this receiver, I will proably keep it as I try and make it the centerpiece of a mid-fi hometheater system.

[Nov 23, 2002]
jonascap
AudioPhile

Strength:

-very attractive unit (you have to love the thin blue light and glass door). -rare and much appreciated subwoofer channel with variable crossover and seperate level adjustment. -bi amp ability (a nice feature if you have speakers that can be bi amped)

cooling fan is turned on when the volume knob reaches a certain point, this is a poor approach to cooling the unit since it can heat up even under that volume or it can still be hot after you turn it down.

I have the Technics SA-AX7 with the digital decoder, it is truly a beautiful piece of technology. I have a JVC a/v 662v reciever which to me sounds better for plain stereo use (CD's, etc.), but does not compare to the AX7's surround capabilities. I strongly recomend this unit to anyone looking for an exceptional sound from dts or dolby digital sources. I unlike some other reviewers bought the decoder and reciever together and have one remote that controls both, this remote is both easy to use and attractive. Note that if you own this unit place the decoder below the reciever or for that matter anywhere except on top of the reciever, this unit does heat up and needs proper ventilation, your decoder does not like to be treated to the hot air the reciever produces. (pictures of this unit with the decoder often have the decoder on top, people responsible for this mishap should loose their jobs)

[Aug 30, 2002]
Jon Beam
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

all around good sound i like the look of the receiver and the subwoofer dial on the front of the receiver,

the only weekness that i can think of is the overload that happends.

I am very happy with the receiver i got it for my birthday from my father because i had a shelf system and was wanting to upgrade.because i had front cerwinv vega front chanels and jbl center and rear

[Feb 08, 2002]
Caleb77
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

subwoofer amp, and plenty of clean power to go around for everything else, I give this receiver the ranking of 5 overall for having the sub amp; a powerful one at that.

The usual complaints: Bad Remote, Useless Surround modes. But this is most receivers so I dont consider them quote on quote weaknesses

I have owned only Technics or Panasonic products. My first receiver was a saex100 purchased in 1996 at a rex store. A couple years later it was a surround receiver saax120 which really was to noisy. But then one day I was walking through American TV and saw the saax7 and had to have it. The thing that struck me is the Technics brand is the only brand that I know of that has incorperated an amplifier into their receivers to drive a passive sub. Driving a passive sub is ideal to me and much cheaper and this receiver does it real well. I put a 12in woofer into a ported car sub box and it blows away all of the cheap under 500 dollar powered subs out there. I paid 100dollars total for the box and woofer.

Similar Products Used:

Saex100, saax120, speakers:sblx70''s 12inwoofers, sblx90,s 15inwoofers, and sblx10''s 6 3/4 in woofer,s.

[Aug 10, 2000]
SamTheKhan
Casual Listener

Strength:

Nice home theater system for someone that does not have a lot of jack to spend. Clear sound that even make my Technics speakers sound good. The Dolby Pro Logic is great and better than the last one I had. Where I bought it the guy said it was their best seller. I can see why. Though, it does not look anything like the reciever pictured in the review. It is the same model, but it has an "old school" look to it with Gold tinted brushed steel color with a flip down tinted cover. It looks and sounds expensive but it was more than worth the sale price of $179.

It is also Dolby Digital/DTS ready which I plan to buy soon.

Not a lot at this time. Remote is left to be desired.

If you are not exactly loaded, this is the system for you.

Technics SA-EX400

[Jan 28, 2001]
Peter Schmoll
Casual Listener

Strength:

Crisp, clean,

Poor volume control, poor remote.

Volume control could be improved. Not only is there no lighted arrow on the volume, but there is no decible reading. The remote moves the volume in too large of increments when you are trying to find that delicate volume as you try to fall asleep. As well, there is no sleep timer!

If you are not an "audio nutbar" but are looking for great value for money, this receiver will do everything the enthusiatic, casual listener needs it to do.

Similar Products Used:

N/A - but I have it hooked up to Energy C-2 speakers and the extra SH-AC500D Digital Surround Processor.

[Dec 02, 2000]
Eric O'Brien
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

powerful amplification, low distortion, crisp-clean sound, versatile A/V receiver. This is a great unit and it's packed with features!

for 400, there's no weaknesses! This is one awesome reciever!

There's no doubt about it: Technics has produced an awesome hi-grade A/V receiver with tons of bells and whistles. This product is available in a package deal (Receiver and Surround Sound Processor) from Crutchfield for 399 plus shipping. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a great system that's super for both 2 channel and surround/DTS listening! I have just finished Bi-Amping my front speakers (Klipsch RF-3's) and the sound is excellent! It features 100 watts by 6 channels (4 ohms) which includes your choice of passive or powered subwoofer output. If you get a chance, listen to this receiver/processor package. It's fantastic! 5 out of 5 stars in both value and overall rating!

Technics surround sound processor
Boston Acoustics Subwoofer

[Aug 27, 2000]
Bertrand
Audio Enthusiast

Strength:

High performance/low price, large terminals for high quality speaker cable, 6 channel Amp ( you can use a passif subwoofer !! )

No digital decoder built-in, no sub function on remote control.

Exceptional product for such a low price !! I wanted the SA-AX7 N ( champagne gold color, looks great too ! ) because I got a passif subwoofer in the same time : it is a 12" sub 200w max. much cheaper than the actif ones and it works just great with the adaptive control and the low pass filter of this receiver. My DVD player has the decoder built-in so I don't need the SH-AC500D surround decoder. I used to watch DVD's with my old good Kenwood processor surround on the 5 main channels and now with the Technics I got more power and a sub ( LFE ) which really add another dimension to the movies. Very clear crystal sound with the DVD , and good match with my Kenwood stereo for the music ( I use an equaliser though ). Also my Cabasse Goelette speakers are much more efficient with this amp because the Adaptive Subwoofer Control work also with the main speakers ;)
For the quality you get with this receiver of that price you really can't go wrong !!

kenwood